Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thanks Pops...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspeedwagon, Aug 13, 2014.

1. I had a post the other day asking a question about a '41 Buick and I alluded to this next thread.

Dad died this winter after a year battling brain cancer. He was a car guy to the end. Always working on and restoring cars. He liked em stock but appreciated performance. Pops bought a 64 impala SS 409/4speed new. Then the next year he gave the impala to grandpa and bought a new 65 Porsche. Restored brass cars, Pierce Arrows, etc.
    Dad left a collection of 9 finished cars and 2 more that were in process. This week I got to choose 3 cars out of his garage. I spent a lot of time in the shop with him and he spent a lot more time out there over the years. Each of the cars have lots of memories and I'm excited to share them with my kids. One of the cars is era appropriate for this forum but is foreign. Sorry.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407913678.421620.jpg
    I found this Chevy about 25 years ago and Dad got it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407913754.163913.jpg
    Here's that Buick, parked at a transfer location before I got it started and drove it home. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407913834.883601.jpg
    The dusty little OT car..
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407914098.684483.jpg
    Pops with his new 65
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407914280.614482.jpg
    Little guys inspecting the Belair

Posted using my chicken and 2 cigs

2. sorry about your dad, looks like he had good taste in cars. what are your plans for them?
    [​IMG]
    here's some inspiration if you decide to keep the buick.;)

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  3. jeta12

jeta12

Sorry for your loss.....Very nice cars. Good luck!!

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That red Porsche Cabriolet looks like about a '64/'65 356C model. The '65 coupe a 911 or 912.

Yes, your Dad had both a wide ranging, and excellent, taste in cars.

Ray

5. Thanks- I'm really beginning to appreciate the Buick recently. It was one of the last cars that Dad did and I didn't get to be around it as much as the others. I don't have immediate plans to change it. That black one is great.
    Hi Ray- the old picture was of a 65 912 that he bought at the factory. The one on the trailer is a 1960 "B" Roadster.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sincere sympathy to you and the rest of the Family. Cool cars to be proud of.

7. G,

"Before I drove it home"... that sounds like a good trip. I'm glad to hear you have the associated memories, good for you and your boys.

Something to think about - throw a notebook in each car and jot down memories as they come back and attach "new" memories for the boys with receipts or even candy wrappers... My dad had a friend do this with his cars and I can't count how many stories around the patio table were started with... hey go get the binder out of the coupe

8. That Buick is the tits. I would keep it just like it is. I like the idea of the memory notebook. As I age I keep forgetting good memories that I wish I could share with younger family members.

9. Hi Scott - It was a nice, peaceful drive home. It even has that whiney 1st gear that everyone with these Buicks comments about. Still looking for the fender skirts for it. I know they're around but Dad didn't like them. The notebook is a good idea. I'm forgetful enough already, can't imagine in 30 or 40 years.. Buick's too fresh for me to think that I should change it other than the skirts if I can find them.

10. Thank you for sharing.

11. Sorry for your loss.He did leave some very nice cars.Have fun with them.Bruce.

12. 1pickup

1pickup

Sorry for your loss. Great cars. Enjoy them & the memories

13. Model T1

Model T1

So sorry for your loss but happy for the memories of dad, the cars, and the new memories your kids will share.
    I also like the notebook idea. Even though I think my memory is good there are so many little things that soon get forgotten. Write them down.

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry to hear about your dad - the "big C" is a sonofabitch . You certainly picked 3 nice rides to keep his collection alive . The 356 trips my trigger also - my dad had a 63 356B back in the day when I was really young (so young I don't remember it) , but had kids & pissed it away in the very early 70's . Whenever you drive the cars , he'll be riding along ...

15. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

Keep your memories of your Dad alive with those cars. Time has a way of erasing memories you are not actively keeping and then they are gone. I lost my Dad almost 40 years ago when I was a very young boy. A few years ago I started working on a truck my Grandfather gave me before his death which my Dad drove to school. That truck is one of the few things I have to remember him by these days.

Jeff

16. Still haggling with my brother, but I'm hopeful to bring home an A Tudor that Dad was doing. That one, I'm putting together ideas for to hot rod. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408001219.648249.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408001336.301880.jpg
    In the background you can (kinda) see the other unfinished project, '24 Oldsmobile. Pops felt it was not a common year of Olds to have found.