Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally, My new project is here...1953 Suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhutch713, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jhutch713

jhutch713

Yesterday I did the Z on the frame, I ended up going 4.5" lower. All I had to determine was where I wanted it in relation to the firewall. This is what I chose, when the body is on the frame you won't be able to see the Z at all, it'll hit the front angle of the floorpan exactly without interfering.
    Marked the line...
    [​IMG]
    Cut her free...
    [​IMG]
    Welded the remaining 1.5" of joining surfaces... and marked the angle cut...
    [​IMG]
    Final welded the angle cut-out back in...
    [​IMG]
    Finished boxing in and threw some primer and flat black to keep the Savannah humidity out...
    [​IMG]
    ...not perfect but will make a great everyday driver.

2. i can see recent pictures but not first ones! cool burb!

3. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

i can see when you got the frame but before no pictures....

4. jhutch713

jhutch713

Today me and my oldest son pushed the frame out back, wire-wheeled it, cleaned it, shot it in some primer and flat black to protect the bare metal from Georgia... lol... or hold it off.... This isn't the final paint finish on the frame because I still have to add more body mounts, running board supports, and fine tune some small things before I start on the body work. As I complete these task, I'll paint the areas with their final finish one at a time in gloss black . It'll all come together. I already have all my metal in for my subfloor and floorpans and I have my new body mounts. Next I'll pull the body and start the transplant.
    Here she is all cleaned up...
    [​IMG]
    ...and with the intermediate paint on.
    [​IMG]
    I'm pumped and can't wait to take it for a cruze with the fam.

5. jhutch713

jhutch713

Not sure what's going on with the pics guys, but I do have a complete album on her (1953 chevy suburban) you're welcome to look. Here she was before the teardown.
    [​IMG]

6. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

looks nice but why didnt you weld the front some more it doesnt realy looks safe...

7. jhutch713

jhutch713

What do you mean it don't look safe?? What part? Its welded inside and out on everything, then boxed with 1/8" plate all around. Be specific. Any other opinions??

8. I sort of have to agree.. did you fishplate the front where the frame step is? Doesn't look like it in the pics but who knows you may of afterwards..

I just know that that wouldn't ever get passed engineering over this side of the world. I can appreciate the work and all.. but I too think it needs a bit more..

9. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

jhutch713 its a great looking project congrats...

10. jhutch713

jhutch713

Thanks guys, I appreciate your concern. I'm planning on fishplating all the places where I cut the frame for more solidity. After I do the transplant fabwork and make my body mounts I planed on pulling the body back off to final weld and final paint everything. I may just go on and fishplate it now to make sure there's no issues. Thanks.

11. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

28A has a point I'm from the Netherlands and there this frame adjustment wil be a grey area. . I live now in germany and this would be a big no.... I wish you the best with your project any ideas on paint and wheels?

12. coast40

coast40

The concerns about frame strength are due to the narrower section you made. The thinner area has the appearance of being a weak spot. Fish plate not withstanding. Here is a project I passed on. Paper thin metal.

Attached Files:

13. jhutch713

jhutch713

Thats a really cool find. I'm digging that. Yeah I am slowly working toward making the frame beefier and more structurally sound. I've been so busy I haven't had much time to work on it, but I'll get there. Thanks for the post.

14. jhutch713

jhutch713

Been tinking away on the burb finally... I got all my fish plates cut out. I finished welding the front fish plates on and boxed it in. Went on and shot it in primer and flat black so the Savannah moisture don't grab hold. Here are a few pics of the progress... this really done the trick, it is solid as can be... next I'll fish plate the back half and finish boxing the rear 12" of the frame. Then I'll finally be able to start the body transplant.
    ...Fish plates on.
    [​IMG]
    ...bottom view.
    [​IMG]
    ...box plate fabbed and in place.
    [​IMG]
    ...then welded up.
    [​IMG]
    ...cleaned up and painted.
    [​IMG]
    Still a ways to go but getting a taste of putting the body on the frame... can't wait to get my shop thinned back out. After I get the frame totally done with fish plates, brakets and body mounts I plan to pull it back out, finish grind, smooth and repaint a final paint job on the whole thing. Til then...

15. rat nasty

rat nasty

Looks good buddy thought about y'all the other day! Hope all is well!Tadd

16. jhutch713

jhutch713

Hey brother, all is well busy down here... How have you been? Miss the old KY every now and again. Hope we can catch a show the next time we ride up. If you're ever down round Savannah hollar at me.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  17. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I see this is an old thread, any progress? Nice, I also have a yellow suburban. IMG_7322.JPG