Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Turning a bucket of rust into a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ksmith, Aug 24, 2014.

1. ksmith

ksmith

So I figured today would be a good day to start my build thread for my 1931 model a coupe. I bought the frame for $75 when I was 17 intended to just build a t bucket. Later on I decided it would be neat to just build a coupe. I'm only 19 so I'm not a metal wizard yet like some people but I'm getting better. The motor I have is a 350 bored .30 over I plan on putting forged internals in it and making it a stroker. I also plan on putting a little shot of nitrous in it for H.A.M.B drags or any drag strip.:D The tranny I have is a t10. The rear end I have is a 9" with brand new strange axles! I just got my dropped tube axle in from speedway and can't wait to put it all together. I try to work on it much as possible around work and going to college to become a mechanical engineer. The moment you've been waiting for Pictures!! :)

2. chubbie

chubbie

good job! looks like you are using a stick welder!! thats how i built mine!

3. Where are the photos? HRP

4. ksmith

ksmith

5. ksmith

ksmith

Yup on the frame I did but on body work I upgraded to a Hobart mig.

Yeah photobucket doesn't like me tonight. They will all be up in a couple minutes.

6. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

7. ksmith

ksmith

8. ksmith

ksmith

9. DIXON

DIXON

Nice work!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project! Looks like you have all the tooks you need, a lot more than a 19 year old had 50 years ago. There is something special about building your first car on a dirt floor. Look forward to more progress photos. Bob

11. ksmith

ksmith

Hahah thanks! Yeah we were suppose to pour concrete this year but that hasn't happened yet.

12. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

This is really cool keep up the great work.

13. looking good ! :)
    -Pat

14. Cool,when I was your age the cars we had to strat with were not near as rust,,your doing a good job. HRP

15. Squablow

Squablow

Nice work so far, keep it up!

16. bluecar

bluecar

Nice start. What's the story behind the body panels, how did you find them ?
    Best, BC

17. ksmith

ksmith

The body I actually got in dandridge TN. Drive 1200+ miles round trip to get it. The pictures with me standing next to it is how the guy had it hanging in his garage. Its a rusty start but I'm enjoying every part of building it. The frame was a funny story. My friend was asking people around where he lives and one guy told us to drive 45 minutes to some random guys house ( model a grave yard) and ended up knocking on his house and asking him if he would like to sell a frame.

18. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Great post. You'll remember this build your entire life. Enjoy every moment!

19. ksmith

ksmith

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it!! I certainly got my self into a big project but It is worth it.

20. ksmith

ksmith

Got some free time to spend in the sheet metal shop at my work to crank out the sub floor pieces on the cowl.

[​IMG]
    Started with a rough sketch

[​IMG]
    cutting it all out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Going to punch some wonderful holes on the iron worker. Beats drilling them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is all got done this afternoon. Waiting to the firewall to get back from the sandblasters. The general idea of the pieces is to grind it down to fit on the inside ledge of the cowl and weld it in place and close it in with end caps.