Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Coolant catch can????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Aug 27, 2014.

1. blackjack, thanks man.
    tannergang, lot of truth to that! do you have a pressurized system? I don't blow out too much, unless it is over 90* outside of I do a couple of hard runs. back in the spring I did not loose any after the system found the level it liked.

2. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Yes it's a pressure cap...don't know the poundage..got a chrome cap cover on it......I'm sure it is what ever Walker recommended.

3. Granted a flathead is a totally different animal but I thought I needed a catch can for my car. I'm running a 10lb cap on it as well. It turns out it stops spitting out antifreeze when it gets to a happy level. When it warms up it runs fine, and I don't run one anymore. Maybe I'm way wrong

4. I will be doing the same on my T, I have a 28-29 radiator that I want to pressurize . I was thinking of using 2 1/2-3 inch brass or copper tube with a radiator cap on top. There are some very nice examples shown here !! JW

5. On a related question, what size line does one use to run to the catch can?

6. Around 5/16 I/D hose. JW

7. Old idea......

Attached Files:

• 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      175.9 KB
      Views:
  8. indyjps

indyjps

I'm on the lookout for a vintage coffee thermos for this same thing, get an aluminum or stainless, weld a hose bung onto it and attach with fire extinguisher pull clamps. If you're not pressurized just unclamp the thermos and raise it, the coolant will flow back in.

9. Kustomism

Kustomism

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409358705.020727.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Keep

Keep

I used a stainless steel water bottle. You can find them in all shapes and sizes.

You can just see it on the right.

[​IMG]

I have been looking for a new cap for it, the plastic is kinda blah.

11. Kustomism

Kustomism

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409363000.875150.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I am using a moon water recovery tank like the one pictured above for several years now. I t's hooked to a Griffin alumn. radiator pressurized on a 383 stroker motor. Temps are 180-190 degrees year round. Hope this helps....................

Hudson31 likes this.
  13. olds vroom

olds vroom

I used a small fire extinguisher body for mine . You can get them at any scrap yard in many sizes and the tops are already off.

They told me it couldn't be done... So I'll try it.

14. Thanks JW. Olds I am using one of those Pyrene type extinguishers I found one with a mounting bracket

15. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Mine was a piece of rigid aluminum conduit that I had ends tigged onto. then, I turned the whole thing in my lathe to smooth it out. It has a siphon tube on top and a drain plug on the bottom.

Blue

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      194.2 KB
      Views:
    saltflats likes this.
  16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Just got back from a friends and he used a small old yellow 'Halon' 2 1/2lb fire extinguisher case (Banned here since 1995). Cut off the top as shaft extended to the bottom and drilled and taped a small bard fitting into side. Used the OEM mounting bracket. Damn, wish I took a photo. Looks trick

17. scott51

scott51

That's slick man, clean, simple and looks like it belongs there. Any chance you'd have a better pic?

18. I USE A WISKEY FLASK

19. how big is the flask?

20. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

My fix to a factory 1965 ford fairlane - ran the overfull hose to a 16 oz plastic water bottle with the tight hole drilled in the top . This worked great for a coolant retrieval method .