Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49-51 shoebox steering

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by otis50, Aug 16, 2014.

1. otis50

otis50

anybody out there have a list of steering boxes for a shoebox, its a little sloppy and would like to upgrade not rebuild. fabrication non a problem. stock box has 2 1/2 inches clearance all around with sbf and block huggers. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

A Cavalier r&p unit is easy to mount and works well. I have used several and the only change is in turning radius.Won't turn as short as the shoebox unit but still turns tight enough for parallel parking, etc. If you google cavalier r&p 49-51 ford it has a lot of hits.

3. ryno

ryno

Call Chris at shoe box centeral in okc

4. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

I posted earlier but the post is lost in the ether...

There is a 52-59 Ford Social Group here on the HAMB. There is a post right at the top that contains parts to swap for our shoeboxes. There are at least 2 options listed there to add to the advice above.

Jeff

5. otis50

otis50

thanks for the help guys. will do some research for the winter project.

6. How do I join that group? CLicked on it in Social Forums.....nothing happened.

7. castirondude

castirondude

I can also vouch for the Cavalier unit (I like to call it a Trans Am unit, sounds a little sportier). I used one in my '59.

It does take a fair bit of fabrication. Borgeson has a good selection of boxes that are bolt-in.

8. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

This type of R&P are used Opel Vectra, Ascona, Astra & Kadett + Saab 900 & 93
    Good to know for us from Europe

9. Cavalier rack in mine and love it. Plugged the lines and running it manual. No problems. I have a rebuilt manual rack but can't find a u joint coupler for the splined end of the manual rack. So i've been running the power slash manual for 2 summers now. Almost feel like power. Went to park at a show last weekend and the guy next to me says' hey cheating, power steering. But it's not. Anyone know of a u joint coupler for a manual rack ,let me know. No one has one it seems. It's for a base model cavalier, fierenza,etc. gm part number 7836277

Attached Files:

cool57 likes this.
  10. Rathbone

Rathbone

11. EBW

EBW

I will be using the Volvo box with Borgeson setup on mine.

12. Rathbone

Rathbone

What is that? (the Borgeson setup?) Where are you getting a Volvo box?

13. EBW

EBW

Bob, It is the Volvo box 140. I believe from the late 60's-early 70's Volvo. The "setup" is the linkage you have to purchase to make the setup complete. There are a few build links here on the HAMB that have used this setup. If I can dig up my parts list, I will get the specifics.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  14. Rathbone

Rathbone

I've been looking for a Volvo box, but haven't found one. I meant to ask where you found one.

I thought it worked with the OEM steering.

15. EBW

EBW

I got lucky. A buddy who knew I was looking found one listed on Craigslist. Every now and then one will be on Ebay also.

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I have one extra Volvo steering box,without steering arm.But i have no clue how pricey is shipping from here to US.