Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49 Merc bent frame ?'s and part search

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by timdhawk, Aug 27, 2014.

1. timdhawk

timdhawk

My car is from N. Dakota and by looking at its frame has obviously seen more than its fair share of old potholed Nodak roads.
    [​IMG]
    I'm planning on taking it to a frame shop soon for some gentle massage work. I have a few questions first to help them out if needed.

1. Is the rear cross brace where the shocks mount to supposed to be angled a little or a straight 90*? The welds to the frame rails on the top are broke on both side's.
    [​IMG]

2. Is this trans mount cross brace salvageable? If so, is the tranny mount location supposed to be angled any or just flat? If not, does anyone have one laying around or be willing to cut one off an old frame and sell me????
    *[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. ton of mercury builds here, do a search!

3. timdhawk

timdhawk

OOOHHH goody!! The obligatory "do a search" response. Oh boy, I never thought of doing that...
    Ton of Merc builds here? Really? No shit? Thanks for that hot tip, Kreskin! Hope you didn't waste to much of your precious time typin' that shit up.
    I've only got 80 posts in over 4 yrs... trust me, All I do...is search. I didn't find the answers in over 5 pages of searching! So if you, with your vast expertise, can find the answers to my specific questions using "the search function" ... then by all means proceed to put me in my place. I will even donate $25.00 to the HAMB if you do. Otherwise, if your not going to be helpful and help others learn... STFU please!

Hnstray likes this.
  4. timdhawk

timdhawk

Well, after studying the rear cross rail section, I see that it was built that way. So we're good there. So that leaves the last question: does anybody have a 49 Merc trans mount frame section laying around?

5. Andamo

Andamo

How do the front frame rails look as far as being straight ? I'm wondering if the car was punched and the motor/trans. were driven backwards bending the trans. mount, and maybe the other rails.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Based on the pic of the trans mount, it appears to me it has suffered impact damage on the leading edge, twisting the section, and maybe bowing it back a bit.That should be pretty easy to straighten.

I agree with your opinion about the crossmember for the shock mounts. The angle seems to match that of the shock studs on the spring plates.

Ray

7. Just so happens I'm working on my 50 Frame as we speak. A 50 has a bolt in tranny mount and uses the same rubber as the 49. Maybe a sawzall and a drill for a up date would be a better move. Now, if you'll tell me what you want me to check as level I'll see if my rear shock mounts and 90 degrees for you. Also I did a grate deal of Search right here on the H.A.M.B. looking for a good frame blueprint prior to starting my program and Noda Fu---ing thing came up. Don't feel bad there. I also did a google for a frame print and nothing useable. I happen to have a 1950 body shop manual showing the frame with some numbers but nothing showing what you need or what I was looking for there. You wouldn't think it would be that tough in today's world.
    The Wizzard

8. Are you planning on using the stock trans? If not you may be building a new mount any way and probably is not a bad idea given the condition of your existing one. Tim

9. check out doctor detroits mercury build lots of pictures! Bet in your world you fit right in with a 72 IQ!;)

10. I like your style. Subtle, but to the point:D

timdhawk likes this.
  11. timdhawk

timdhawk

The rest of the frame looks pretty square and true. All the damages is primarily on the bottom. I presume from bouncing off rocks or off-roading across a farm field or two back in the day.

Thanks Ray. That's what I was hoping to hear.

Pist-n-Broke: would you mind shooting me a pic of the tranny mount in your '50 so I can cross reference it with mine?
    Yea, I'm gonna use my stock tranny. I guess between the frame shop and my torch, we'll see if It can be salvaged.
    Thanks guys for all the HELPFUL responses.

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Check all the lengths and diagonals with a trammel bar or tape measure and square up where necessary as a start. I would move on from there and fix things, one at a time. Measure twice, cut once! Easy for me to say from here without seeing frame in person as I'm not sure of your skills and tools at your disposal. If tranny mount is bent it appears fixable.

13. Here are 2 shots of the 50 mount. The best I can do for now. Hope it helps.
    The Wizzard P1010032.JPG P1010031.JPG

14. I just changed the trans mount last week on my '51 and my crossmember looked much more level than yours. It certainly didn't twist forward like yours. Not that I have any degree measurements to help you with, but at least helps confirm yours is out of sorts a bit.

15. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I didn't know '49 had a trans brace welded in.
    There are frame photos in my thread, but I have more that aren't posted.

16. Slopok

Slopok

Looks like someone pulled the engine out the bottom with the trans attached and didn't remove the trans mount bolt in order to twist it that much. That's doin it the hard way.

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I don't think so. Look at the dents on the leading edge. This car was run up on a rock or a stump or something substantial to twist that member up.

18. Slopok

Slopok

I sure hope so cause takin the engine out the bottom would really be dumb.

19. timdhawk

timdhawk

thanks guys. Found a tranny cross member to replace mine with. (thanx to kb cookout) Heading to the frame shop next week to get that frame cross member straightened out and confirm all things square.

20. Slopok

Slopok

When you install the new crossmember be sure to make it removable. Otherwise it makes it very difficult to remove transmission separately.

21. timdhawk

timdhawk

Is that why they went to a bolt in? Not enough clearance to slide it back when all is unbolted?

22. Slopok

Slopok

Yes, they actually expect you to remove it from the interior and out the passenger door. Imagine that with an overdrive. Heavy as hell! That's why the seat bottoms are so easy to remove. Easier to remove motor and trans as one.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  23. fortynut

fortynut

timdhawk the first order of business should be to sandblast the frame in order to allow you to check it for cracks. Checking for squareness would be the next step (picking symmetrical reference points on each side and measuring in an 'x' fashion --- certainly covered here on the HAMB). Next should come boxing of stress points, once it has been squared. Depending on the type of suspension you intend to use in the future, replacement of all wear surfaces with similar or better bushings, etc. would be logical, or major modifications --- as required by your own standards, and perhaps a bolt-in cross member. And last but not least, a coat of paint, POR15, or powder coating, and Bob's your uncle.