Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 Ford "Ruddy Truck" progress

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 40Ford!!, Jun 15, 2014.

1. pumpman

pumpman

Enjoy these moments with your daughter for they go by quickly but the memories are yours forever. My sons are grown and one has his own family now. Unfortunately he lives far away from us. When he does come to visit us with his family he spends more time in the shop and gets into a whole lot of trouble with my wife for doing so. My other son is a special needs kid and lives with us. But when it comes to working on the cars you would never know it. It's something they will carry with them forever.

I really dig your PU and enjoy seeing your daughter and you grinding away on it. Keep it goin man, you two are doing great! We'll be watching.

2. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Really cool truck. Great to have your daughter take such an interest.

It's a little late now, but you can save her (and yourself) a lot of time and effort on the next project by working your bondo before it gets fully hardened. Start with a Stanley Surform file
    http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=SURFORM+TOOLS+AND+BLADES
    and as soon as it sets enough to keep from plugging and sticking to the file you need to scrape away all the oily surface. At the same time you will be rough shaping the bondo and removing all the ridges. Soon afterwards it will be ready to sand. Start sanding as soon as it will not plug the paper. By working the mud sooner, you will save a huge amount of time and considerable sand paper. Working on the truck is fun, but no use doing it the hard way.

3. fortynut

fortynut

Copper plate? Hmm. Only ever used those for intaglio. To there tired old eyes I mistook it for something else. Thus the diatribe. Carry on. I always put mine in the from the back to cover the rim and set the glass back far enough to eliminate reflections. I am going to assume the tach is on the column?

4. looking good man.
    and just to give credit to the name ,its spelled "RUDY"

5. Not tach. I just go by the sound. I like the name Ruddy rather than Rudy. Sounds less like a guys name. Ha ha! And Fabber McGee , thanks for the body work tip. I will check it out. More pics after we hit it with the first coats of primer.

6. Hey guys, the truck I'm working on I believe is a 40? But what years were these cabs the same? Were they the same from 40-47?

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

8. I guess someone has to pee in your Cheerios. I know I'm way too late, but I wish you had gone with a more traditional front suspension instead of the late A arm setup. I have always felt that having the radiator two feet ahead of the front axle centerline gives an old car a bucktoothed look and really spoils the proportions.

9. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Uuuuuh Carl ?.....where do you see a arms?.... I see a dropped axle ....and fourty , I like your build, glad your keepin "her" all ford!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Yeah, I spoke before I looked. I still think the front axle needs to be pushed forward a bit or the radiator needs to come back, if possible. I had a nice chat with the builder and he is not, entirely, happy with the look, but he's going to go with it, at least for now. BTW, I don't hate the truck.....not a bit. Just some constructive criticism. The stance and proportions can make or break a car. It isn't broken, just has a little ouchie;)

11. I need to just finish this thing and get her on the road. After I drive it for a while I may decide to do something about the positioning of the grille. I have seen some guys put the radiator UNDER the bed. Not sure that is the best spot but I can then move the grille back. Another option would be to make a custom grille out of tubing and put some screen inside to cover the open area. I have seen a few guys do that and it was not that bad looking. For now I'm just going to finish it and see how it plays out. Stretching it would be a mother f'er to do and take a lot of work. This one is going to my daughter eventually and she seems to be fine with it. I will keep posting as I go. Thanks for all the input people.

12. My daughter and I just finished painting the first coat of primer (Acme Finish 1) on the cab, bed, tailgate and grille. She only had one run out of all that! Not bad for a new painter. Next is block sand everything and hit it all again.

Attached Files:

13. Here are a few with her much better cell phone. Wow my phone really does suck. Looks like I rubbed Vaseline on my camera lens.

Attached Files:

14. pumpman

pumpman

Look'in good kids!

15. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Good looking build, just wondering if you're going to run some type of torque arm on the rear end. I'm building a 36 with allmost the same setup and have been told that the ears on the rear arms are not strong enough to keep the axel from rotating under tor PC250031.JPG

16. Just stopped off to check out the engine build. Coming along good. As with all things, my builder had to correct a few parts. The Offy Regular Dual from Speedway needed to have ALL the bolt holes tapped deeper for the fuel pump and carbs and he found that the intake actually has extra bolt holes I guess for other applications? Put a few helicoils in to make it look better. Other than that it's making progress.

Attached Files:

17. onedge

onedge

Nice progress.

18. After final coat of primer. daughter and I started putting things back together on the truck. The engine is just about finished after a long wait for one of Bubbas distributors. He is the best so it was worth it. Just need to sand doors and make two more trans tunnel pieces, then comes final assembly!

Attached Files:

19. Blue Coupe

Blue Coupe

That truck is So cool!! I am very envious, I missed out on getting to build a car with my daughter, take joy in your "shop time" with her!!

20. pumpman

pumpman

Lookin good, you're making great progress!

21. Here are a few more pics of the engine today. Just about finished.

Attached Files:

22. willymakeit

willymakeit

That's looking good.

23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi 40ford.Looking good.Looks like the "boss" is involved in things also.Best of luck to both of you.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The engine looks perfect.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

25. Just picked up the engine from Ron Ford at D&W Automotive Machine in Sudlersville Maryland and I received a beautiful engine. Got to hear it running and man was that nice! Took it to my builders place today (Nostalgia Works Maryland) in Sharpsburg Maryland, where Dave Krolak has been doing the heavy work for almost a year off and on. He has taught me a lot about what it takes to build a hot rod with your hands and not a catalog! After some finesse and a lot of jacking the trans and engine, Dave, George and I finally got the flatty in its resting place. Lots of other things to finish so I have a lot to keep me busy this winter. I will keep posting as things progress. And thanks to my daughter who never let me quit this project. Kayla, I am very proud to be your father.

Attached Files:

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

It feels GOOD to see the engine in it!
    Keep workin'
    Al
    PS Crack the whip, Kayla!

27. I need to save this diagram.

28. jlaird

jlaird

Great looking truck! You're daughters involvement is very cool too.