Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Lead East

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Switchblade, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Johnny Switchblade

Johnny Switchblade
    from Upstate NY

Lead East in Parsippany NJ is this weekend.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you go take pics and post here

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've got some nice pics of Ford Mavericks, 78 Roadrunners, Stingrays, Camaros, and Mustangs from there! Even ratty looking 80's Cutlass's.
    But there were a handful of some really nice customs there, as well!

4. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Lead East has always been eclectic mix. I went to very first one with my scalloped '48 Chevy coupe. Parked next to a Isetta that had been sprayed with glue and covered in purple flock, sort of a fuzzy easter egg sort of thing. But it was worth making the trip, got to meet Ken Howard (Von Dutch) who was there in person. He had a handler with him as he was somewhat around the bend by then but just to see the legend in person was amazing. My comments after the event will not received well by management and I still have the letter banning me from Lead East forever sent to me by the guy who started it.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Only took about 4 pics on my phone, this was my favorite car there! Don Boeke built. linc-leadesast.jpg

6. Johnny Switchblade

Johnny Switchblade
    from Upstate NY

Awesome! Banned for life at the first show.
    This year was the 32nd year!
    What exactly, did you say?
    Terry Cook? The guy who started it?
    I've seen Grandpa (Al Lewis) and Butch Patrick from the Munster's, Big Daddy Don Garlits and his wife, Gene Winfield, Chip Foose, Dennis Gage, along with the Munster Coach and the Ghostbusters Ambulance over the years I've been going.

7. Johnny Switchblade

Johnny Switchblade
    from Upstate NY

Alas, this "post here" task seems too complex for this old fart.
    All of my pictures are on Iphoto and I can't single out pictures.

"My mother told me that my father was a circus freak, she just couldn't remember which one." M. Szylak

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  8. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

Lead East has become a rip off big time! I use to go to every year and it's become more expensive with less to do and see. Terry Crook is a greedy bastard. I'm glad The Dead Man's Curve show is taking most of his business, better cars and better vibe.

9. Johnny Switchblade

Johnny Switchblade
    from Upstate NY

Sweetdick2,
    Tell me more. Where and when?
    I have noticed the same thing about Lead East over the years, we go more out of tradition than anything.
    That, and for dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

I just Googled it; Mahwah.NJ. That's a half hour closer for me.
    Doesn't say a price anywhere...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  10. Yeh, It's just a business now. I want rods and customs and there used to be many more there. Sorry a '70 El Camino doesn't cut it. I'll look into the Deadmans Curve show and go to the revival.

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

We did Lead East this year as always. Some years are better than others, but the past 2 years have been excellent. Look, the monotony of Lead East is a reality. Many of the same cars, same people, same spots, etc. But the party is damn good one, and was still going strong at 2:15 am Friday night when they finally had to turn the music off. The mix of cars is eclectic, so there is something there for everyone, which as much as it is intended to please everyone, also manages to piss off everyone (the muscle car guys get tired of hearing doo wop, and the guys into the doo wop and earlier cars don't like the muscle cars). And though it's more expensive ($130 for a reserved spot for the whole weekend), I don't think it's unreasonable for what is basically a full 2 1/2 day party where I can come and go as I please. As much as I bitch about Lead East, it's one of the best shows we have on the east coast. I go every year, and I'll continue to do so.

12. Lead East is still a good show, BUT TIMES ARE A CHANGIN!!!! And you just cant please everybody. In this day and age it is mostly about MONEY< SADLY!!!!!!

13. newjersm3

newjersm3

Sure you can, DEAD MANS CURVE!

14. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

While I will admit that it is a great party... I hear the lead east rates are increasing...Lets see what it goes up to...It's really starting to get on the nerves of some of my club. Rumor has it that the fee is more and only comes with 1 wrist band, if you want a second for your passenger, it's more.
    What color was the 78 roadrunner...