Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HEI conversion problems 235 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearhead143, Aug 24, 2014.

1. gearhead143

gearhead143

I am doing a HEI conversion on a 235 that is in a 1952 Chevy and have run into a couple of problems.
    The fist problem is it has a Wayne push rod cover that I don't know if I can machine enough out of it to allow the HEI to fit. The only way I think it might work is to remove the gasket, machine it, and seal it with Ford TA-31 sealer. Any thoughts?
    The second problem is when I install the distributor and clock it like HUSSEY did in his thread, it leaves very little adjustment between the cover and the dipstick tube. Is this enough room as I can't see a dipstick in the pictures that HUSSEY posted, or do I need to modify the dipstick tube.

2. gearhead143

gearhead143

Was hoping someone had some ideas.

3. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

You can do a separate coil, you don't have to have that dead ugly cat on the top of the distributor, IF that is your problem.

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

5. gcrod

gcrod

like 52HardTop said works great and looks better. DSCF1320.JPG

6. txturbo

txturbo

are the mid 60s 250 inline 6 distributers compatible?

7. gearhead143

gearhead143

Thanks everyone for your input on my problem, and a great solution to it. I did do a lot of searches and only came up with HUSSEY,s conversion along with others that had used the large HEI, but none with Stovebolt,s mini HEI.
    I did purchase a large cap HEI distributor on ebay, and I did do one cut in the mill on the cover when I figured out it was going to take a lot more to get it to fit, but I think Stovebolt might be the way to go.

Has anyone run one of these on a machine to see what the advance curve is? I do like the curve of the distributor I purchased. It would give me 10* at idle and all in 32* @ 4000 and the vacuum advance is adjustable.

8. gearhead143

gearhead143

photo.JPG

Well I finished my project today. I stayed with the big HEI because I already owned it, and I had already started the machine work on the cover. The engine performs like it should now that it has a good timing curve.

This conversion was a pain. I had to tig weld the back of the Wayne cover because I broke threw the cover on my last cut. I then milled it one more time, and then hand blended with a die grinder, and finished it with very fine Scotchbrite and compound, then installed it with Ford TA-31 sealer.

I did find something I wasn't happy about the distributor I purchased on ebay that people need to know about. When I was checking the install height I could not get the gear to bottom out on the bushing in the block. It took me a while, but what I found is when our friends in China machined the area just under the the gear they didn't put a 45 deg taper on the housing, and the housing was in contact with the gear on the cam. I disassembled the distributor, set it up in the lathe and machined the 45 deg in the housing, assembled it and was able to set the installed height.

One note, if this thread can be moved to technical please do it.

9. Hey, if you have curve questions on the Stovebolt HEI in the future, let them know. BTW, the Langdon HEI's are built with OEM GM parts, so the reliability is there, as well as available parts if needed down the road. IF you ever have tech questions that aren't answered on the site, just shoot them an email. :D