Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

Jerry,
    Here is a power steering cylinder that I was going to install on my White half track but it never took place. It needs cleaning up but was a working unit. The valve assembly would go in the tie rod or the drag link & the other end would fasten to the axle or the frame. You would need a pump & lines to make it work. It is yours if it would work for the Speedster. It is about 3 ft. long & could be mailed.

Hey, that's very generous, Jack. I think for now, I'm just going to drive it around and see how it goes. Maybe my arms will get big. I usually let things stew for a while and the answer just seems to make itself clear.

The last few days I've been working on the headlight forks. I bought an old pair somewhere but they weren't the right width to fit my headlights. They didn't have the right bottoms either. I tapered some pipe I had and welded it to the forks. Then I heated and rounded the forks into the right width. The bodywork had some ugly holes so I had to make up a pair of escutcheons to hide the ugly. I love that word--escutcheon. I've only gotten to the priming stage.

Jerry
    IMG_20140819_155252.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    MrModelT and paperdog like this.
  2. Will the center fog lamp turn with the front wheels?seeing as the headlamps do not...

3. yonahrr

yonahrr

I have a center turning lamp, but I'm hesitant to use it. I thought maybe it would be too much. Still thinking. I need to mock it up for a vote.

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  4. KNOWING WHEN TO STOP IS WISE ... FOSTER BROOKS SAID NEVER..

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

Today, I painted the headlight forks and escutcheons. Have I mentioned I like that word escutcheon? It's from the Latin word scutum for shield which is closely related to scortum meaning skin or hide which would be used to cover a shield. This, of course, is closely related to scrotum, something you should definitely cover and shield at all costs.
    Later, after I sanded off the worn out nickel plating off the headlights with 600 sandpaper and was buffing the brass, I should have used something covered in hide (like a glove) to shield my hand because the buffing wheel grabbed the headlight ring and slammed it into my hand rather smartly, cutting it in two places. The ring then flew into the concrete floor, hit the roof, ricocheted into the speedster and came to rest I knew not where.
    I cradled my hand, which suffers from a touch of arthritis, for about a minute fearing the condition of the ring and the paint on the speedster. When the pain subsided ( the cuts were minor) I found the ring under the workbench. Miraculously, it had suffered only minor scratches. Heaving a sigh of relief I moved on to the speedster's paint. Miraculously, it suffered even less--on a smudge of buffing compound. The gods of the gear are watching over me--or maybe the speedster.
    I didn't push my luck and only buffed the headlight enough to make a decent picture before leaving the shop. But before I closed the door I cut out three squares of brass to be used for ID plates. Jack, one of them is yours. It'll be like the one in the picture
    3 1/2 X 2 7/8. That's the one you need, right? The font may not be exact but it'll be close enough.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    paperdog likes this.
  6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

All that brass looks quite elegant. You have some good mojo going on in that shop Jerry, but please try and keep your fingers firmly attached to your hands.:eek:

7. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

[QUOTE="But before I closed the door I cut out three squares of brass to be used for ID plates. Jack, one of them is yours. It'll be like the one in the picture
    3 X 2 7/8. That's the one you need, right? The font may not be exact but it'll be close enough.

Jerry[/QUOTE]

Jerry,

Yes that is the one - wonderful!!
    The lights look perfect.

Jack

8. yonahrr

yonahrr

Jack, I changed the dimensions. Actually, it's 3 1/2 x 2 7/8.

Jerry

9. The font and names have been changed to protect the innocent

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

And I'll be there
    To shine in your Japan
    To sparkle in your China

I love that song! Today I polished up the other headlight and when that was done I made up the electrical cables. Restoration Supply, which is the place all proper restorers get their parts, wanted $15 bucks for the little plugs that go into the back of the headlights. It's a fair price but a little too rich for me and no fun, so I made plugs out of old light bulbs and soldered on some brass armored cable I bought on ebay. It looked pretty good. I finally got the escutcheons on after painting them four times. I had to glue leather on the underside so they wouldn't mar the paint. Then I tightened down the headlight forks. All I have to do now is polish the reflectors and wire up the lights. The brass could use a final polish too. What do you think--Brasso? I had this wadding stuff that worked pretty well. Or maybe vinegar, salt and flour.

