Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on 4 link in my 41 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by englands54, Aug 27, 2014.

1. englands54

englands54

Fellas, I have spent the last several hours reading all the posts on installing a 4 link setup.. I have got to the rear of the car now on my build.. I purchased a 4 link kit from Skoty Chops and want to make sure I install it right..I have the car at ride height and level... I have the rearend centered and also at ride height with the pinion angle set.... QUESTION.. I want to make sure the lower links are parallel to the ground and level right? I also want to make the top bars are parallel and level at right height too..Correct? Trying my best to keep all the links close to the same lengths right? Do the brackets for the top links need to be on top of the rearend and centered? If you understand what I was trying to say there.. Or can the be slightly forward of the top of the rearend as long as they are parallel.. I have seen some pics where the top brackets are welded facing forward and not right on top of the housing.. Any feedback would be wonderful!!

2. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

How i did mine.. Mine is triangulated 4 link.. First i got everything level at ride height and pinion angle set 3* up .. The first brackets I tacked on are the bottom bracket to the axel. At ride height you want the bracket straight up and down. I used a digital level to set mine. Then i attached the bar and attached the bracket to the other end. Then I lined up the front bracket in the frame to see where it fell and wanted to sit.. I then measured and put the digital level on both bars to make sure each was exactly the same and tacked the brackets in place.. Then I moved to the top bars. This part was more tricky.. I placed the bracket on both ends attached to the bar, the bracket on the axel kind of sat forward of the axel center line. once I got it where I wanted it I measured a hundred times to get the other side in the same spot then put the digital level on until I got the same degrees on both sides. Then tacked everything in place and double checked all my work before welding. Also before I started and had everything square I tacked the axel in place so that it could not move during the set up process. You can see in the last pic I tacked a small tube between the notch and tacked the axel to it.. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409121708.366814.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409121771.399928.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409121836.283199.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409121854.700618.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409121889.216354.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App! Using iPhone 6

leadfoot1000 likes this.
  3. englands54

englands54

John N Dallas, thanks bud for the info.. You answered my question about the top brackets being centered in the axle.. I have seen pics similar to yours where they are slightly forward. Thanks for the pics..

4. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Sure no prob.. Good luck..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App! Using iPhone 6

5. englands54

englands54