Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Ford F1 gas tank location

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Nov 14, 2010.

1. JonF

JonF

I'm agreeing with those who think the stock location is best and behind the pumpkin is the worst. Has anybody figured out what tank will sit in frot the rear end on one side or the other between the frame rails? That's where it is on my OT late model Ford pickup.

2. ironpile

ironpile

Between the frame rails behind the rear end,my filler neck is in the bed but it doesn`t bother me

3. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

I wish i could use the stock location, but with a channeled cab i think the mustang tank will work best for me.

4. RagtopA

RagtopA

I have a 51 Ford F1. I had to replace the gas tank behind the seat in the cab. I bought new mounting pads but for the tank but for the life of me can't figure out where go. They are hard rubbe, about 1.5" X 3" X 1/4" thick. Any hints?

5. mtflat

mtflat

The tank seam flange locates in the long slot on the floor - the pads are attached to the bottom of the tank either behind or in front of the seam. They keep the metal tank from contacting the floor. I stuck mine on the tank with a dab of silicone caulk.

6. ditto on the 'Stang tanks but I use early ones ...64-68, they fit perfectly and cheap, less than $200 for new tank and sender.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  7. RagtopA

RagtopA

Awesome, I get the picture. Thanks.

8. Wrigley61

Wrigley61

?? I recently bought a 1951 Ford F1 and the tank is in the stock location. The fumes are awful. Any suggestions on where I should start in remedying this?

9. InPrimer

InPrimer

check the drain area under the tank, it has a rubber line( at least mine did)other than that it could be a cap issue. personally in another thread where tank placement is or should be my preference is way in the back where the spare is, I have a 16 gal poly tank

10. atch

atch

i know that the post i'm answering is a year old, but maybe someone else needs the information.

48-52 panel trucks use the same frame as the pickemup truck. obviously they don't have a tank behind the seat. the stock ford gas tank on them sits between the left framerail and the driveshaft. the filler runs upward and outward. one of these tanks would fit right into a pick up. the filler would then be routed through a new hole in the splash apron/running board behind the cab but in front of the rear fender.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  11. Mines in the stock location, put it under the bed and you can't fuel up when you have a load in your bed and if you don't use your truck like a truck youre no friend of mine...

[​IMG]

12. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Kind of like, 'why don't they make the whole plane out of the stuff they use for the black boxes'???

13. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

I put a 20 gallon mustang tank in my 52, ran the filler out to the driver side fender and used a marine style filler. My old tank was rusted thru from sitting, plus I'm fat and moving the seat back even a little helped.

14. Normbc9

Normbc9

All of that vintage F series came stock with a behind the seat gas tank unless it was an f-5 or larger which had an option for a set of saddle tanks. We got the stock version in our F-8's and had a aftermarket 36 gallon steel tank installed under the skid pump package. Those all served until 1974 when they were sold. I saw one last week still running with the 336 V-8 flat head and the aftermarket tank still functioning. They are available on line. I also see a 18 gallon version online also.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

15. Abomination

Abomination

I've seen this setup from the factory - the filler was inside the rear fender though. Inside the wheel well!

It was on an old flatbed or something.

I figured I'd use the stock, in-cab tank and the delivery tank as well. If I have the space, and am towing a camper through the mountains, why not?

~Jason

16. atch

atch

if you're using both can you just connect the tanks with a tube/pipe/hose and just fill the top (behind the seat) one; which would fill both (and draw/use out of the botton tank)?

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  17. Jetpro

Jetpro
    from Alaska

I am still undecided. Would someone share pics of the filler routed from the mustang tank? Thanks

18. ...early Mustang in mine but mounted it under the bottom of the framerails
    using small square tubimg to get it to sit level., fills thru bed floor, but you get used to it. You can run the filler out to the side of bed or fender , or down thru the stake pocket, but make sure your filler pipe has slope on it or gas will kick back when filling tank.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  19. ChefMike

ChefMike

I have a 47 ford and dont want the tank under my seat so I built a cabinet in the back of the bed thefiller neck is in the side of the bed drivers side and for a door on the cabinet I used a later year ford tail gate, for pins to lock the gate Im using tail gate locks. photo doesnt show them but found a set they look and work great

20. ChefMike

ChefMike

21. rusty_bits

rusty_bits

I put a saddle tank out of the same era panel truck (1948 Ford) between the inside of the left frame rail and the drive shaft, using the stock mounting brackets and straps. I relocated it slightly aft and I modified it to suit filling from the stock location on a pick-up (passenger side), I also modified it to accept my Dodge Dakota electric fuel pump and pressure regulator. So far everything seems to be working fine, and it leaves room for the spare tire at the back, and a motorcycle in the box.

22. 52lomofo

52lomofo

wheres your filler location at on this??drivers side

23. Right rear. You can either put in in the bed or just under the tailgate. Facing out the back. I've done it both ways.

24. Abomination

Abomination

:cool:

Glad this one came back from the dead - it's kind of cool seeing different solutions to the same problem.

25. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Tanks Inc. universal `52 F1 004.jpg