Register now to get rid of these ads!

Take back Central AZ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tri-Powerguy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Mike? Keith? Bill? Chip? Guys with shitty cooling systems? Anybody? These crickets are getting kind of annoying. ...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Crickets? You've been "Sir not appearing in this film" for three months!!! I can be up for Saturday this week, after dark of course, and I was thinking about taking a ride up to the cruise night at 67th and Bell, too. Never been to that one.

3. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

First of all, its only been two months. And not even a full 60 days.... just seems like this thread is getting tired, thought I'd try stirrin' the pot!

4. Been following this and may I say what a cool thing...BUT every weekend must be like watching AG with the same guys in the same house every week. People just have other thing to do with family and friends. JW

5. I'm gonna try to make it out for this one. The coupe has been idle for far too long.

6. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I think Chip will chime in but Central used to go down two or three nights a week. Also, there are a handful of so called "cruises" that happen every week; 35th & Northern, The Pavilions, 67th & Bell.... etc. If our deal is every weekend too, it gives guys who are stuck going to musicals and such a chance to make ot out when they can.

7. Where's the DQ at?

8. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Just a stones throw north of Camelback, west side of Central.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely! If you have ever seen footage or articles on cruising on Van Nye's Blvd. over in L.A. from back in the day, Central in Phoenix was a very close second! Car Craft in the late seventies and early eighties did a long running series called "Cruisin' USA", and actually came over to Phoenix (400 miles) a few times versus other city's single shots. This street used to be bumper to bumper from McDowell north to Camelback on any given Friday or Saturday night. Throughout the eighties, there was also a small Wednesday night group that prowled about too. Nothing like weekend nights, but still good races to be had, and good times with friends too.

I though that getting some of that magic back would be easy, but it seems that those that did frequent this place no longer really participate, and other seem to think that the stupid light rail would make it impossible. I also believe that the whole idea of what a cruise night is has drastically changed in the last twenty years since the barriers went up, and the vast majority of folks involved today weren't around to remember. Either way around it, I will always be on the street I moved here to be near. Always have. It's fun, but if you are looking for Doo Wop, Poodle Skirts and spectator's choice trophies, they aren't here. What is here is the camaraderie of good friends, a possible adventure, and a good ride if nothing else.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  10. Love your passion Chip. I remember cruising Friday and Saterday nights in my Willys in the 70's and early 80' and it had died by the mid 80's and yes it was fun with good people. The young ones with there Jap shit box cars have their thing now, maybe its their turn... I don't know but its near impossible to get back what was so cool back then. JW

11. CRUD! Something else broke on the thing so it's grounded once again. One of these days...

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

13. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Anyone coming out tonight????

14. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

DQ sounds good right about now! I will be there around 8PM.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Trying to decide! Ronnie Olmstead needed some big branches that fell down in the storm last week cut up and cleared, so I went over and did it this morning.... Didn't think about allergies! Not doing so well at the moment, but if that changes in a bit I might head that direction about the same time.

16. Just curious, but has anyone been over to the Grand ave. cruise yet? One of these weekends I'm gonna make to Central to meet up with you guys.

17. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Where is it located?? Havent heard of it before.

18. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Well,, there was a "Massive" turnout last night. Jerry, Chip & myself!. Not much else going on. Was still a bit warm out but not too bad. Would be nice if there were more attendees!

19. AZ DESERTDOG

AZ DESERTDOG

Cruis'in Central Again..! That takes me back a few years to 1981 when a good family friend took me and my best friend down to Central for the first time, we were Freshman at Independence High. He had a bad ass Mustang King Cobra, ya... I know the Mustang body that most don't like but it was fast as hell. Our routine all through High School was taking my '70 Chevelle out on Saturday night starting out at Metro Center cruising around trying to pick up races. We'd go over to the East side of I-17 and run up and down Corporate Lane (23rd Ave). Then around 9:30-10:00 head to Central and do so more cruising and racing on 7th street. Damn... I sure do miss those days....

Let's see if you guys recall these iconic cars from back in the day...

I think his name was Scott, he had I believe a dark blue or purple 1970 GTO that was tubbed and had a blown big block

Another named Pat I think, he and his wife owned Performance Plus at 43rd and Olive, he had a Bright Yellow 1969 ProStreet Camaro

I remember a super fast dark blue '66 or '67 Ford Mustang Fastback and a Yellow mid '60's Corvette

Oh ya, there was also a wicked Green mid '80's Malibu that ran around town that had "Clean Green" on the rear spoiler

Once I get my '55 Chevy truck back on the road (replacing front end bushings and other items) , I'll have to come out and check Central out again

20. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Performance Plus was owned by Chris Thomson.

You may be thinking of my yellow Prostreet 69 Camaro with 6-71 blown big block. My wife worked for Performance Plus for a few yrs

21. AZ DESERTDOG

AZ DESERTDOG

Yes, that's the Camaro I remember... Awesome car!

22. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

23. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

That 67 fastback was Billy Hall

24. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Guys I sure have missed going up there. The day after Memorial day my alarm went off and I stepped into 2 inches of water thru my whole house, the water heater burst and I have been busy trying to put the house back together again ( Not Fun ). Anyway way I hope to be back up there in about 3 weeks, or for the reunion cruise. Take care guys hope to see ya soon.

25. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Anyone coming out tonight? I may bring the new car!

26. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

So,,, It looks like this thing is pretty much dead in the water?? Ever since we moved away from the closed McDonalds,, Theres no participation any more??

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I might be out in a bit Keith, I just delivered a customer's car and I'm sitting down to dinner as we speak.

28. Hopefully Chip can diagnose the ills that have beset my coupe and I'll be back cruising again. When's the next one?

29. Topspeed

Topspeed
    from Peoria, Az

Wow it's been a while since I was here the last time! Life gets in the way I guess. Some of The Grand Cruisers want to start meeting at Uptown Plaza. I'll keep ya posted.
    BTW Have you guys ever thought of making a Face Book page? It would be a lot simpler. You could get a lot more exposure that way as well. Just a thought.