Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric fans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

[Quote Need Lovers ?]
    This is my default advise every time! I understand Blue One is in a situation where he really doesn't have much of a choice, but I'd exhaust ALL of my mechanical possibilities long before picking the electric option.
    If the choice absolutely positively HAD to be electric, I would only deal with OEM stuff and build my own bracketry and shroud.[/QUOTE]

Based on this and the space limitations I have with the requirements of a 12"-14" maximum fan diameter what OEM fan would you suggest looking at ?
    I'm open to a wrecking yard search.
    If you look at my build thread pictures you will see that the mechanical fan is out for obvious reasons.

2. Hey Need louvers how much room do I need to run the Cadillac setup you have? Any particular vintage of fan you are using? I have been thinking more and more about running a mechanical fan just worried that it might not move enough air at idle in the heat with A/C on but we don't see heat like you have down there.

Should probably just bring the car down there again for the Winter and let ElPolacko have his way with it.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Based on this and the space limitations I have with the requirements of a 12"-14" maximum fan diameter what OEM fan would you suggest looking at ?
    I'm open to a wrecking yard search.
    If you look at my build thread pictures you will see that the mechanical fan is out for obvious reasons.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I've been looking, and I see where you are at. Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you. I think I would hit a wrecking yard and look at later model foreign cars like Honda and Nissan, Toyota and such. There has got to be something out there that you can package well for your application.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You are going to need at least 4" out ahead of your fan pulley. My Clutch fan is exactly 31/4" deep from the pulley out. It is from a late eighties Sedan Deville. I ended up trimming the blades a touch to make everything fit happy, then did a quick balance check and re- balanced a as necessary.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll spend some time in the import section as well as the domestic side, tape measure in hand :)

6. Hot Rod Rodney

Hot Rod Rodney
    from USA

Yeah, sorry, no offense intended.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D Fitting in will mean not jumping all over the locals ;)
    And you really have no way of knowing if I did, or did not search and read what was available or even if I was around here during the time a lot of it was posted :)
    Carry on with the fun :D

8. t-rod

t-rod

I'm late to the party, but here's my 3.8 Taurus fan in a shroud I bent up mounted to my 26 roadster with a 29 Ford shell.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

9. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

I used a set of 11" each 4 seperated speed electric fans from a 1996 INFINITY Q20 . These fans are so quiet and lasted me over 5 years of use until I put a clutch fan back on to sell vehicle . They have a sweet shroud already on the fan unit . Goodluck at junkyard .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

I can say from experiance I have been running a Ford Taurus fan for 5 years on my 65 Elky. They kick ass!

11. Got yourself in a pickle but good now I see. Take a look at maradyne fans too.

If you try, with imagination, you can get things into places you wouldn't ever think possible.

Some subtle dimensional stretching of space that fails to be caught by most eyes.

If the car is raked, you can scoot the bottom of the radiator forward & rake it back some. You can add a section to the grille and make it deeper/thicker, then slide the radiator into the grille a little further. The grille shell to cowl edge stays the same but the radiator and grille nose is further out.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

13. Hoptup32

Hoptup32

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you guys don't stop with the funny stuff the poop is really gonna hit the fan :D

fan.png

This is a serious thread, STOP IT ! :D

15. mfp-66

mfp-66

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

In looking at the space I have ( not very much :)) and all of the available options, I am coming to the conclusion that I only have one way to go.
    OEM fans are all going to be too thick.
    I have located a Spal 13" fan that is only a hair over 2" thick that I think will do the trick.
    mounted up like mfp-66 did and I believe I'll be good to go.
    http://www.truckerac.com/spcofanasva5.html

18. I've had good luck with Flexalite fans.

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I looked again at Flexalite this morning and they seem to have one that will fit.
    I took a tape and with any luck I can find a local dealer who has one that I can see.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

22. scott51

scott51

90's VW & Audi's are another similar option too http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/img/Zoom/z-TFS217.jpg

I just grabbed a brass M14 fitting from the local pipe shop (I forget exactly what it was) and turned down the outside to create bit of a shoulder, made soldering it in the rad tank really easy.

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

An update and final solution for this thread.
    The Flexalite fan I posted above was the thinnest available and was what I went with.
    I fabbed up a flat shroud for it and mounted it so it clears my engine pulley on the Y Block.
    Since it was going to block off a fair bit of the rad besides the fan area I decided to open things up a bit rather than rely on the fan and flat shroud that are mounted pretty close to the rad.
    I like the results and think that it will work well
    Larry.
    Fan, rad and shroud 006 (2).jpg Fan, rad and shroud 009 (2).jpg Fan, rad and shroud 008 (2).jpg Fan, rad and shroud 014 (2).jpg Fan, rad and shroud 015 (2).jpg Fan, rad and shroud 017 (2).jpg

plumbid and loudbang like this.
  24. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

Cool idea for the fan mount, I might have to "borrow" that idea. :')

25. loudbang

loudbang

Great work looks real good.