Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Welcome, MadMike!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Quinnbucket! I love it!

3. Maybe a few inches?
    [​IMG]

4. Think it's illusion due to the different perspective and Chip's body is mounted at a slight rake, where the other car appears to be mounted level. Also the green/white car looks lower at the back than Chip's, which makes it appear longer (but looking back, that could just be the difference in perspective as well).

whiplash1923T likes this.
  5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nah... There isn't any stretch in that body. I keep saying it, but ANY stretch in these is clearly visible from outer space. I had an art major buddy of mine explain it to me like this... We have had the better part of ninety years to comprehend what the shape of a Model "T" body is when we see it. That shape is encoded in our heads as "Model T body". When any dimension of that shape is changed even fairly subtly, our brain doesn't comprehend it in quite the same way that it does normally, there fore something looks - off. What is getting some of you guys on this one is the paint, which is a series of horizontal lines. Much the same as wearing vertical stripes makes a person look taller, and wearing horizontal stripes makes a person look wider... It's all comprehension and perception.

Also, my body isn't on the frame at a rake. If you look at the intersection of the fire wall and the frame rail it's 90 degrees. The other car is the same. The big difference is the stance. My car has about 2 degrees of overall nose down rake, where as the other car is sitting damn near flat if not maybe even a touch tail down. Lower is always going to make something look longer...

daddio211 and whiplash1923T like this.
  6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Howdy Mad Mike!!
    Glad you took the time to read this monster all the way through! I haven't even gone back and done that at this point.

I can't remember if you were the guy that posted the pictures of an unidentified bucket from an auction the other day, but if you are, make sure that you take a moment or two and watch the video that Anders F posted earlier today! The bucket that is in that video is the one the that first comes to mind when a non- "T" based 'Bucket comes to mind, and it was also in the movie "The lively set" if I'm not mistaken.

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

What, me? Dude, you just called me a "journalist"!!! You have no idea what a compliment that is, especially coming from a REAL journalist!

Very humbly, Thank You!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  8. missysdad1

missysdad1

Glad you're pleased, Chip...^^^...but I think you've got me mixed up with somebody else. I'm just a guy in Texas who likes hot rods, that's all.

9. Hey Eric, this is a little off topic, but did you ever sell your 9"?

10. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yup. A HAMBer from Waco bought it to put under his '64 Impala. Go figure.

dana barlow likes this.
  11. Yeah, that's my luck. Didn't need it when you posted it (plus I didn't when I'd be back in Texas to pick it up), but knew I should have picked it up as a spare. Now that I picked up the sedan, it's gone. Not sure what Y-block rams horns look like, but I have a complete '55 292 in the shop I've been tripping over for months, I'll check to see what manifolds it has. Funny mystery story on this, it appears to be a completely stock motor, but has a chromed stock fan. No clue how that came about.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I sure as hell hope not, and I'm sure Chip will agree. I hope they are saying I wanna build a "DeBenidictus Bucket", or a "Penry Bucket" or a "Knutsen Bucket" or in my case, a "Thompson Bucket". My parts pile is growing at an astounding rate, its gonna start to morph from a parts pile into a bucket this spring, the first guy that calls it a "Quinnbucket" will get 100 lashes with 2' of Packard 440! Lets remember where this shit starts, we are supposedly supposed to be about the history here.:rolleyes:

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The narcissist in me is truly diggin' Quinnbucket, but I'll stick with Ol' Ugly, or traditional bucket, thank ya!

14. A Boner

A Boner

I hate to disagree, but a "T" bucket viewed from outer space would look like a fly speck.

15. madmike8

madmike8
    from Tennessee

Wasn't me... I was too busy reading a super long T Bucket thread to do any thing else... :)

I will probably go back into lurking mode now. A Good student knows when to Listen and Watch... and I feel like I'm in the front row of T Bucket 101... Carry on...

16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the one I was trying to post from the Florida rod thread - thanks!

17. missysdad1

missysdad1

That's the way it always works out. 'Preciate your thoughtfulness but I don't need the Y-block parts any more. Wuzgunna replace the stock motor in my blue '55 F-100 with a better one...but ended up selling the truck instead. Now the motor is for sale, too.

The new project pickup - the F-1 in my avitar - is expected to keep its stock 8BA if all goes well. If the guy I bought it from was honest and it actually did "run when parked" I'll keep it. I've got it cleaned up and ready to fire up. All I need now is a 6-volt battery. If the flathead turns out to be sick, I'll put a Chevy in it, adapted to the stock 4-speed but with a later 9-inch with 3.25 gears. Got the stuff, just need to fire the flatty to see which way I'll go.

Thanks again for your thoughtfulness.

18. No problem, I know I don't have any plans for this motor, the F-100 it belonged to is gonna get either the 4.6 DOHC out of my Mark VIII, or 5.4 out of a newer F-150. I like the 4.6's a LOT, but I'm not sure it'll have the torque to pull my camper (unless I put a blower on it!) :D

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Maybe I don't get the joke but is anybody suggesting that they would like to build a T anything like this. If so you haven't been following this thread and all said before is in vain. I guess I just don't get the "tongue in cheek" remarks.

20. MP&C

MP&C

[​IMG]

That multi-colored grass looks like the pic is from google earth :)

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think nitrobrother is talking mostly about the FE powering this car... He has a small FE obsession! Although I did just note the Chrysler alternator!

22. 31ster

31ster

. Jeremy Baye from 45 speed and custom. AKA dirty petcock on here built this car I believe

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sorry Nitrobrother I thought you were saying you liked the whole car. Yeah Ivo had FE on his T. It is kool.

24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

You know guys their isn't a lot wrong with this bucket but what is wrong really jumps out at you. What needs to be changed on it to make it right. Okay I'll start. The engine needs to go down maybe four inches in front. What else?

25. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Would be a lot more appealing without the oval track tires on the back. Everything else I could live with. Here's another FE powered T I spotted last night that's more "classic" in style.
    001.jpg

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

headers hang too low, and the collectors are at the wrong angle, they should be parallel with the lower edge of the body, and closer to it. Getting the front of the engine down may correct a bit of that, windshield is too short, grill shell slightly too low, too far forward, wheel base too long. I think the color on the box is just the age of the photo.

Edit: height of grill shell may be ok, could be an optical illusion caused by the cockeyed engine angle.

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

How about it's fuckin Pink!

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I dont think it really is. Like I say, my hunch is, thats the age of the photo. Unless you really protect these old prints, the color saturation goes all to hell over 40 years.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Another photo of the same car from the original thread.
    [​IMG]

Again, the old print is colour-shifted a bit, but its orange. These old photos can really play hell with the colours when they fade.

30. I agree with the exhaust sticking out too far and I also ain't a fan of house size drain pipes used on T's when a 3"diameter would be up to the job plus look better. I don't like the upholstery fluffy stuff around the pickup bed either as a basic cover would suit it. I realize that with Chp's T he has his fuel tank sitting up in there with it's most treasured cap on so a plain cover is out but having fluffy trim matching the body is a no no.
    Now those pictures of Wendal Holl's T is darn perfect and I noticed the lamps on the cowl certainly don't distract from the car. Interesting note too is the height of the headlights, bloody awesome so that crazy of having low slung lights isn't as new as some make out. I worried about my been too low but ain't now on seeing this car, thanks Landseaandair.
    On a side note, can you explain about your name please ?