Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester 2bbl help- check ball stuck and I'm out of tricks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Aug 12, 2014.

1. So the chech ball is stuck - in the accelerator pump well.

This is the center carb from a 65 gto tripower & Been sitting in the trunk of a rotted goat for at least 16 years, and was last on a running motor in the mid 1980s.

Here's what I've tried.

Carb cleaner soak 2 days

ATF and acetone soak, 3 days.

Removed welch plug and a punch to move it from behind

Freeze off spray

Frozen in freezer a few hours and light heat on carb body with tapping

Frozen over night then light heat and tapping

None of that has worked.

I'm contemplating drilling a hole under the ball???

And now my concern is that if I do get the ball out, what kind of shape is the socket going to be in?

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Try a little bathroom bowl cleaner. If it is sulfation from water it will dissolve it.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Try compressed air via the hole it feeds for the squirter...and don't look down the bore while you try this!

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  4. models916

models916

Cobalt/rare earth magnet

5. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

After you get it out , make sure that you put the correct check ball back in. Not all carbs use a steel ball, using the incorrect one will cause the ball to be pressure swedged into its seat. Then you really got a problem.

6. Maybe that's the problem I'm dealing with now.

I went from 120 psi to 150 psi then 180 psi and got Nothing.

7. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

^What Bruce said. Another thing you can try is slamming the carb body (top gasket side down) on your work bench. Then hit it with air again, then slam it again, etc. I've had a few stick like that, and that is how I got them out. Good luck.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If you ever get the blasted thing out...the seat can generally be re-formed a bit by tapping a correct ball into it with hammer and punch.
    Is carb body corroded in that are, with white fuzz??
    Is the ball rusted?
    If the former, I like toilet bowl cleaner with warnings about HCL acid...some on top, try to get some injected to other side via the hole it communicates with. Short soaks, then rinse as that stuff can eat the entire carb body...which will, of course, release the steel ball but...
    If there's rust in the picture, soak in Evaporust...again try to get some inside too. This is the ONLY stuff I know of that can be used for a long soak of carburetor without destroying the casting.

9. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

Could you back pack the outlet channel with grease & use a straight punch to apply pressure ( after removing the outlet check ball & spring), similar to grease packing a crank trans pilot bushing to remove.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  10. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

11. I like the syringe trick.
    -Pat