Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '34 Ford Truck, Hay Hauler to Hot Rod(Done!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3dnsouth, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Holy smokes Tim, that truck is gorgeous. I'd lost track of your build awhile ago, just got caught up again. Amazing. You do such nice clean work and your eye for detail is fantastic. Cant' wait for a ride brother!

2. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Dang dude, is there anything you can't do? Nice werk!

3. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Very Nice work on this truck!!

4. Thanks guys. Dang, time is slidin' right on by, guess I need to post some update.

Man, I stared at the rear seam at the back of the cab for a WHILE. What to do....how in the heck do ya get around - over - blend - whatever, to get past the thing and have it look decent. After some trial and 'didn't really like' stuff, I came up with sewing some 3/8" tubing to make some larger piping to go over it. I separated the seam of the piping and used vinyl top adhesive to glue it over the seam and leave a straight line. Best I could come up with, I think it'll work out. Remember, strictly amateur here! Had to notch the material to get around the bolts holding the roof to the rear cab wall. I cuss Henry sometimes.
    IMG_1013 (640x478).jpg IMG_1706 (640x478).jpg

5. I fabbed up a panel to go between the seam and the roof, put some smaller piping at the top of it. Made it out of the same 1/4" material I use on ceiling and front panel. Fit pretty decent, still learning as I'm creeping along ( I hate throwing crap together and having to redo it...). Ya don't know what a relief it was to get this piece solved. I had put a post on the board about ideas on this, to no avail. Crank the tunes and move on! I fabbed up some side panels for the roof section also. Man, measuring 50 times and working on small pieces.....it's a pain!
    IMG_1707 (640x478).jpg IMG_1709 (640x478).jpg IMG_1711 (478x640).jpg IMG_1712 (640x478).jpg

I polished some stainless carriage bolts to hold the side panels in place. I know the front bolt is not centered and it bugs the crap outta me, but the way the roof bow is made you can't get the bolt any lower (with out welding and fabbing metal - I'm past that point).

Max Gearhead likes this.
  6. And on to the door panels. I was kind of waiting until I got a little used to sewing and workin' with the materials before I tackled these. Seems like the door panels and seat are what gets looked at the most, so, let's give it a shot.

Went to the ol' Home Depot and got some fiber board, commenced to measuring and checking things 50 times again. I wanted it to lay down decently against the door and NOT drill a panel clip hole into something important. I scratch my head on how much to take off to allow for the material wrapping around the sides. Should I wrap the foam with the material, or cut the foam at the edge of the panel and wrap just the vinyl...since you really see the edges on these panels. Questions, questions...damn. So, after some experimenting, I cut the foam on an angle from the board (sticking out like a ledge) and wrapped the vinyl and foam ledge around. The foam wrapped around the edge of the board, but not onto the back (if you can picture that). I allowed about 1/8" for the material thickness to get the board the right size (if you're familiar with '34 truck doors, there's actually a raised bead that goes across the top and down both sides, I wanted to stay inside them). Enough yakkin', pics damnit...
    IMG_1715 (478x640).jpg IMG_1716 (478x640).jpg

7. I'm using Auvell 808 panel clips to hold the panels on when finished, they work great so far.

Time to sew pleats again, except this time....add piping and a flat vinyl panel. Another stress point, and don't really know what to do with the thick seam that results from having a pleated panel with foam, a piping run (adding 2 more layers of vinyl), and a flat panel with foam, all together in one seam....against a flat panel. Pisser!! I cut out as much of the seam and foam as I dared. I thought about adding another layer of foam to everything BUT the seam, to even things up, but the whole panel got too thick. Well, let's give it whirl, what the hell, I'll take the credit and criticism.

