Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheel dollies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roundvalley, Aug 29, 2014.

1. roundvalley

roundvalley

Do the small Harbor Freight wood moving dollies work O.K. to move a Model A around in the garage on a concrete floor?
    I think I have seen posts but can't find them. Thanks.

2. Yes.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

OK would be a good description. just OK. plenty strong, but the wheels are pretty much crap when you put the weight of a car on them. they don't roll real well, and they swivel, but not very easily. I have a couple sets, I used them to get cars close to the wall and close together.

if I had a car that needed to be moved around the shop more than once or twice I'd consider getting better ones or replace the wheels

on a positive note, they are cheap.

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have dollies under just about everything in my shop and yes they do work as long as you don't get to crazy with the weights you load onto them. Because I worked along for years I always put things on casters or dollies for ease in movement.

I even have my old molding racks on casters and each rack supports hundreds of pounds of weight and yet it only takes one person to move it.

Jimbo

5. The HF ones might work ok for an A...they sure suck for a 64 GMC pick up...

WillyKJr likes this.
  6. Any chance you could borrow a set? I have a set in my garage that I would loan you if you were in Los Angeles.

Charlie Stephens

7. I have some under a stock 28 RPU. They will roll, but not very well. Works better if you have two people to help guide where you are going cause they can have a mind of their own.

8. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I have some and they work OK as mentioned. Not sure if they were the cheaper ones as I bought them at a swap meet cheap. It sure beats using a floor jack under the axles and trying to roll and position a car that way.

9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I had the metal ones that are scooped in the center, but solid. The 1st time I went to roll my car out of the garage two of them came right out from under the car. Sold those suckers quick. Don't know about the small wooden furniture dollies though.

10. rockfish

rockfish

I've got two sets of the Chinese made dollies. Mine are sold under the Larin name I believe and look just like the Harbor Freight ones. I've used them under too many cars to count and think they work fine on a halfway decent concrete floor. Think I paid $40 or $50 for one set at my local farm supply store. Other set was a garage sale purchase. I've looked at the higher buck sets but I just don't move my cars around enough to justify the cost.

11. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have a HF set and they don't roll real well with a Model A on them, have a smooth floor and they require a lot of effort. They seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to direction, I've used my floor jack to take a little weight off them to move the car sideways.

12. Anderson

Anderson

13. cryobug

cryobug

I have a set and they worked ok on my 39 Ford coupe and a friends 48 Chevy coupe. I also used them to help another friend take his new in the crate Direct lift from the street where the trucking company dropped it to his garage about 100 yards away by pulling it with his lawn mower. Point is you can use them for other thing than moving your car around.

14. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I currently have a set of these (HF) under a '67 Chevelle and a fairly decent concrete floor. Well worth the price, roll easily and seem to hold up. (so far)

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Thinking that the higher price dolly set from Speedway was the way to go, ordered a set. Worthless! They sent a UPS pickup tag and I ordered the cheaper set that works just fine! Similar to the ones in post #12.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My guess would be for best results take the casters apart and lube them up real good before use.

DrJ likes this.
  17. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

The problem with the nylon casters is after they set with weight on them for awhile, they get flat on the bottom, making it a bitch to roll. Actually they just slide.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  18. I'd brace the wood ones with a piece of 2x6 or something; A's are light, but not that light.

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well worth the money, those wheels will tolerate a lot of abusive surfaces in an emergency/necessity...Mine have been fine for over ten years..

20. They are rated at 1000 pounds each.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. DrJ

DrJ

I have the HF metal ones and the instructions say to grease the no-bearings wheels before each use. DO THIS or they won't roll at all. They will just skate across the floor.

22. For some reason some cars do that where others you can push around all day with no issues???? What I do when they try popping out is use my trailer straps and just put the hooks on the dollies front to back.