Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Back to the Edsels!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rprice76, Jun 23, 2014.

1. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Ah! Makes sense! Will order a new pump then.

2. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Thanks Greg! This is Edsel no. 3 for me. It's also the simplest and easiest to get parts for. I'm just thrilled it runs as good as it does. It should be pretty easy to get back on the road, once I've had my surgery and have recovered!

3. castirondude

castirondude

Sweet! I have a '59 wagon that was parked for almost 40 years that I'm just now getting on the road.

Man I'd love to have 2 more :)

4. Remember to keep your foot off of the brake pedal. If the wheel cylinders are rusty (and they probably are) you will jam the shoes into the drums and have to figure out how to get them apart.

Charlie Stephens

5. castirondude

castirondude

that's good advice!

'59 has the Bendix brakes so you can back off the adjuster with a screwdriver through the backing plate. All it takes is about 15 gruelling knucklebusting minutes per wheel ;)

6. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Been there - done that - bought the T-Shirt! Once I get it running and idling on its own (i.e. with the original gas tank and cooling hooked up) I'll address the brakes / tires.

I've been searching, and finally found an original style fuel pump that includes the vacuum outlets for the wipers. It would be cool if they still work. The replacement pump is only $59 or so.

The original pump on here is a monster. It's caked in oil dirt and grease. I think it even has a glass bowl. It would be neat to rebuild it. Does anyone know if they make kits?

7. This is how the brakes were on my '59... fortunately it sat so long that the master and wheel cylinders have become fossilized. I'd need a torch to breat them free.

8. castirondude

castirondude

on my 59 it had rusted to where the fluid leaked out so it was just freewheeling. i had bought all new hardware etc although in the end all it needed was the master/slave cylinders. i also replaced all the lines as a precaution.

9. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

So quick post. I did get some of the replacement freeze plugs. These 292's are SO Much easier to work on than the 332 it's not funny. I also replaced the fuel pump and had it running like a dream. Until I noticed as fuel leak. Anyone feel like coming over to give me a hand to wrap this up? She's one sweet idling car. I may be eager to pass her off to a VERY enthusiastic member on here for a KILL price with a promise to give me a ride once she is on the road. And I mean VERY reasonable price (well bellow 1k). Shes even got brand new shoes (I think 205, 75, 14s).