Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Stray Kat Kustoms / STARLINER / September 5 & 6, 2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Aug 7, 2014.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stray Kat Kustoms will be hosting the 6th annual Starliner on September 5 & 6, 2014.
    This is the purrfect place to host the show because aviation is a big part of Wichita and
    it is a kool back drop for the show. The building was built in the early ‘40s and is a kool
    art deco structure.

Please go to their web site below to check out the museum.

www.kansasaviationmuseum.org

Registration will be open from 10:00 am to around 1:00 pm on Friday at the host hotel. All day Friday, the show is a moving show. We go on a Garage Krawl to visit shops all over the Wichita area. We will provide maps at the host hotel. During the cruise we will tour some professional shops and tour private collections. The past five years this is one of the highlights of the weekend.

Saturday the show will be at the Kansas Aviation Museum in Wichita. The past five years has been a good fund raiser for the museum. Five dollars of the entry fee will be donated back to the Museum. This will cover the cost for all of the car entries to be able to enjoy the museum. We will open the gates at 8:00 am and you will be able to park around the airplanes. It sure makes for a kool photo op. We have artist from all over the mid-west attend the show. Saturday afternoon Julie Majors will perform and she has been blessed with a lot of talent. We will start the trophies around 3:30. Saturday evening we will be leaving the host hotel to attend a private showing of the art show at the Go Away Garage. Last year was the first time that we did this and we had about twenty cars participate in the cruise.

Why Wichita?

1981 was the first year that I really started doing the car show thing. My third show was
    the Kustom Kemps of America’s Lead Sled Spectacular in Wichita. We drove up early
    Saturday morning and we were planning on spending the night at the host hotel but
    because I was only 18, they would not let me check in to my room. Not knowing anyone
    there, we just hung out in the parking lot at the hotel. We stayed as long as we could and
    then drove the three hours back home. Even though it was only for one day we had a
    blast! I had only seen one chopped Mercury before and it was at an indoor car show at
    the Starbird show in Tulsa. This was the first time I got to see a Mercury and kustoms in
    motion. They are kool sitting still but when you get to experience them driving around town,
    whoa, look out. Watching a Kustom a cruising is a whole different experience.

That weekend I was introduced to the important role that Wichita played in the Kustom
    and Hot Rod history. Can you imagine how kool it would have been to see Dave Stucky
    cruising Douglas in the Little Koffin. I love to hear the stories of those days.
    My late 50’s experience didn’t really start until the early 80s. Kustoms like Hub Harness ’59 El Camino, Doug Reeds ’50 Olds “aka Toad” and Johnny Hammond’s timeless ’58 Chevy
    Impala. I know that I’m leaving some of the kustoms that started it for me out but what
    a list. These guys introduced me to kustoms and that kool Wichita Style. The Kool thing
    is they are still cruising the streets today.

If you look at the mild kustoms above they're all about the profile.

Wouldn’t it have been kool to live in Wichita when, Starbird, Cushenberrry, Stucky, Farner,
    Eldon Titus and Carl Green were building some wild kustoms and cruising the streets. Since
    that day Wichita has not slowed down. Guys are still building them today and still doing their
    part keeping the Kustom and Hot Rods alive in Wichita. I’ve been blessed over the years to
    build relationships with a lot of koool people in the area and felt like Wichita should host a
    Kustom and Hot Rod event. Like every other town in the USA they’re too many car shows
    but I feel like they’re not enough kool ones. Wichita has a kool show in the Delano district
    but other then that one, not another show for the Kustom and Hot Rod enthusiasts.

The guys that I mentioned above influenced my foundation on what is kool and I’m very
    thankful that I was exposed to this legendary Wichita style. Today we have guys in the
    area (Jeff Meyers to name one) that are building kool Kustoms and Hot Rods that are influencing
    the younger crowd. I want to spot light some of the legendary builders and show them
    what they started years ago is still alive today and make sure that Kool will never go out
    of style.

If you have any questions just let me know. If I don't know the answer, I'll ask Jack...

Happy Trails,

Mick

2. Guess I better get busy! Looking forward to another great show.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Had a blast last year. Planning to bring more cars with me this time

4. 41 mopar

41 mopar

Almost time for the Stray Kat Power Tour....the Starliner edition. 28 more days...

5. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

My interior should be done in time for the show. In fact it should be done for Greaserama the weekend before. I'm ready for both shows.

6. gonmad

gonmad

Ok....... So who else is going?
    Mick, surely you didn't order up a hot one did ya?!?

Posted from the throne room using the Wicked kustom H.A.M.B. App!

7. neb-rivet

neb-rivet
    from Nebraska

I will miss it this year, but next year I will be there. The difference? I will be retired and ready to take in car meets without having to return to work on Monday!!!!!!

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Jimmy, I've ordered a nice kool day. I guess we will see what happens... :)
    Looks like a lot of kool showing this year. Starliner poster .JPG

Happy Trails, Mick

gonmad likes this.
  9. TraditionalKustoms

TraditionalKustoms

We're looking forward to checking out the show - our first time in Wichita. Thanks Mick for the hospitality!

-John

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Does the Garage Crawl start at 1:00 at the host hotel?

11. The latest weather shows a high of 73 degrees Saturday! That will be much nicer than the mid to upper 90's that it's been here lately.

12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Krawl begins at the host hotel around 10:00 am. Maps will be available at registration.
    The Weather looks like it going to turn out great... Love the idea of the temps in the mid seventies.
    Happy trails, Mick

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hope someone remembers a camera for those of us who can't attend...hint...hint!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Oh man the weather looks amazing! Sooo much better than last year. Any estimated numbers for attendance this year?

15. 41 mopar

41 mopar

Weather just kool. Looks about 50 cars around the parking lot tonight. We got in late missed the feed. Looks to be a super kool event tomorrow....

16. gonmad

gonmad

Mick
    ANOTHER great event brother!! And your weather forecast that you called in was near perfect too!! LoL!
    Thanks for making such a KooL event and weekend!
    Jimmy

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gonmad likes this.
  18. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Jimmy, always good to see you and your family. The boys are getting big and full of energy. One piece of advice. Keep moving. If not they'll gang up on you and we'll find you tiewrapped to a tree. Be safe.

19. gonmad

gonmad

That is a pretty killer pic Mick!

Herb, I hear ya about the boys! It certainly won't be long before they start trying to "get me"!! LoL!! It was good seeing you out and around and havin a ball man!!