Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mepr, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Alrighty i have a 1964 Ford pickup. I think it would be cool to lower it and make it nice and what not. But its a 3/4ton, would it be a bad idea to try to hot rod a 3/5ton? If i get something like some moons you wouldnt see the 8lugs its just problem of finding a wheel like that in 16" whith a 8 on 6.5" lug pattern. Anyone have ideas? And if i do this it will be getting a 300 inline six from my other Ford pickup.
    Oh heres a pick of her...
    [​IMG]

2. 46stude

46stude

Hey there, mepr, how are ya?? Seems we always bump into eachother......

Are you dead-set on keeping the '64 a 3/4 ton? I had one thats been cut up & sent over the scales now (ruuuuusty), but at one time I had planned on swapping it over to 1/2 ton suspension.

Theres a company out there (ECI, I believe) that has a front disc kit for Ford truck straight axles, & I think they will work on 3/4 ton axles as well. The kit uses the 5 on 5-1/2" 2wd Ford truck disc brake rotors & GM car calipers, IIRC. Seems like the basic bracket kit was around $100 & you provide the bearings, rotors, calipers, etc.

Then you can swap the rear for a 9" & you'll have 5 lug wheels w/ 3/4 ton springs...kinda like a "heavy half ton". You could swap out the springs w/ a 1/2 ton or maybe remove leaves to lower it & get a nicer ride. I remember my '64 rode rough as Hell!

3. 46stude

46stude

4. well i looked at those trucks and about crapped myself. As my LUV truck Caddy swap has fallen through to keep my parts truck around for the 80 LUV im thinking of dropping the caddy into the 64. I would probly keep it 3/4ton so ill have a good axle (it has a 3.73 powerlok Dana60 for it im rebuilding). The only problem is wheels, i realy whant moons on it so i guess ill be spending more time at work on the english wheel to try to make my own caps for some 16" wheels i have. And hopefully make caps that will clear the hub in the rear. As far as lowering it, how hard is it to do a spring under? I have helped 4x4 buddies of mine do spring over lifts so this should be perty much the same right?

5. KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Summit sells 15in rims for the ford 8 lug pattern..

Jonney

6. I know i can get 15" rims whith the 8on6.5 pattern but does anyone know if they will clear the drums? That was my primary concern...

7. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

i'd just drive the truck the way it is

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

donno if anyone makes one, but a lug a-dap-ter-kit aint all that bad an idea,,, just need to get some wheels with the right backspacing, and drum clearance shouldnt be an issue then...

or how bouts droppin a 1/2 ton axle up front, and different shafts for that dana 60 you got?

jist thinkin out loud :rolleyes: and i better get back to doin my chores or mama fiddy gonna kick my ass. . . AGAIN :eek:

9. Frank

Frank

Just get some stock steel rims and some old chrome dog dish hub caps from like a early 60's Galaxie. Paint the rims anything but red (just to be different. Go with a green or blue metal flake) and maybe put some chrome/stainless beauty rings on it. Go with some thing like a 225/60/15 in the front. You might get a 235/60/15 to fit the rear. Not sure how wide of a stock rim is available. You might paint the grill the same color as the rims and leave it at that.

10. I have a set of 4 Ford 16" steelies that i was going to use. They are 7" wide or something like that, perty narrow. I did think about swapping a 1/2 front axle and the 9" from my old truck, but i already told my dad he could have the 9 for his 57 Bel Air...

11. farmer_joe620

farmer_joe620

whats up dillon! i think all you need to do is get a matching set of wheels, put some thin white walls on it, and drop it like 4 inches and thats it. maybe shoot a new coat of paint on it with some scallops too!

12. hey neil. Its funny how i run into people from other boards all over the place. 46 Stude up there i think has been stalking me... :D
    Im going to get the paint shot by a guy my dad works whith. He paints award winning cars as a side business. He told me he would shoot it for $200 :)
    I have a set of matching wheels, they are 16" Ford rims off of a 70s 250. Nothing special but they all match. Ill probly sneak em into work and sand blast those guys and get em shot the same colour as the truck.
    in the mean whilst i figure that stuff out i have a blower for a 500 cad to buy... :D

13. Scott

Scott

I have the calipers and rotors I believe for that swap,73-79 f100 150 rotors
    79-86 chevy pickup calipers NIB if you go that way

14. 46stude

46stude

Hey now, I was here 1st!!! :p

Your Pop would be better off using another rear. A full-size F150 rear will be too wide for the '57, I'd think. And the axles would need to be redrilled to another pattern, unless he's planning on running a Ford 5 on 5-1/2" pattern up front. So by the time he narrows it & redrills the axles, he'll have more $$ than its worth invested. Just my opinion, but I'd find a different rear if'n I were him.......

15. yeah that was my initial thought that it would be cheaper just to get a custom axle than to costomize this guy. But my dad has conections as any 35+ year vet. of the drag strip does...
    As far as the my truck goes, i think im going to try running whith the 8lug stuff for now. I already have a good diff. for it and wheels so ill have to see how that goes.