Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Found a 1939 ford coupe hot rod survivor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eightydeuce, May 5, 2010.

1. Stay on it, stay on it, stay on it, ya never know, he might get tired of you bug'n him and sell it to you? It happened to me! In the meantime KEEP LOOK'N!!!
    cw.

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "I'm gonna restore it one day." reply just kills me. This car has been sitting in this guy's yard for 4 years and he's not touched it. The odds of him EVER restoring it are zilch.

If you'd like to get him thinking about it, strike up a conversation about how much it costs to restore one yourself. Then tell him about a buddy who paid someone some obscene amount of money to have a car restored. Most non-car people have no idea what bodywork and paint would cost, let alone the mechanicals, interior, chrome, etc. Once he knows how much it will cost to "make a hot rod out of it", he'll gladly sell it to you.

3. And the one my buddy is more than happy to sell - not nearly as nice, but a coupe nonetheless - only generates "are you for real" responses.

If the guy's kept it this long he certainly doesn't need to sell it, and either eventually will get around to it, or die off and it will be at the estate sale.

4. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

hang in there, i just bought this one in pa will be in okla next week, i will sell it im sure but not sure what if anything ill do to it first ...

Attached Files:

5. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

My wife can never understand why I try to take different streets when we are going someplace or coming home. This is exactly why. You never know what you will come across.

Lee

6. nutajunka

nutajunka

With the guy's dad owning it, it might be tough to obtain. When my dad died I had his old tractor that he liked to ride and I didn't think I would sell it untill a good friend told me he wanted it and was going to restore it and keep it, so that was good enough for me.

7. bikebum1975

bikebum1975

Wicked cool. Love those old Fords they rock

8. I some day would like to come across a "great find" someday. Some of these storys just make me say. Why cant I find a 60 caddy for 800?"

9. 4 years is,nt such a long time.

10. nice find,i would be camped out on the guys door step waiting for him to get home

11. I would keep at it, so many of these old coots say that tired line of someday, next week, when I retire, when I get some money put away, etc..I'll bet you he never even touches the damn car, but if you keep in touch and be persistent I bet he will realize he is biting off more than he can chew and will sell. They always do. I hope you get it.

12. 55chevr

55chevr

Eighty Duece ... stay in touch with the owner ... priorities change and reality sets in ... That coupe needs a lot of work and money .... something else could come up and he could dump it ... stay close ... Joe (504 PIR)

13. sixfink

sixfink
    from Germany

two things have always worked well for me.

1st: include the "seller" in one way. Offer to keep him updated on the build, offer to give him a ride once it's finished. Show interest in the cars history, ask for stories about the car and his pops.

2nd: a larger-than-average bundle of dough. People tend to get weak when they are offered one or two grands cash (not necessarily covering the whole price, thinking advanced consideration). I know this is morally inglorious, and only a kind of last attempt. Also, I rarely have that much money available at a time.

Sincerity pays. I wouldn't sell sh*t to anyone who would clearly just want to sell things again for there own profit. Like everybody else, made some bad experiences with parts given away cheaply or for free to "help some poor guy", only to see those very parts wind up for sale, with a hefty profit.

14. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Maybe you can get somewhere if you tell him it's too nice to 'streetrod' as he said. Tell him you want to keep it as it was (which may or may not be true) you might persuade him

15. Yeah, the guy that lives in the house next to the one I grew up in has a '30/'31 Ford coupe that's been in his garage since 1974 that "he's going to fix up". I've been trying to buy the thing from him for 4 years now and he won 't budge or do a damn thing with it either. Keep trying, maybe he'll change his mind.

16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had been eyeballing a '40 Ford truck for years when I connected with his wife. She said "all" the classics sitting around were not for sale. There was only the truck, so I drove out to his place in my '32 Highboy roadster, and when he said he and his son were going to restore it, I informed him that I didn't have the 40 grand to do it right now anyway, and he almost shit in his overalls. Wanted to leave him thinking about ALL THAT MONEY someone will spend. I'll check on him later in the year.

17. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

For those wondering the coupe is still sitting untouched in the guys driveway...

18. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I've got my eye on a 40 convert that the guys dad owned. It's all apart with junk piled all over it, but it's in a warehouse. Says he'll never sell it 'cause someday........

19. metalman

metalman

You never know. 25 years ago I tried to buy a 40 PU from a guy, got the story where it's not for sale, going to fix it up some day. We kinda kept in touch over the years, last year he called and said he finally figured out someday will never come, did I still want the truck?

20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stored my avatar for 44 yrs before I could seriously work on it; but I'm working on it now. Things change when you can get up in the morning and the day is yours. I hope someone saves the coupe ,if it's not you. Good luck.

21. Show up with some hundreds in cash. Sometimes the visual of a shitload of money makes people reconsider their intentions.

22. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Looks like you're gonna have some rough nights trying to sleep!