Register now to get rid of these ads!

YAY-HOO CUP 2014 - The Official Post!

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by BLAKE, Aug 8, 2014.

1. BLAKE

BLAKE

Our Yay-Hoo Cup Champ for 2014 is Jason Holland in the FE-powered A coupe. Jason's quickest pass was a 12.17 at 109 mph. The post with the full story is here.

[​IMG]

2. tcbigblock

tcbigblock

Hummmm ? this could be fun !!! need to know more ,can I put a 540 bigblock in my angila 13:1 racing fuel can I run NOS ? bolwer turbo are their classes, can I change parts at the track before the race IE 1:5 rockers to 1:8 . can I run a gear vender over drive ?? were are the rules. its a heads up race right .

3. tcbigblock

tcbigblock

ok I found the rules

12. Flathead v8 or inlines, pre-1962 inline engines with stock cylinder blocks only. No exotic aftermarket inline six overhead valve heads (Wayne). No OHV V8s or V6s. (If you are looking to run a straight 6 with exotic heads or a flathead with an o/h conversion, contact Ryan for some good news.)

Our Yay-Hoo Cup Champ for 2014 is Jason Holland in the FE-powered A coupe

fe ? ford overhead valve motor right? 352 390 type engine ? I must be missing something.

http://www.hambdrags.com/HaGr/rules.html

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  4. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

5. tcbigblock

tcbigblock

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  6. ryno

ryno

i am not a yay-hoo, well some may think i am, but what ever, heres my view... blake my chime in and have a guide line.
    the whole point of the cup is too drive you car.
    bbc, anglina,blower, swap parts, etc yes
    nos, turbo no
    id love to see you drive your car at least 150 miles to the track and run a solid number to contend for the cup.
    flamed a bone has been the keeper the first view yrs, drove from sc
    jason drove some distance also
    mike finished his car Thursday and drove 180 miles to win, and is now way quicker, mid 9's
    jason, drove down to joplin 400 miles, another 200 with me and not too mention the 1,000 miles from the week before.
    from the bs that i hear, there will be some serious car next year, i hope we will see a 9 sec pass for the cup!

7. BLAKE

BLAKE

I think Ryno covered it well. We don't specifically outlaw turbos or NOS... partly because we aren't big on 'rules', but mostly because turbos here are rare and NOS is not really in the spirit of The Cup, in my opinion. That 'Spirit Of The Cup™' is to celebrate those folks who drive their traditional hot rods to this traditional hot rod event and then beat on them going down the track. This year's champ, Jason, is a great example of that spirit... he did it perfectly. He drove his hot rod 400 miles on slicks with a goal of pushing it into the 11's, and his contingency plan for any major mishaps was simply a substantial network of cool and like-minded friends.

That's bad ass. Personally, I dig that much more deeply than I dig someone taking their 9-sec door-slammer out of the enclosed race rig exactly 150 miles from the track, driving it to the event, and then registering for the The Cup so they can beat the guy who drove 600 miles in an 11-sec Model A with a case of Octane booster and his slicks in the trunk.

Does that help?

8. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

Congrats to ALL the Cup contenders for driving to race their cars and to Jason (jho) for the win this year!!

You all rule!

9. Blake
    I am totally with you. My take on the cup has always been that it was for fast streeters, not a fast streeter in name only. Granted I am not a Yay-Hoo and anything that I would add is just opinion but here is my take on it:

I look at it this way, I have an old roadster that I have spent several years collecting parts for. At one time the old hooptie ran Gas Roadster then after that it was an Altered. When it finally hits the track it will be in a traditional tube chassis and running a full on olds race motor. I thought about throwing some street tires on it and either pulling a trailer with race gas and slicks or having a chase truck hauling the supplies it would take for me to make it to the track. I got the mileage covered as far as leaving from the house to Joplin. But it would not be in the spirit of the cup as I understand it, it would just wolf in sheep's clothing. To me the Yay-Hoo Cup has always been a class for streeters, genuine hot rods, not dragsters pretending to be hot rods.

Anyway that's my take on it for all it is worth.

Hey quick question for you. If I get the OK to run my bike from Ryan next year would it be eligible for the cup? You can answer in private if you prefer.

10. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

"jason, drove down to joplin 400 miles, another 200 with me and not too mention the 1,000 miles from the week before."

...and then he's pounding out more passes at the end when several are already out the gate. Congratulations Jason....well done.

11. BLAKE

BLAKE

I agree. The Cup was always intended to celebrate those who dared to race the hot rods they drove, as opposed to the ones who dared to drive their race cars. That's the 'spirit' of The Cup... and while it might be a blurry distinction to some, we know it when we see it. If that's too subjective, maybe we need to step it up... maybe 150 miles is too low a bar... maybe 400-500 driven miles should be the price of entry going forward...? We'll study on it.

Exactly!!! :D

12. Congratulations on the Cup. I think this is one of the best looking cars to win it also. It's just a pure genuine hotrod and I love it.