Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I the only one that don't like the new format ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by langy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. nitrodaze

nitrodaze
    from Indiana

20 years ago I start buying and selling via internet.Ebay was great,Ebay change for the worst,Ebay is toast today.Then the Hamb was great,About 10 pages or more a day of parts was listed, I was getting about 150 views a day per part or more,today about 30 or less.Sales were brisk until the change.Today nobody even ask.Some say change is good ,but ive never seen it.Change leads to starting over,And few of us have the time or patience to start over anymore.I lost all my listing during the change and it just don't seem like its worth the effort anymore to list.Back to selling at the Swap Meets !! The internet is a seven day a week job,Swap meets are a day or 2 and you go home with the cash and the goodies you bought. Gives me all week to work on my cars. Im not wasting time trying to figure out someones great new idea.

2. Sorry man, classifieds are offered as a courtesy to our members, not an entitlement to parts-hawkers.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

See this guy fellas? This is exactly what we are driving off and cleaning up. That makes me smile.

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

15 Posts in 5 years..................... nuf' said.

If there were more - they were just to hock stuff and got cleaned out.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. abc123

abc123

Thank you, gwhite.

6. How did we got along so very well without tutorials before, and now almost everything we do requires that we read a tutorial before we proceed. Tutorials are not the solution, they're a sign that something else isn't right.
    That's a big picture item that should get some thought.
    JimSig

WiredSpider likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Jim, what specifically are you having problems with? I'd gladly get you on the phone and walk you through it.

8. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

You cant ask for anything more than that.

9. So I read the tutorial on the search function , I missed the Cheaters Car Show because I had to judge another on the same day. After searching Cheaters, The Cheaters, Cheater Rama, Cheater Rama 2014 and come up empty. Can I assume that no one on here went, posted pictures, zero. If not please change my user name to " I'm a Tard " and I'll go away peacefully.

10. Google search comes up with nothing either so it looks like no one has posted pictures yet.
    Edit: Looking over the posts since Saturday the only post about the show is this brief one and if you search with the spelling that the OP used for "Cheaterama" it comes up.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cheaterama.940062/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  11. Well, Im not a fan of the new format AT ALL, but Im going to TRY to learn it because I do miss many of the folk and tech from this #%^& site :)

Despite liking it or not, this is still BY FAR the best car site on the web....................... so, I guess Im going to be a rotory phone user trying to understand an Iphone.

12. We-Can-Do-It.jpg

'Atta boy! Let us know how we can help; it's a bit of a learning curve, but you have an entire staff ready & willing to walk you through it.

13. LMAO at the pic used for this.

Hamb is like heroin, you might be able to kick the habit for awhile, but after a bit the voices in your head call the demons back out. I'll figure it out, or pester you with enough questions till you finally say screw this, we are bringing the old one back, heh.

gwhite likes this.
  14. Halleluiah,and pass the biscuits! icon_lol.gif HRP

lothiandon1940 and gwhite like this.
  15. Biscuits?!?!?!?!? Where???? You got this country boy's attention!! You got some 'redeye' or 'sawmill' gravy?

16. I do have one question. On the old site when you got to the bottom of the pages there was a drop down box that you could jump to any forum/category you wanted. Is that no longer there or am I not seeing it?

I see the tab that says "top" that takes you to a page where you can then click on the categories. I really liked the old style. Not a big thing, just making sure Im not brain farting.

17. The feature is still there, but it's kind of hidden.

Scroll back to the top of this page. Just below The HAMB Alliance banner and above the forum title, look clear over on the right side for a tiny, hard to see icon that looks like two overlaid squares with an arrow inside pointing to the upper right. Click on the icon to open the Quick Navigation Panel.

And you're right... It's another of those things that's not as easily found or logically marked as it used to be. But it's there.

18. Thx ClayMart, if no one told me I never would have seen it. That icon would be better at the bottom of the page like it used to be so you dont have to scroll up.

19. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

I don't care for the new format at all...I use to check out the HAMB daily but now every other month or so?

I miss the old HAMB!

WiredSpider likes this.
  20. Ryan,you could solve your problem of guys just using the clasifieds if you made it mandatory that the user needs to have a certain number of posts( Helpful posts)on the main board before he is elgible to make a clasified post..
    Also make it harder to gain being a member by answering more questions on application..now anyone can join by just a user name,,NO other info.
    This wondeful old stew is getting more diluted everyday..making it less tasteful...

gonzo likes this.
  21. This wondeful old stew is getting more diluted everyday..making it less tasteful...

X2
    There's plenty of elaboration that can be added but that right there is all of it reduced into its simplest terms.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Frankly, I totally disagree. I'm really starting to love the new format and the switch back to my roots.

It's never been about money or traffic for me. I'm having fun again.

23. I could not have said it better.

The new format is here to stay~ I am reminded of a quote by Alexander Graham Bell.

"When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don’t see the one which has opened for us."

HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. This your baby and no one will argue that. You will guide it as you see fit.
    The content on the forum is what makes it what it is. That content comes from the individuals posting and the background they bring. Some of that is from new found love of hot rods eager to learn. Some is from well seasoned folks who were actually there. Lately The biggest majority of content providers are the ones who think this old archaic stuff is useless, out dated.
    That's the dilution.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Again, think you are dead ass wrong. There's been some great shit lately.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. I wouldn't say dead ass wrong, but I would agree with that I must be experiencing it differently than before - if it were just me.

You say there's been "some great shit lately" and not just to parse words and focus on "some" being the operative here, but it used to be "overwhelmed with great shit" with just a sprinkling of nonsense content for a traditional board. Don't get me wrong because I still love this place, its just there's more junk and bubble gum to scroll over to get to the good stuff.

This pond called "the Hamb" is comprised of drops of content provided by the participants who dip from their own wells and pour it in. The good wells seem to be adding less and Maybe some of those wells that add more aren't as good and that provides the dilution that I'm experiencing. Which end of the pond are you swimming in, may I join you there because the end Ive been going to seems diluted.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm participating... maybe that makes me biased... Of course, I'm biased anyway.

Like I said, I'm pretty damned happy with the joint right now. Get out in the shop, get some stuff done, post your progress... You might find it changes your tune a bit - it certainly has mine.

BashingTin likes this.
  28. gonzo

gonzo

There's no question that the new format is taking me a little time to get used to, but it is a much more dynamic experience. For example I really like the news stream feature, it's helping me find out what all my dumb friends are up to without digging through the entire board. There are a couple things I still don't really get, but in time I will either use them or not. All in all if you like the old HAMB why not just ignore all the extra features and use it just like you used to? I for one have started using the board a lot more since it was improved.

29. gonzo

gonzo

I can't believe that dude was for real.

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm younger than some, older than others, and I didn't have much problem with the new format. I can understand some that did, as many things that were labeled before, you now have to hunt through icons and buttons to find them. You just have to spend a little time and play with it, after a while, it's just as easy as the old board. I don't post much about my stuff, it's not 100% traditional and probably never will be, but I do ask questions and answer some if I know the info.

Another board I'm on just recently switched to this same system, and they incorporated the ability of different styles, the new version, a classic version that looked very similar to the old V bulletin, and the other was a dark version, with a dark background and white lettering . That has been my only problem, all the white space, I love the dark version they have. Maybe Ryan could set up a classic view and a dark version.

One good thing I have noticed, the flame throwers seem to have left the building. You know, the ones that anytime a question was asked, had a smartass answer not even related to the subject. They probably ran off a bunch of good folks who didn't want to deal with their drama.