Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Vintage tow bar. Identify??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carfanatic, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Saved this axle from a junker. Came with a bonus piece. I assume that the bonus piece is a vintage tow bar. Picked this for $40.00. Does anyone have any info or pics on this hitch? Would like to rebuild it. Thanks hitch 1.jpg hitch 3.jpg

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Looks like someone made a farm wagon out of an old car or truck chassis. Looks awfully well made for a farmer's work or even the local welder or blacksmith. Could it be you could buy a conversion hitch for this purpose? If so it is news to me.

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

The pieces are definitely cast or forged. Ya made way to well to be farm built. I figure there was a hard wood tongue of sorts

5. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Thanks for the link squirrel. I looked it over. There was a couple that was close.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen a lot of scabbed together trailer tongue setups but that is a pretty clean looking unit. I'm thinking that as was suggested it all came as a kit that you bolted on your old chassis to build a trailer with.

7. cs39ford

cs39ford

Back in the mid 1970s Was buying a lot of farm hay wagons made from A & T frames Yes that was a bolt on you could buy Had a few of them back then

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Hoover wagon. Very common in farm country. Montgomery Ward & Sears sold them in catalogs.

9. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Well even though it turns out it isn't a tow bar I would still like to do something with it. Even if it's just refurbish and hang in the garage. It's to interesting to just send off for junk. I have done a lot of searching and haven't found any info on it.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That looks like you could make a nice period looking tow bar for a race car out it.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It would make a neat tow bar but for 2 things

Omit the steering part to make it easier to install. A car will track behind you without it.
    You can only use it on beam axle vehicles which aren't too common. But if you had a period race car it would be great.

12. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

That's what my buddy and I were thinking.