Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

John, Can't help with info on that picture as it was before my time. On a side note though every year I put his name in as a candidate for the NEAR Hall of Fame. One of these years he is bound to make it.

2. Phil Meyer

Phil Meyer

3. Phil Meyer

Phil Meyer

Hi Al, this is a bit late and certainly not timely. I don't even know if you are out there but if so please respond. I am Phil, Gene's younger brother.

4. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

I just received another photo of my father in a car I never knew he drove. Sorry Dan, I do not have any info on the whereabouts of the car now. But just wanted to show another picture of the "Pop" Jones Ford.

Attached Files:

5. ..saw this at Amelia Island this year....really nice car.... DSC04905.jpg DSC04906.jpg DSC05041.jpg

jconklin75 likes this.
  6. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

John, The track (in second photo) looks like it might be Westboro Mass.

7. nema19

nema19

John, when I knew Bill Damon back in the 80's, he was working for George Savary; you might try contacting George.

8. hello, Im an engineering student currently trying to build his own kurtis kraft midget sprint racer, however I haven`t been able to find any goo plans or measurements of the chassis, any chance you could help me out?

9. hello, Im an engineering student currently trying to build his own kurtis kraft midget sprint racer, however I haven`t been able to find any goo plans or measurements of the chassis, any chance you could help me out?

10. hey mate I haven't been able to locate don through his email or website, any chance you could help me acquire those plans please my engineering semester`s proyect depends on it!!!

11. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

There are no plans get your measurements form another car no two cars were the same .

12. any chance you could help me with that

MoonLoon likes this.
  13. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

I,think so pm me I made about 20 cars over the years

gearguy likes this.
  14. sideways27

sideways27

Race Fans come and join us celebrate Ed Iskenderian’s “The Camfather’s” 93rd Birthday Party

One of the great pioneers of hot rodding and racing across the country.

There will be many Celebrities along with some well known race cars from the past that will join in on the cackel fest. Car show with race cars, hot rods, bikes and whatever shows up. Meet racing drivers, Ed The Ace McCulloch, Celeb’s, Linda Vaujn, Dave “The Voice” McClelland, Nick Arries Jr. and many more. car builders and engine builders. This is always a great party and last well into the night with lots of bench racing and Ed’s story’s.

Location: LTR Racing 29330 Hwy 178 Onyx, CA (760) 378-1982 Lanny or Diane

Date: Sept, 13 2014 10:00 am until?

Bring a race car, hot rod, bike or whatever you want just come and have a fun with Isky for the day.

BBQ catered on site.

15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

At the Vintage meet at Norton, Kansas this past weekend, Gene Pastor drove the Sid Blandford rail framed, cross springed Offy.

I'm told the car is a Clyde Adams built pre-war car that was re-bodied during it's racing life.

Attached Files:

16. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Hi - I'm looking for a little brain power. This is a picture of Ray Crawford sitting in his midget sometime in the late '40s or early '50s. I'm trying to identify the mechanic. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Crawford_midget.jpg

17. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Chickie Hirashima ???

18. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

No, definitely not Chickie.

19. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

I'm interested in the radius rod location and form on the Crawford car.

Perhaps not a Kurtis chassis nor other tube frame?

20. lobuktruk

lobuktruk
    from Cayuga In.

Haven't heard much about it but the Jungle Park Reunion is this Saturday, September 27th. I'm planning on going but ironically I just sold my midget and have to deliver it Saturday morning. I hope I can still get there, Last year was pretty weak but the weather was some to do with that. I would like to see this event grow and not dwindle away.

21. Saw these on a recent visit to Ray Boiseneau's (spelling?) museum in concord. Great guy and beautiful cars.
    The number 8 car had a Ranger aircraft engine mounted upside down, very cool!!! Cars are restored and not original but thought I would share them anyway. midgetcars1.jpg midgetcars2.jpg midgetcars3.jpg midgetcars4.jpg

wicarnut likes this.
  22. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

23. That is one hell of a collection! Thanks for the pics.

24. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Dan Scott has just completed the move of his Dad's (Landy) 1947 Kurtis bodied fuel injected Studebaker Champion midget to the Studebaker museum for an extended period.