I sew the pleats straight through the first time, then fold it and sew it again to get the hidden sewing (blind stitch??) Anywho, I end up with my required 2" pleats. I cut the first stitch off to reduce the bulk.
    IMG_1717 (640x478).jpg IMG_1719 (478x640).jpg IMG_1720 (478x640).jpg

8. IMG_1724 (640x478).jpg
    Here's the back of the panel with the first sewing cut off.

9. Sew up more piping and try to get all this put together and look decent. If you're an upholsterer, you're prolly cringing, but what the hey...I'm doin' it myself and hopefully learnin' something.:D

IMG_1721 (640x478).jpg IMG_1722 (640x478).jpg IMG_1725 (640x478).jpg
    I also had to debate whether to sew the last pleat at the doors edge or let the edge kind of define the last pleat (without having a seam right on the edge of the panel). The 'not sew the last pleat' got the nod, so wrapping I go. Man, crap ya don't really think about when you're lookin' at other interiors.

I had a hell of a time deciding how to wrap that big ass seam around the end of the panel. I should have taken some pictures, but I didn't ('cause I didn't know if what I was doin' was gonna work). But, long story short, I have only one layer of material of each item(no foam) going around the edge of the panel. It layed down nice and flat on the back.
    IMG_1726 (640x478).jpg IMG_1728 (640x478).jpg IMG_1734 (640x478).jpg IMG_1738 (478x640).jpg
    I'm still learnin'. Stressful sometimes, since you don't wanna throw a bunch of work away, but enjoyable at the same time learning new 'stuff'.

guthriesmith, loudbang and Hotrodmyk like this.
  10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

For learning upholstery, you sure are doing nice work! Your attention to detail is second to none.

11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Youre doing a damn good job with the interior, and picking up the little tips as you go (ones that you dont think about until you do an interior). Here is another tip, and its hard to tell from the pictures whether you did this already. On the door panels where the piping wraps around the edge, notch the panel board where the piping wraps around, to avoid bulk or a a buldge. Also split your piping and cut the internal cord short where it wraps underneath, this way the panel with lay flat to the door.

Keep up the fine work...you really are doing a damn good job

12. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I think I just fell in love. That is one sweet truck!!

13. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Wow, all this in less than a year! I liked it early on and I love it now! Nice job, the color looks bitchin'! :)

14. Thanks Nick! Hate I didn't catch ya at the HAMB drags. Sounds like a bit o' bad luck, but a nice recovery. I'm gonna catch up with ya down the road somewhere.

Excellent tips man! You're absolutely right, I should have notched the board just a bit for the piping seams. I cut the piping cord the width of the board, but notching would have definitely helped. Just what I need man, thanks!

'preciate it Toby, thanks man!

Well gord, I wish it was less than a year, but it ain't. I've had to pull off to work on other things and then just 'life stuff' in general. I don't even look at how long it's been, I quit making finish dates. I see the light at the end of the tunnel, though! A lot o' days with just me, the tunes, and some cool ones in the shop. What more could a fella ask for?

15. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Looks like you`re doing a great job, Tim...Hope to see you in it at the HAMB drags next year.

Tom T

16. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Holy moly man!! Hammer down!

17. That's one bitchin' truck man. I've been sitting and waiting in doctors waiting rooms all day and this thread has kept me amused. Keep at it.

sent via classroom note. pass it on

18. loudbang

loudbang

Pretty good looking door panels for a first try.

19. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Great job on the whole truck. I know upholsterers who claim years of experience that don't do that nice of work. If I could learn my metal work as fast as you are learning trim work I'd be happy. Jack

20. A master craftsman!

21. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

As usual, impressed and amazed by yet another craftsman here....
    I love it.

22. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

Good Golly, Miss Molly!

23. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Excellent job on everything. Lots of great ideas!

24. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

Builds like this are why lots of folks join the HAMB(myself included). Outstanding top to bottom! Admire your vision and perseverance you are soon gonna be driving that sweet ride all over.

25. Rock on man looking great

26. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

What a bitchin truck.I love the color and all the nice crime and S.S.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Lookin good brother man! Keep on it!

28. Damn....that looks awesome.
    when did the seat get done?

29. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

Very nice

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!