Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP!! Ford 390 will not stay running....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stangman05gt, Aug 15, 2014.

1. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

My son has a 63 t bird. stock 390 4 barrel. The motor was rebuilt 5 years ago but doesnt have 10 miles on it.It was started on occassion drove down the street and parked. An edelbrock carb was newwhen motor was rebuilt.. Now the problem...Its cranks and fires but will only run for a few seconds and dies. we took carb apart and clean it out and dropped the tank. The tank had some stuff in it. cleaned it out put in new fuel filter too. But does the same thing. We are stumped.Timing is dead on too. Any advice or knowledge is appreciated. It does have an electric fuel pump.

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

First you need to know is it fuel or spark......hook up a timing light and watch the spark pattern when it quits....then unhook the fuel line on carb....was spark still consistent? ...does fuel run out of line?..if its spark,disconnect pos side of coil, hook pos side of coil to pos side of battery with a jumper, now you ruled out switch, wiring resistor etc. if still a problem put a va um gauge on , does it drop before motor quits?...get back to us for more!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

FE fords often have problem with intake gasket leaks due to the nature of the intake manifold.. Your problem sounds like a big vacuum leak. If you can keep it running by pumping the accelerator or closing the choke that would be a clue..

4. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

The motor wont stay running long enough for timing light.Its like 3 seconds. Fuel is coming out of fuel line. We disconnected the line to make sure. My son will try the other steps but we dont have a vacuum gauge. Ill try to find one. Thanks.

5. RAR1947

RAR1947
    from Minnesota

Might want to look at the points to make sure they are clean and check the point gap as well. I had an FE that would start and stay running but barely(only fired every few revolutions). Turned out the point gap was too much. The extra volts during cranking would be enough to cover the gap, but it was too much distance to cover once in the run position. Easy and cheap thing to check at least.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Did you remove the fuel inlet fitting and needle and seat to clean out the inlet screen.

7. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

If it dies as soon as you release the switch from the start position, you have an open ballast resistor.
    Good luck.

8. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

RAR 1947 good point. no pun intended there. We will check the points. My son completely dissassembled the carb. I hope he got everything. Ill give my son the message on the points.

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Your problem sounds like it is electrical in nature, and one of the suggestions above will most likely cure it. On the other hand, you are seriously pissing off the Hot Rod Gods by having that Edelbrock carb on there. Sell that thing to someone with a Chebbie motor and put a proper Holley on it. :D

Good Luck.

10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

If it runs at all it has spark for that period of time, don't point it at the balancer, look at the light, this gives you a start

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

Does it run when the key is in the start position but dies when it is in run position? If so it is a bad ignition swithch

12. Points will oxidize when the car sits around, so I would look there first. Look under the cap, make sure there is nothing green growing in it, also look at the rotor. Pull the coil wire, again, make sure all the surfaces are bright and clean.