Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Glueing foam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Aug 24, 2014.

1. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Just narrowed a Chrysler minivan seat for my 34 coupe, the frame is all done but I was wondering what type of adhesive people used on the foam parts?

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have used 3M spray adhesive. Spray both parts wait a few minutes and press together.
    Make sure your alignment on the pieces is correct before you put them together, as they will not come apart very easily.
    KK

loudbang likes this.
  3. DIXON

DIXON

I agree, 3M is great stuff.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

3M stuff is called Super 77, I believe. Good stuff, I just used it to glue the insulation to the underside of my roof.

Blue

5. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

We used to glue foam everyday when I was working. We used 3M, look for 0880 on the can, it is made for foam, will NOT come apart the foam will tear first.

6. Contact adhesive, spray both surfaces, wait till dry an stick together.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The pro`s use K-grip. It comes in either red or clear. Be careful using red, it could bleed threw vinyl, so only use it on foam. Spray both pieces of foam. If done correctly, the foam will tear before the joint comes apart.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

This is the correct answer, the only stuff you need, comes in a big spray can.

9. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

10. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Can,t find 3m Super 77 here in the U.K. Can get 3m 74 or 77 (not super)?

11. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I had 11 years in the foam fabrication business - keep the glue away from the edge of the foam about a 1/4" so you don't end up with a "hard" edge - otherwise you will be able the feel thru the fabric.

12. If you have access to a source for a cheap spray gun to spray bulk adhesive from go to your local upholsterer and ask if they will sell you some of what they use. I took in a gallon can and they poured some off and charged me $25 for a gallon rather than the $20 I pay for an aerosol can of the 3M stuff and it works about 1000 times better as well!

13. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

What k13 said , if that is an option over there. Weldwood hhr is the best , spray grade..