Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage HAMB Drags 2014 - A New Name on The YAY-HOO Cup!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLAKE, Aug 18, 2014.

1. BLAKE

BLAKE

The idea was simple. Let's celebrate those guys who dare to drive their cars to an event and then thrash on them to see what they'll do down the track. It's a straightforward celebration of engineering and guts... or maybe not. In the six years that we Yay-Hoos have awarded the cup at the HAMB Drags to the quickest car driven to the event, it seems the majority of our winners have found ways to make this simple notion much more complex... whether in the form of last-minute thrashes on barely-complete machines or via blown-up motors a few hours before the twelve-hour drive back home so the kids can start school on Monday as planned. This year was no different.

The Yay-Hoo Cup this year was awarded to Jason Holland ('JHO') in his FE-powered A coupe. Jason's plan was originally to hit the HAMB Drags as part of a 3800-mile road trip with his dad and Nick Hoesing ('MALCOLM') to Bonneville and points west via Route 66, but that was cut short in Colorado when they got news of the rains at the salt. A little bummed, they headed back home and planned a later, Wednesday departure for Joplin. However, on Tuesday, Jason learned that another buddy... the one which was expected to haul Jason's race gas, slicks, tools, etc., up to Mokan, was not gonna make it. What to do? The only logical thing... put the slicks on the coupe and make the 400-mile journey to Joplin in race-ready fashion. Simple, right?

Long story, short... by the time Jason arrived at Ryno's place outside Joplin on Wednesday, the cords were showing on them slicks. Worrisome, indeed, but apparently not enough to prevent running them just a little further on the 150-mile cruise Ryno had arranged for the group on Thursday. With that event behind them, it's safe to say that those slicks were effectively and completely consumed. New ones would be needed post-haste if the coupe was gonna get the deed done at the drags on Saturday... and luckily a mad dash thru the Springfield Swap on Friday paid off with new set of meats. Big fat ones.

At the track, Jason and the coupe clicked off no fewer than seven passes in the low 12's, but his quickest was a 12.17 at 109 mph. That slip made him our Yay-Hoo Cup Champ for 2014, for which he receives a dash plaque commemorating the feat and, of course, his name will be forever added to The Cup. We presented The Cup to Jason at the host hotel Saturday night in grand, goofy, alcohol-fueled fashion, and then Jason and crew made the run back home Sunday in record time... on some bias plies... simple.

Thanks, Jason... and well done!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  2. Congrats Jason. You done good. And I still believe it is as nice a coupe as makes the trip. Very trad my friend.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

that's just slicker than greased goose shit...congrats to jason

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

This is rad. Congrats Jason!

5. inkstain27

inkstain27

Congrats Jason

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Well deserved, cool car And good guy congrats!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - anything is possible, not always easy.

8. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Well done indeed. Good on ya Jason. An amazing weekend, and the new land speed record setting drive home to top it all off. I tip my hat. Gary

9. Moe

Moe

Congrats Jason!!
    Cool editorial Blake...

10. JRussell

JRussell

Man them are some fast red pants ! where are all the other pics of the ceremony of trophy receiving ?? Congrats Jason

inkstain27 likes this.
  11. BLAKE

BLAKE

Those are viewable only with an upgraded HAMB VIP Membership, a signed note from your doctor, and a notarized liability waiver.

12. ryno

ryno

awesome. i especially like the inter lock of finger love between law and you on the trophy, the pants, shirt,grin, and fat head all make it that more special.

hot-rod roadster likes this.
  13. JRussell

JRussell

Hahah!!

14. ryno

ryno

i think i will have that covered tomorrow after my drs signs off...
    e mail em.

15. BLAKE

BLAKE

'Special'... THAT's the word I was looking for....thanks, RYNO!

16. BLAKE

BLAKE

Proud Pops!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. JRussell

JRussell

Awesome ! Great guys right there

18. jho

jho
    from Omaha

Thanks everyone for all the kind words

19. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Gotta love that picture with the proud Pops in there. Not only did Jason win the Yay Hoo cup that day but Toms son-in-law won his first A feature at a local dirt track...same day...Proud in deed

Malcolm and hiboy32 like this.
  20. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

way to go Jason... you say proud papa, He say you better win that damn Yahoo cup after you too the intake off my galaxy! ha, Jason is the real deal!

21. The "Ya-Hoo" cup is the most prized trophy any HAMB'r could earn!

Congrats for earning it in that beautiful Coupe!

22. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Well deserved win,....great to get to meet both Tom and Jason and hang with them .....

[​IMG]

really cool trying to learn a new language as well.....:eek:..........:)....

K

23. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Congrats Jason!

24. das858

das858

Congratulations Jason was great to meet you and Nick at culvers in Lincoln, great car!

25. Muttley

Muttley

Congratulations on taking home such a coveted award.........now give Huggy Bear his pants back. :p ;)

26. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

27. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Killing them Jason!

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Congrats, again Jason! ..And a BIG thank you to Blake and the rest of the Yay-Hoos for doing this each year.

Malcolm

29. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

good job, Jason...now,,,,tell us about the FE ...I didn`t know you could get one of those things to go that fast!!!

30. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The whole weekend was great, but as I was headed home on Sunday I decided to flip a U-turn on 171 right outside of Asbury to hit an antique store.

As I was pulling into the lot I see that coupe crest the same hill I had with the hammer down. It was pretty well the perfect way to finish the weekend.