Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Early Baldy Caps, Baby Moons, Early Ford Wheels, information, pictures, anybody have any?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

I have a build thread going on my 32. Below is a picture of car and the era I am shooting to bring it back to, and a pic the wheels I will be using (15" F1 with the rears reversed). I would like to find a set of early baldy or baby moon caps that have the higher crown that fitting early Ford wheels (40-48 style, F1, early F100) in the second three pictures.

Does any body have history on these, manufactures?

I believe the 40 style lower crown are available without the logo, but I kinda like the higher crown look. If anyone has a nice set of four please send me a PM.

Post up your favorite pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. It's a great look. Post pics when you get it done.

3. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

They're pretty desirable these days. When they pop up on eBay they fetch between $4-500 a set. I got lucky and found three in a barn but they'll need to be rechromed. Sledge on here has listed a few complete sets as well as partials in the classifieds...in fact I'm pretty sure that's where I found these images. I first read about beanies/baldys in the rodders journal with Pat Ganahls '32 roadster and how he collected a pile from various swaps and sent the four best to the platers to be reworked and dipped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part of me wishes they'd get repop'd but chances are they'd be paper thin Chinese jobs that would never quite look the part. Ya gotta hit the swaps or the Internet but ya gotta be careful cause they're made for more than just ford. I bought a forth for my set that doesn't quite fit but I'll find a way to get er' on. JohnnyA

4. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

They were made back in the 70's by Cal Custom. I remember going into Ford Parts Obsolete in Long Beach back then. Joe Mac had new sets stacked up, I think they were $9.95 a set. I bought 2 sets, still have most of them.

5. Chris (Swenson) was looking for some awhile back maybe He can give you some ideas.

6. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Used to be common caps that were pretty cheap (inexpensive) for us guys that couldn't come up with the $35.00-$40.00 it cost for Americans!!
    Before "Chromies and Baldys" took off in the 50's it was also not uncommon to take original Ford caps and hammer the logo out then re-polish to create a smooth cap. The crown wasn't as high as the later aftermarket caps but by the time the logo was worked out the crown was a little more pronounced.

I've never done that to early Ford caps but I have straightened some that were pretty beat up and I can say that the quality of the stainless is very high...they're easy to work and polish up very nice

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

Chili, I certainly will!
    Yes, I have heard this.. I will send Sledge and Pat PM's, thanks for the information
    Stu, I will send you a PM....!
    Thanks Tim
    Rich, perhaps a mini English wheel would roll them out!

8. They come in several inside diameters, I'm looking for a set of early style in an 8 1/4".
    The repos just don't have the correct look.

Mick

9. image.jpg Yeah I've had a bunch, I find em one at a time at swap meets and bought a spendy set on here that 2 didn't fit ford wheels. Finally collected a set of 4...

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  10. Roadsir

Roadsir

Chris, Your roadster looks great with that W/T combo....The caps set it off too......nice job.

11. isn't the first blurry pic running Lincoln caps?....they came with or without the name....

12. Roadsir

Roadsir

...I can't completely tell from the picture myself, and I don't have any other photos.....What year lincoln are ya thinkin?

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

bbback up. Let's see some more pictures. Does anyone have a measurement of how deep the crown is on these caps?
    Thanks
    Eric

14. 2935ford

2935ford

A set on my 63 Bird I picked up a few years ago for next to nothing. They need a little work and rechroming but they are the real "old" deal. I made the mistake of buying a set of offshore caps before I found these.....what a waste of money. Dented them putting them on. 63 bird baby moons 003.JPG

15. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

If you do find some that don't fit Ford, say Chevy rims or another make, don't give up! You can get a set of spent ford caps and mate the 2 together. And it's not that difficult.

16. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

It's crazy how many rods had these. Look in Andy Southards book, "Hot Rods of the 1950s" and it's like half the cars had 'em! Can't believe no one has repopped them.

17. Me either. Seems like everyone is looking for them.

18. Roadsir

Roadsir

I was looking on Ebay at Porsche 356 caps. They look really similar, I would like to get my hands on one for a fit check.. Modifying or making a set wouldn't be out of the question.

There are probably hundreds or thousands hangin on walls.....I just got to hope they find there way into a swap meet box and not the landfill, or used to feed the dog.

Part of the problem in finding them is that original caps are identifiable, and may have a percieved value and get saved, versus a aftermarket baby moon that is crusty, gets tossed as you can still get a new baby moon, albeit not even close to the old ones.

19. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I've had several sets over the years, I sold a few Ford sets this year. They are 3.5" deep while most regular baby moons are 3". I bought some 60's chrome reverse wheels earlier this year that came with a set and I still have an NOS set in the box.

caps.jpg
    capsII.jpg
    dsfdf.jpg
    dfsfdsf.jpg

LOU WELLS and Hotrodmyk like this.
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, I just watched a buddy of mine spend about a year collecting a set of these...

21. If you just want to see if the Porsche cap fits, get a hold of a pre '66 VW cap. They interchange. If you want Porsche caps, go to any VW accessory shop. They have been re popped for decades.

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The baldies on some '40s-'50s trailer houses using 5 1/2" lug pattern wheels fit the same as auto parts store caps, but much heavier with thicker plating. The edges where cap meets wheel are more rounded like a stock Ford cap. The older US made Cal Custom brand was decent quality, then came the Japanese '60s light, flimsy stuff. When searching for Ford caps, bear in mind the '50-'58 Olds/'50-'66 Pontiac baldy looks ALMOST the same but has no flange for the bumps.

jailhousebob likes this.
  23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, you're going to find the Porsche cap deal is a non starter! The Porsche/ VW wide five caps are a bunch larger. The slightly domed Porsche caps that you are seeing are original to the mid fifties cars and as far as I know not currently reproduced, and make the Ford caps you are searching look positively common. The commonly reproduced Porsche caps are called "nipple" caps, and don't look anything like what we are discussing.

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I think what Roadsir is looking for is the real deal and and not a lookalike and will just have do what we have done and go out there and find some and pay what he has to.

25. Roadsir

Roadsir

I've been checking with a few local hoarders and no luck yet. Theres a few swap meets coming up in late September and October. If anyone has a set please PM me. Thanks

26. Roadsir

Roadsir

Back up. I found two driver quality, still looking if anyone has one or two more. I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Eric

27. Squablow

Squablow

I like these high crown ones too, I'd swap out my '40 standard caps for a set if I ever found some. Even the chrome "smoothie" wheels would benefit from the deeper crown, the current flat ones are a dead giveaway on the age of the wheel.

Great opportunity for a repop!

28. alchemy

alchemy

There's three in the classifieds right now.

Edit: Sold now.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  29. Roadsir

Roadsir

I. was really bummed that I missed these by a few hours. I have found two, and I am still looking for two. If anybody has one to four to help me on the 32 I would really appreciate it. Straight driver quality is OK.
    In the mean time post up some more pics!

30. Roadsir

Roadsir

Still trying to find two more caps if anyone has any to part with