Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs De-street rodding my new 51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by juuraslahti, Aug 23, 2014.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ray,

I usually agree with you, but I think we have to give this guy credit for getting this thing off the street!

Denny

2. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

You could go a long way with wide, chrome reverse wheels on the rear wearing pie crust slicks. . . Paint, etc you are getting good feedback in this thread

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Love the idea of the chrome reverse wheels on the back. Looked up pie crust slicks and they look great. I am in British Columbia up in Canada, any idea where wheels and tires like this can be located in the pacific northwest.
    In the photoshop thread, Ruben Duran gave it a paintjob and some wheels and it looks way tougher right away. 1951 chevy (15) copy.jpg

41 C28 likes this.
  4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

that has a Art Morrison frame or just front section. (or rear section)?? it surprises me it has a full frame as most folks who spend that kind of money have taste and would not do a tilt front end (most are done high tech streetrod style). If it is a full Ar Morrison chassis, then do not cut it up, it will only hurt the value (their frames are high quality and made to handle). How about a pic of the frane (under the car). that is not the same front susp as they do with their full frames (the one you did a link to) but it does look it could be from their earlier front susp stubs (for race cars) and the rear is probably the same as their full frame kits have exhaust holes going thru the crossmember (can not see those in your rear susp pic).

5. It is supposedly a full frame. I will get some photos up tomorrow, working the night shift now. The frame from Art Morrison was purchased in about 2006, maybe they were different then or the suspension was changed.
    Yes a crazy amount of money was put into this engine and frame. Unfortunately not so much on the tasteful aspects. I have a stack of receipts and am shocked at the money.
    This thread has totally got me stoked on this car. I wanna thank you all for that. I will be upgrading my membership just because I believe in what is going on here and am thankful for all the input.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. The Photoshop made ALL the difference! You won't regret keeping the car. How about a metalflake steering wheel matched to whatever exterior color you decide on?
    The rear seem to be narrow enough for a little more offset in the wheels. Let me know if you're interested in my 15x10 Cragars, I can get you some measurements on backspacing.

7. scott51

scott51

8. I would not take that to the strip. That 10 bolt rear with any kind of sticky tire would explode.

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Be different...turn it into an autocross car. It's OT, but that chassis is built to be driven hard.

10. As i mentioned, I went and got Alliance membership to support what is going on here. My car may never be truly Hamb friendly, but i gonna do the best with what i have. And thats pretty tough if you ask me.

11. 'Mo

'Mo

Interesting thread. 8-71 blown 454! My, oh my!
    The above PhotoShop looks great.
    I'm wondering if the front fender bottoms were trimmed in order to clear the doors as the front is tilted?
    If so, some sort of articulation may be in order.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  12. Squablow

Squablow

I'd bet that's why they were trimmed, I think I'd make a stationary filler piece there to line up all the body lines again, if it were mine. The Photoshop looks great, if you can get it to look like that, you did good.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think the only thing that car needs is a definitive direction. An Art Morrison chassis and a big block are a great starting point. Get the body in a nice, solid color. Go back with genie bumpers and trim. Get rid of all that 90's street racer crap that's screwed and bolted in the interior. Sell that tach to a Ricer. Go with a gennie interior.

Find some wide steelies. A few companies make them. No WWW's, go black walls. In my mind, I see a mid 50's car, clean and sedate, until the hood is popped. Hell, I'd maybe get ride of the blower and go with a dual quad setup, to keep the hood unmolested.

Think sedated ass kicker. Gassers are great, but I'm almost tired of seeing them.

14. Thanks for the awesome suggestions. Yes I had getting vintage gauges in there as a thought.
    I do like the idea of it being more subtle. Though the blower stays for now. Just looking for quick cosmetic surgery. Paint, wheels, steering wheel, gauges.
    What is this genie interior and bumpers you speak of? When I google it all I get is office interiors and car washes.

15. Squablow

Squablow

"Gennie" is an old rodder term meaning original, I think it's a shortened version of genuine. Basically, stock or stock appearing seats and interior panels.

16. Hahah ok got it.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

HOWEVER....... if you DO run across a Genie, send him my way. I have a few wishes to toss at him.

18. indyjps

indyjps

As stated, reach the wheelwells, get rid of the wheels, painted steelies with trim rings or black steel is with period skinnies on front will look good. Too bad on the paint colors, looks like nice paint. You could find out what it is and shoot the rest of the car red? Get everything under the hood.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I wouldn't do is screw up that 10K+ chassis attempting to make a gasser out of it. You have already pulled off most of the hokey crap and the eyebrows definitely have to go along with the ugly wheels that will at least bring some pocket change on Craigslist.
    I'm like Squablow in that keep it simple by fixing the in your face things, putting some proper rims and tires on it along with a front bumper and paint you can live with.

20. Ya that area was trimmed like that to accommodate the hood going up and down.
    For now i am just gonna do paint and wheels and get rid of the cheesy stuff in the interior. It will be killer and I'll be rolling by spring with it looking how I want for sure.