Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Chrome Ford 4 lug wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billy, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Billy

Billy

Looking for information on what you guys know about chroming factory steel wheels. I'm building a 62 Falcon and really want to leave it a 4 lug. I want to run chrome wheels and wide whites, but no caps. So, I don't want to run the Uni-lug wheels. I also like the factory "knobs" so don't want smoothies. I've heard that a factory steel wheel can't be chromed unless its disassembled due to hydrogen embrittlement if the welds are chromed over. I know there are much smarter guys, so what are your thoughts on the subject? Or is there a source for an OEM style chrome wheel?
    Billy

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The only chrome four lugs that I have seen are the "smoothie" type which are unilug wheels. I'm sure they are punched 41/2" and 4 1/4". I was looking at the same situation you are a couple of years ago when I put my wagon together, and I decided the best way to do the deal would be a set of early Maverick four lug wheels. They are 14', so the Hancook 175/70-14 will work swimmingly, and they have the knobs and a 91/2" hub cap pattern, instead of the early Falcon's smaller size. The main reason though is that they will fit over ScareBird's disc brake conversion, and trust me, if you drive this in modern traffic you NEED to do this.

Now, the reason that most companies (as far as I know) won't chrome existing steel wheels is not because of hydrogen embrittlement. It's because they cant get down into the slots to polish them enough for the chrome to "throw" into those areas. Check with all the chrome shops in your area and maybe you can find someone that will be willing to use a small device like a Dremel to clean up that area.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

It may be the polishing part but I heard that the chrome can't adhere in the parting line between center and hoop...Rust will start there..

4. Billy

Billy

I will be running 14's. I have a set set back for the project, and I will also be doing the scare bird brake deal. So, I guess I'll stick withe powder coated black wheels for now. I was hoping for better news. Thanks for your time.

5. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

What about trying the spray paint "chrome" that's out now?

6. fca2572

fca2572
    from Texas

This is the car he is building look for a great build thread soon as he gets started

Attached Files:

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Billy, thing you have to know about Ford 14" 4 lug wheels, is that to use the disc brake kits, you have to find the MAVERICK type that I was talking about earlier. The Mustang/Falcon mid sixties type won't clear the calipers on the disc set ups, as they are the 13" centers with a specific 14" rim to fit, and they just won't go... Trust me on this one.

8. "Back in the day" I had a '70 Maverick with Cragar chrome wheels and white walls. The custom wheel choices were very limited with the Maverick's 14" 4-lug wheels. I really wanted Cragar SS wheels, but didn't want to use adapters from the 5 lug to 4 lug pattern. The wheels were a royal pain to keep from rusting.