Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Hemi, how should I clean it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hardtail75, Aug 17, 2014.

1. George

George

Yup! 291 Desoto. Adds to the challenge of finding parts. Comment on the 10:1 pistons is still operable. OEM 4 bl intakes are scarce for these, probably only 10% had them. They are a little smaller & lighter than the Chr hemi & would be a little easier to drop into a car. Looks like a typical pre-detergent oil situation.

2. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Everything came a part pretty easily. Pushrods looked fine. I will get more pictures in better detail a little later on. Still cleaning the new shop but felt like ripping it a part lol.

It's possible to put an edelbrock carb on this motor is it not?

I've been looking at Hot Heads. Looks like parts are readily available...

3. Nitrobaron

Nitrobaron

You have a Desoto Hemi, looks like a low deck probably a 276 or 291 Look at the pad at the top fof the block directly behind the water pump. Should be a number string starting with S, such as S22
    If it has a factory 4 barrel intake you are lucky, they are very rare and expensive.

Sorry to be redundant, I see George beat me to it!

4. George

George

Edelbrocks fit on the chr intakes if you open up the bore holes(and that helps breathing too). I assume the same with the Desoto. On an OEM 4 bl intake, that is.

5. 73RR

73RR

The baked-on crud is really not that bad...there are much worse out there.
    The problem, obviously, is rusted rings/cylinders. I wouldn't waste my time on magical concoctions; either talk with the hot-tank guys or start drilling through the tops of the pistons to free the wrist pins. Be cautious and keep away from the walls. It doesn't take much to cause a 0.060 gouge.:eek: My experience is that when a lot of the piston has been removed, long before the wrist pin is separated, the pressure against the walls will be lessened and the remains will start to move.

Since you are new to the EarlyHemi world I suggest keeping your camera handy.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Crud is coming off pretty well now. Yes the rings are f'd. I think drilling is gonna be my best bet. I'll see if there are any hot tank guys in town though.

Looks like I need to start hunting for a 4 barrel intake???? :D

[​IMG]

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

A mild acid like bathroom bowl cleaner will eat rust and aluminum sulfation. I have used it with success.

8. George

George

If you want one start looking, only the 291 4 bl will fit. 73RR said there a 360 2 bl carb that'll fit, once again with opened up bore holes.