Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage minibikes

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by INJUNTOM, Jul 7, 2006.

1. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Customers, just building a new pipe for it

2. slychamp

slychamp
    from Qc ca

3. slychamp

slychamp
    from Qc ca

4. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Anyone recognize this old minibike? minibike04.jpg minibike02.jpg minibike03.jpg

5. sprint347

sprint347
    from central IL

6. minibikemarkus

minibikemarkus

Hey guys/gals, are there any big time Mickey Thompson historians out there?? I am nearing completion of my latest build which is a late/last version of the "mickey" bike which used a decal on the forkplate instead of the id plate the earlier versions did.

The image is a drawn version of him taken from photos from the challenger I runs which they used on stuff like the Revell model box and stuff like that too.

Here's where I am at with it:
    [​IMG]

I want to do a helmet to match the bike, I was going to to paint one the same color as the bike but then I thought it might be cool to do one to go along with what the image was of and a set of goggles. Problem I am trying to solve is in the photos taken that day there is something written on the helmet, of course in every photo I have found online its always covered by the goggles. In other photos I have found of Mickey say in a car with the goggles on his helmet is just usually white. I am guessing that it says Thompson, but the font looks odd and just wanted to verify or if anyone has seen an image of how it was written. I know, kinda goofy, I just thought it would be neat accessory, and usable as well.

thanks for any help or idea's.
    Markus

7. Minibikemarkus, good looking start to a killer little scooter. Ape hanger bars seem like they would be more user friendly, to us adult riders. You've got quite the collection started. Too bad you did not make it to the Billetproof Drags. Well, truth be told, neither did I. Wife was sick and leaving her alone seemed like a bad move.
    We Floridians, should put together a deal, like Joe's Mini Bike reunion. No shortage of hooligans, in the sunshine state, that would want to attend.
    I was so pissed about missing out on the Mini Bike Drags, Sunday. I worked overtime dialing in both mine and Nads scoots. Was sure I could bring home a win, in my class.
    JT

GetAttachment.jpg

8. Just picked up this stellar starter kit

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

9. minibikemarkus

minibikemarkus

Ed, those Stellar's are really cool, I had a later one a few years ago, same as the ones George Barris used for his bikes. they have a great look to them since they are skinny between the frame rails. slickest thing they used on some of the bikes was the footpegs doubled as a kickstand, does not look like yours is that way but it would be easy to do, I am thinking of doing that to a custom frame I have chopped and dropped thats getting an old west bend 2 stroke for power.

you can see it on the top left bike in the add:
    [​IMG]

Jakespeed, I did go to Billetproof drags, I go just about every year. I didnt run anything down the track this year just tooled around a bit on one of my bikes and had some stuff for sale. There was another event down near Miami that was motorcycle drags heads up style like billetproof that was inviting mini's to run as well. I think it used to be first of the year sometime, If I see any info on it I will try to post it up.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  10. Well that explains why the rite side of the foot peg is missing . And mine has the factory scrub brake still on it. Thanks for the pic!

11. wesleyoldham

wesleyoldham

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415156212.914886.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415156248.006667.jpg just bought this sunday, ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415156270.855496.jpg can anyone help me id this bike i havnt seen one like it, the indian seems the closest to it? Any help would be great thanks!

12. AHotRod likes this.
  13. Fat ASS whitewalls, that lowering mod is super cool. Where in the hell didja get whitewalls, for a mini bike?? Nice scooters. :cool:

JT

14. minibikemarkus

minibikemarkus

wesley I don't believe its a Bird made bike they went real skinny on the frames and the engine plates hung off the sides on all their bikes shaped like that, Heres one I have in the shop right now for comparison:

[​IMG]

I think yours may be a Manco but I'm not real sure. In the mid-late '70's on into the early 80's they were the company that Sears used for their lineup and they had a model like that briefly they sold as their own and through sear with afew subtle changes. Unfortunately I cant find any good photos, I did find an exploded view of the sears version which is real close to yours, info on mid 70's and up mini bikes is pretty hard to find.......everyone wants to forget everything about that era :)

[​IMG]

I'm still not confident that's it, there were some other companies that sort of copied the same design like Karts international and your engine plate still does not see like what manco like to use.

15. Hell, the 70's are like the new 50's. Who doesn't crave TV dinners with tator tots and Rockford Files reruns. :p
    Just think how important a role, Sears Roebuck played, in the development of our country. Like Amazon of that era. They sold frickin' everything!! What red blooded American kid, didn't grow up drooling over the toy or sporting goods section of that catalog, before Christmas???
    JT

loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  16. AHotRod

AHotRod

17. Thanks.
    The whitewalls are painted on. I did a post a few years ago on the HAMB on how to do them. I've painted whitewalls on my cars for years.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  18. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Bird's the word!
    Here's mine....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[

19. wesleyoldham, I've looked at your pictures again, and your forks are different than mine at the wheel attachment point. Birds had a different axle mount. Maybe your forks have been changed? Who knows? Just build it and have fun. Both of mine have 5HP Briggs on them. They are pretty fast. Someplace on the HAMB, at the host hotel of the HAMB Drags is a video of me smoking the rear tire in the rain. Can't remember what year it rained at the HAMB Drags?

20. You guys asked for mini bike races at The Southwest Nostalgia Drags.
    Who's bringing them out on the 22nd ?

Attached Files:

21. Saw these at the post office...Anybody know these guys?

Attached Files:

jakespeed63 likes this.
  22. oldrelics, you better put better tires on, looks like snow in the background!!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  23. wesleyoldham

wesleyoldham

Markus im pretty sure my engine plate was modified becuase the mounting holes are done by somebody drilling a few holes in a line to create the channel. Thankyall for the info ive only been working on this since sunday and have put my truck at a stand still while im working on it hahahaha but heres the progress so far, ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415330991.025096.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415331015.159896.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415331035.691045.jpg [​IMG]
    Re welded and smoothed everything, painted satin black to match my truck, put the motor in and am taking everything off to clean, paint, then put back on. Never thought at 16 i would want a mini bike so bad haha.

24. loudbang

loudbang

We used to buy clutches and sprockets from Sears by mail when were were 1 or 12 years old and would send in the money but could never get the shipping cost close enough. So your parts would come in the mail with a check for 1 cent or 3 cents some ridiculous figure but the old ladies at the bank would cash them with NO ID or bank account and give us a lollipop to boot. The good old days for sure.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  25. SimpleTom

SimpleTom

Definitely not a Bird. Closest bike to it would be a Manco like I mentioned on OMB.

26. NorthEastMetal

NorthEastMetal
    from CT

I'm down from 12 of these little machines to just this Lil Inidan. According to Ray Michrina at Allied Leisure Corp he doesn't recall how many were sold with the plated frame but the numbers were very few. It's a 1968 or 69 model and as you can see has been well used. I bought it from the family who purchased it new. Lil Indian chrome frame 4 10 2012.JPG Lil Indian chrome frame left side 4 10 2012.JPG Lil Indian decal chrome  4 10 2012.JPG

jakespeed63 and loudbang like this.
  27. Yeah? This the wrong thread?
    Know you local guys are here somewhere.

28. Man', That chrome Lil' Indian is as cute as a bug. Growing up in the 70's chrome bicycles were not uncommon. Close friend had a 20" incher all chrome, with these wild curly-cue handlebars. Natch' we all ran racing, slicks, on the rear. Speaking of, has anyone used a go-cart slick on a mini bike?? Last week, when I was at the lawnmower shop, getting new tires, for Nads' bike, I was looking at the cart slicks, wondering???
    JT