Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Backup Light Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gimpyshotrods, Aug 30, 2014.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I know, my 1960 Falcon was made without them, and isn't required to have them....

That said, almost nobody where I live can mentally process a vehicle moving backwards, without some sort of bright white light beaming out of the back.

Every day I drive I hear someone shout "Fix your backup lights!", or "Your backup lights don't work!"

Pedestrians walk directly into the path of my moving vehicle, and cars drive right in there too.

When my wife is with me, I often have to have her get out and spot me. When she is not, I frequently avoid parking lots.

So, how about something that I can gently french into the filler panel between the trunk lid, and the bumper?

I know, not traditional, but neither is getting sued for everything I'm worth, nor receiving stratospheric insurance rates.

2. May be some small LED lights, they make some for licence plate lights that could probably be adapted. Try www.taillightking.com

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How about a backup alarm.

4. sir

sir

WOULD SOMETHING LIKE THESE WORK 1966 C-10....

Attached Files:

• back.jpg
      back.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 and gimpyshotrods like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure that folks respond to those properly. That makes them think truck, and when they see no truck, they think that it is from elsewhere.

Not too sure that would help with the windows-up, AC blasting, radio cranked, no situational awareness crowd. If they can't see it, it doesn't exist (and they are most often not looking).

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I understand you just cant help some people.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks pretty good! Round like the stock tail lights, too. If I could match the sheen by lightly wet sanding the bezels, they might look OEM.

I don't need a stock look, but I am going for a "plausibly could have come that way" look, as opposed to the "one of these things is not like the other..." look.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did I mention that I hate most people? How they manage to get out of the house in the morning, without poking out an eye with their toothbrush, or falling down the stairs, dead, let alone drive, is a mystery to me.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I reworked some motorcycle turn signals that had clear lenses to install in the round rolled top edge of a 48 chevy pick up bed. If you use something like that it would be round just a thought.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Lmao

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I am sure they were offered as an option on your car. Those would be best if you can find some.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I have seen those, at least on '63 and later, but even those look tacked on, and non-native.

13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I agree with saltflats, an alarm [like UPS and such] will be more effective than lights for your concerns.

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I am convinced that someone has to help some of these folks get dressed.!!!!

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The C10 lights are winning. Those and a backup alarm are likely in order. Multi-path defense.

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Didn't Ford put those in the center of the tail light lens on the fancier models?

17. camerl2009

camerl2009

in my books if people can't watch for a moving car that's their problem lights will most likely not help as these people are candidates for Darwin awards they are most likely too glued to their cell phones

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure, but if I am in reverse when contact occurs, I will automatically be considered at-fault.

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back end of a 60 Falcon that was said to be in the movie Taps showing backup lights.
    [​IMG]
    Your regular Ford Falcon trinket suppliers have the proper lens and gasket but I didn't see the housings.
    A stop at the semi truck trinket shop might produce a pair of lights that look proper and could be installed with without a lot of hassle.

Another option might be to swap to 62/63 tail lights that have the backup light built into the middle of the lens.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those look too much like the local tuner kid accents, and will likely be ignored.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never bothered to put a tape measure across the numerous years of Falcon tail lights, but there are these:
    [​IMG]

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

27. i was able to remove a reflector and install a light in it's place. 001 (8).JPG

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ones for a 49 Buick would work well.

29. The Chevy pickup lights look more original than the optional Ford ones.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They do.