Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Cadillac Series 61 Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Fender1325, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to show my new ride.
    Its a 1950 Cadillac 61 Series Sedan.

Its my first old ride. So far Ive been doing my best to get the mechanicals right. New wheel cylinders brought the brakes back except the driver side front (I think the line is clogged.)

Ive cleaned out the gas tank, had the fuel pump rebuilt, rebuilt the carb, replaced plugs,wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, coil, water pump, acid bath for the radiator, had to have the carb studs on the intake drilled and re-tapped because 2 snapped when removing the carb (and then my reverse bit snapped in them).

Right now the gas tank to fuel line connection leaks a little, needs tires, I need to get that one driver side brake working, and the engine runs hot (i think due to rust build up inside). Also will need floor pans/trunk.

Attached Files:

2. Fender1325

Fender1325

I forgot to ask. This has the hydramatic. It seems that going up hills, it wont 4-3 down shift, or maybe its 3-2? I know theres a trans linkage to the carb, and it has play in it. Should I make that tighter?

3. Fender1325

Fender1325

Also have some videos:

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Invest in a factory shop manual. Available from Faxon Auto Literature.
    Not expensive, but one of the best things to spend money on.

Ray

5. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

x2!

Welcome, and congratulations for getting an old ride!

6. Fender1325

Fender1325

Thanks guys. I did get one from Rock Auto online for about 20 bucks. Less than half the price of most cadillac supply places. It helps with a lot, although many instances call for some special tool with its code name and can be confusing at times. A big learning curve for me here.

7. john walker

john walker

tighter, yes. a little at a time until you like it. be sure you have full throttle first. it need to downshift with your foot to the floor.

8. Fender1325

Fender1325

sorry for the final question, is it ok to leave the throttle wide open while I mess with it? I guess with the car off the jets only do 1 squirt of fuel, so I wont be flooding it right? Sorry, this is my first carbureted engine even. Thanks a bunch John

9. Fender1325

Fender1325

I figure I'll post here from now on about my car rather then the brake or transmission threads ive started for this car.

Heres my currenr problem:
    Car runs just dandy when its cold. Itll heat up after a bit, and once I shut it off, when i come back it just wont catch. If i manually push the butterfly closed it fires up, but dies.

I have a see through in line fuel filter before the fuel pump. Its starting to get some junk in it, after only being in there a month and rarely driven. I originally hosed the gas tank out but I think its sucking up rust particles now.
    The fuel filter is never filled with gas. Its about 80% air and you see gas just sortve splash in there while its running.

The tank itself doesnt leak, although ive had a bit of a leak where the line joins. I hate to spend $400 on a new tank. Should I just hose it out and put some kind of rust prevention coating in, or is it too late once its started rusting?

Also had some old bitches today from the home owners association where I rent, say Im not allowed to be working on my car there. Even though Im quiet, work on it during the day, and clean up my tools after any time, thats still a problem.

10. Fender1325

Fender1325