Attached photos of the car being loaded in Burbank, CA.
    Up, up, and away. StudebakerMuseum.jpg IMG_7666_01.jpg IMG_7670_02.jpg IMG_7674_03.jpg IMG_7678_04.jpg IMG_7686_05 (1).jpg

For a wonderful and comprehensive history of this car and his Dad and Angell Park Speedway see...
    http://www.landyscott.com/

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  25. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Heres one from Friday morning during Hershey Swapmeet

Attached Files:

26. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

As the story goes, the car was built by Kurtis under the direction of Crawford's close friend, Sam Hanks. Hanks was instrumental in getting Crawford into racing and had the car built for him. It had a tube frame and was built with the radius rod mount as pictured. Note there are four holes in the mount so that the set-up could be quickly changed according to track conditions.

To my original question about the mechanic. I'm told it could be Don Koda. Can anyone verify that?

Thanks!

27. bigheadody

bigheadody

Hello new friends. From what I am being told is this is an 1934 Whippet midget car. Has all original parts or what I think are original. It has an Alexander overhead..3 speed transmission. Has whippet engine along with manifold and header that runs down the side of the car. Engine is in parts needing a re sleeve on #2. Been in same family for 30 plus year. This can has a title I am being told? He said he made the roll bar for some reason. It just unbolts. Same paint for last 35 years plus. Claims to be 100% complete before taking motor apart.

I am going to view the car tomorrow for the first time. I will take a slew of pics as well. But until then I have a few questions. Seller claims he has title. Said he has license plate and lights as well he took off. I find that part strange and red flag.
    Did these cars come with titles?
    Can anybody tell me anything about these sellers pics?
    worst case how much to replace or better yet this whippet block or engine?

Will post more pics here before I make a move on this. Thanks in advance for any early info. I don't want to change anything, just put it back running and take the roll bar off.

Attached Files:

• 76.jpg
      76.jpg
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
    • 75.jpg
      75.jpg
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
    • 74.jpg
      74.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
    • 73.jpg
      73.jpg
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
    • 77.jpg
      77.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
    • 78.jpg
      78.jpg
      File size:
      51 KB
      Views:
    • 79.jpg
      79.jpg
      File size:
      64.6 KB
      Views:
    • 81.jpg
      81.jpg
      File size:
      52.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The Whippet engine is a small flathead four cylinder that was used in midgets, while the Alexander that I am familiar with is an Overhead Valve conversion head made for a Ford Model A/B engine.

There were a few Model A/B used in midgets but the Alexander would more likely been in a big car (sprint) or in somebody's hot rod.

This looks like decent piece that perhaps someone got titled and ran on the street at one point.

Thankfully there is no pin striping or Edsel grille, only a rear view mirror.

29. bigheadody

bigheadody

I understood it as the Alexander being the 3 speed overhead transmission. were you thinking alexander engine? Or I was reading it wrong. He did say you shift between your legs if that tell you anything.

He does say he has original engine made my whippet. Seller did say he remembers his father driving on the street. He said he took the plates and lights off. still has them.

One more question? Any pics I can take to confirm at real 1934?

I will be trading about value of $2800 to $3000 in trade value. Jump on it or pass? Seller is asking $7000. He likes my trade items. I want a project to work on and then take to car shows with my chevy II. Not looking to restore. Not looking to add bumpers and drive on the street. But if car is registered with title who knows. Would be kind of cool I guess.

Thanks again. Just trying to to learn as much as I can in 24 hours. I will have lots of pics tomorrow night.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  30. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Judging from just what is in the photos shown, and not knowing what rear axle and brakes are, I see a value of about half of the trade value you are possibly offering.

If he does in fact have a complete Alexander conversion head and the Whippet complete, his asking price is not unreasonable.

The last overhead transmission I saw was in my uncles machine shop and it was running the lathes with flat drive belts from the ceiling.