Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Fremont Drag Strip / Boat Drags: Circa 1961 PICS!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Aug 15, 2014.

1. pastlane

pastlane

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

2. Damn. Blown, injected, hemis.....burning slicks down the strip.......wild altereds spitting and sputtering, and an Allison aircraft engine in a boat!!!! I was born too late, me thinks.

3. thanks youse guys.....really cool Fremont stuff.....and the boat drags - were they on the Sac river?

4. Great pics! Thanks

5. Nope ... Fremont is about 70 miles southwest from the "mouth" of the Sacramento River (i.e., where it empties into Suisun Bay).

The Fremont Drag Strip & Marine Stadium was located near the southeast edge of the San Francisco Bay ... and built on swampy farmland (i.e., wetlands with several sloughs and a creek just a few hundred yards away). The Fremont Marine Stadium was actually a 4' deep man-made pond ... filled with brackish water pumped from nearby Coyote Creek and/or the Bay.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    stillrunners likes this.
  6. Wow! My friend/neighbor Charlie Cass told me that they used to race drag boats there. He helped cut the circle track in back in the 70's (I think it was the 70's)... he said they kept digging up plastic. Seems they lined the track with plastic! I have asked many people over the years, and only a few had ever heard about drag boat races at Fremont. ust have been short lived.
    Sam

HEMI32 likes this.
  7. Oh... and that short flathead dragster... I think it might be Darry Capps' dragster... my buddy Tim's CRAGAR four banger was in it in the early 60's...
    Sam

HEMI32 likes this.
  8. deadbeat

deadbeat

wowie,thank you for posting.I bet that "Purple People Eater" sounded awesome at full noise on the water

9. awesome pics!

10. TomWar

TomWar

about that time, my friend had a 34 coupe /Chrysler, made a run and we were stopped on the return strip. I was just putting balls in the exhaust when a flatbottom came thru and lost his steering, it slid up on the grass and stopped about 30 feet from me!!

HEMI32 likes this.
  11. 296ardun

296ardun

What an incredible collection of pictures, thanks for posting them. I know where the dragstrip was, but where was the lake where they raced drag boats?

I can't idenfity most of the cars, the Fiat competition coupe was Sumner, Bert, and Mews (though other partners came and went)...anyone know whose fuel dragster went for a spin on the top end?

THANKS FOR POSTING!

HEMI32 likes this.
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very cool. I don't think I have ever seen the boat races in Fremont.

HEMI32 likes this.
  13. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Think I just saw this boat at long beach Sprint Boat Nationals . Or a boat just like with those Zoome Pipes

14. old gezzer

old gezzer

Brings back good memories. I ran in the first boat drags they had there. I had a Glen L boat that I built that had a 331 hemi. The Allison powered boat was owned by Smitty Weeks from Fresno and was a Belmont hull. It did sound great at the drags and even better at Clear Lake when he could stay on it for a long time!! The story I heard about the closing of the lake was that it leaked because of gophers or some other rodent's activities.

HEMI32 likes this.
  15. TomWar

TomWar

The Drag Boat pond ran right alongside the car drag strip, with the car pits and return road between them. I think it was only about 4 feet deep.

HEMI32 likes this.
  16. Bluedot

Bluedot

Wow, what a surprise. I raced some at Fremont in '68-'69. never heard about any boat drags. Musta shut down mid 60s?

17. Outstanding set of pictures. Thanks for posting.

HEMI32 likes this.
  18. flyin-t

flyin-t

The deck on that #35 is absolutely beautiful! Can't tell the make, maybe a Belmont, Miller or a Sanger but that little bubble predates the famous Sanger bubble deck by about 10 years, assuming that these pics were shot around 1960. I see that blonde leaning on a '59 El Camino and there's a '60 galaxie across the water in another shot.
    Thanks for sharing.
    [​IMG]

HEMI32 likes this.
  19. @flyin-t - As the title of this thread indicates, these photographs were taken sometime in 1961.

20. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

This is so rad! Thanks for sharing

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

HEMI32 likes this.
  21. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Very cool! My dad raced Fremont in 1961. Will have to show him these pics.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

HEMI32 likes this.
  22. These Drag Boat guys are some of the bravest folk in motorsports... when things go wrong under power, they usually go VERY wrong. Hats off to those brave souls

HEMI32 likes this.
  23. RamJet1

RamJet1

Having only started to go to Fremont/Baylands in the late '70's / early '80's, I would never have imagined that there had been a lake and boat racing there. Awesome shots and history! Was there on the last day it was open, used to have a chunk of rubber from the track.
    They had the best waffle fries there.

24. TomWar

TomWar

In the mid 60's I used to help tune Vern Amaral's boat "Flower Power" Blownfuel Chrysler in a Hondo Flatbottom. He flipped several times and broke his arm often. Dr told him "One more time and we cut your arm off".

HEMI32 likes this.