Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help 1953 plymouth rear main seal ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cumminstech_1, Aug 22, 2014.

1. cumminstech_1

cumminstech_1

I'm in the process of rebuilding what I have been told is a 1953 plymouth 218 inline 6. All of the parts and gaskets i have received for this engine seem to be correct except for the rear main seal. I have been sent a rope seal two rubber seals to go under the rear main cap and two three hole gaskets. the information and pictures that i have been able to find online show that the outside of the rear main cap and rear of the block are drilled for two plates to bolt to the rear of the engine and retain the seal. My rear main cap and block have no such drillings or adaptations for this arrangement. these are some pictures of my cap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Sure looks like a groove for a rope seal.

3. squirrel

squirrel

The thrust flange on the crank fits into the groove.

What was on it when you took it apart?

The numbers stamped on the engine...what do they tell you it is?

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

ply rear main seal 001.JPG ply rear main seal 002.JPG I am looking right now at a Factory Plymouth Service Manual. Specifically for 1953 models (and, presumably later) there is NOT a rope seal used and the rear main seal is two rubber/neoprene semi-circles that are 'U' shaped in cross section. The slot in the rubber seal fits over the block and cap, over lapping to the outside surface. That leaves the larger 'slot' in between the bearing and seal for the crankshaft thrust flange.

The other pieces provided in the set, the rope seal and paper gaskets, and the retaining plates mentioned are shown as being applicable to '46 thru '52 models.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

5. cumminstech_1

cumminstech_1

This is the style of seal I removed but it was so dry it turned to dust on removal. We can not seem to find the correct part # for this seal. our listings are showing a rope seal for all applications but that cannot be correct. I have not been able to locate a correct manual for this engine.

6. squirrel

squirrel

The Felpro part number is BS 10085-3 but it appears that it doesn't exist any more.

Victor part number is JV134-9. Also kind of hard to find.

Egge Machine might be able to sell you one, it ain't cheap

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Try this guy Andy Bernbaum Auto Parts 617-244-1118

8. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

They did change from the rope seal to the neoprene seal in 1953; and Andy Bernbaum does list those. I have only worked on the older type but the advantage of the newer design is that the upper seal can be changed without removing the flywheel or crankshaft.