Jerry

Attached Files:

gas pumper likes this.
  11. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I prefer Nox-On or that stuff that comes as cotton wadding in a can that the boat boys use.

After polishing spray them with that clear aerosol shoe shine stuff as it is resilient, preserves the shine and is easily redone when needed. Old antique trick. From an old antique.

12. "Agents of the law,
    Luckless pedestrian,
    I know you're out there
    With rage in your eyes and your megaphones"

Ever notice how nearly all Steely Dan songs never sound like they're more than maybe one or two years old?

Oh, and while I'm here I just wanted to say "escutcheon". :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  13. yonahrr

yonahrr

Another of my favorites.

14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Jerry.Congrats on the trophy.Love the video.Keep up the great work.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

15. More decorated ovens?

16. Here it is...

17. ????? Or is it

18. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Nev-R-Dull is one of my favorites because it's versatile, but IMO you can't go wrong on brass with Brasso, unless it's just brass plated & you buff it all away.

I'll bet those lamps are solid brass and quite heavy.

So maybe I missed it...but what are the escutcheons made from?

19. Trying 1 more time

20. Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Ulu likes this.
  21. yonahrr

yonahrr

Maybe an accessory decorated like that to pay homage to the speedster's past. Picnic tables, chairs, etc.

I've been doing a few small things. I got the lights wired up and working. The cover on the steering column was rubbing on the steering wheel so I cut that back. The steering wheel needed another washer under it. I u-joint clamps were touching as the driveshaft revolved--no sure why, it's almost straight in a line--and making a small ticking sound.

I'm trying to get the Seagrave ready for the Caffeine and Octane show. It's a really neat show that's not sponsored as I know it. People just show up in a parking lot. Plenty of exotics and interesting cars. I'd have to get there about 5 or 6AM to get a spot. The show runs from 8-11AM. Here's the link.
    http://www.caffeineandoctane.com/

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    paperdog likes this.
  22. yonahrr

yonahrr

Tied up a few loose ends on the speedster: choke, spark advance, tonneau etc, then drove up the rode to a field and took a few "publicity photos." Got back and noticed the oven gauge was up to 250. Awesome! I hadn't expected the thing to actually work!

Jerry

Attached Files:

paperdog and Peanut 1959 like this.
  23. Oh, you knew all along that it was going to work. ;) So how are you planning to regulate cooking temperatures? Fuel mixture? Spark advance? :rolleyes:

24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

This just gets more awesome. I'm seeing in the future, a long shelf of various trophies and commendations for Jerry & the speedster .

25. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

Jerry - We need at least another 100 degrees for any chance of baking (fins on exhaust pipe for more heat transfer). Any chance of putting a heat gauge on top of the oven so it can be seen when driving.

Claymart - Shutter might work better. I am envisioning a rod controlled shutter that can be adjusted while driving.

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Great, now you can call it the "Seagrave Slow Cooker".

27. The Seagrave LOUD Cooker. :p

28. potholders and serving dish storage ... grey poupon ?

29. yonahrr

yonahrr

I'm thinking jerky maker. Mmmm! I love jerky.

paperdog likes this.
  30. yonahrr

yonahrr

I dug around the shop today and came up with a box of all the old alemite grease fittings I took off the Seagrave when I first started the project. They were covered in grease which I removed on the wire wheel. It was that hard. The nickel plate beneath was pretty sorry so I spent about 3 hours buffing it all off. This is quite a job on tiny little grease fittings. So now I had 12 little fittings and 4 large fittings. After I cleaned all the hardened grease out of the spring shackles I screwed all the shiny fittings in. They looked good, but I couldn't find my grease gun. Figures!

Jerry

Attached Files:

whtbaron, MrModelT and paperdog like this.