Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SW Ontario mystery Austin Gasser

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by twoponchos, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Just picked this up today in the Chatham Ontario area.. Hoping maybe someone has some info on it?? What you see in the pics is what I got. Looks like it was a light blue before it was painted a cream color.

Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. I live an hour from there and don't remember it-but then again there's a lot of the 70's I dont remember...

4. captmullette

captmullette

could be a cool racecar.......

5. druids62

druids62

Drop a line to the ELTA. Some of the older cats there may be able to help. I have the name of another gentlemen that has been around cars in SWO since there was asphalt. PM me and I'll slide you his name.
    Love your find!

6. I have a stupid question. I was under the misunderstanding I guess that Non North American cars were not allowed here so with that have refrained from mentioning my own gasser here. Obviously I was mistaken. Somebody please enlighten me so I can join in the fun.
    don

7. Check with the ONDR group.

twoponchos likes this.
  8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Austins and Anglias are fine. Ryan did a post awhile back that had pics of what he considered a hot rod...there were pics of these cars as drag cars.

Meltdown Drags
    July 17,18,19 2015

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Chatham!?!?

What the shit!?Thts practically in my back yard!

Nice score!

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

If traditional 60's-70's style Austin drag cars are not allowed, I guess only model A and 32 Ford hot rods would be allowed on the HAMB (?)
    In my youth I attended some events at Cayuga Dragway in southern Ontario, but I am of no help in identifying this ex-gasser.

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Did you get doors or any other parts with it,too,or just the shell so far?

Sometimes that's the way it goes with race cars I guess: All the parts get stripped to build next season's car....

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

12. All I got is the shell. Currently on a hunt to find the missing pieces.....

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

It looks awesome.Good luck with the search,and let me know if there's any way I can help.

Scott

14. Was there a cage in the car at one time?.......BTW, Jim Oddy's cars were blue

15. Evidence of a single hoop behind the rear doors.

16. Davyj

Davyj

Not one I remember from the 70's. It might be a stalled project that never made it to the track. But it sure looks like it could be a neat nostalgia gasser/ rod.

17. Previous owner is no help with the history of the car... He actually thought that it was a Ford Prefect...

I put some feelers out locally hoping to come up with some info...

A few more pics...

[​IMG]

Rear Fenders have been widened 2"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. There was one called Old Rumble Guts that used to run at Cayuga. I saw it once since but that was a long time ago. It was dark brown or black. I cant tell as I am severely colour blind.
    As to what allowed I think I will not bother with my gasser project here. The body shell wasn't made in England or North America but a country "sud von da" even though there were many of them made and drag raced with North American V8s in the 1960s.
    don

19. Ralph

Ralph

I dunno, Dolmetch. Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission…… I'd like to see what you're up to.
    Ralph

20. Well, its a four door, so that just narrowed the field. Is the top chopped? Sure looks like it, and that's another possible clue.

21. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

22. Well Old Rumble Guts did have chopped top.

don

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Previous owner is no help with the history of the car... He actually thought that it was a Ford Prefect"...

How long did he own it? Can the previous owner put you in contact with (or provide the name of) the person he bought it from? If so, you might be able to gain some history from him or even backtrack to the next previous owner, etc.

You mentioned that you 'bought the car in the Chatham, Ontario area'. Do you know if the car has old time history in Ontario or could the car have migrated over the decades from another near or far away place?

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408195467.888839.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1408195481.174551.jpg

The second picture shows the stance a little better...What a pissed off looking little car!:)

Scott

And Don,what is your gasser?If it has a bit of history,I'm sure you won't catch any heat for it on here,and I for one would love to see it.
    Your stuff is always cool and I always seem to learn something from just about everything you've posted up.

Scott

25. I guess you are right. That is a 2 dr so it certainly isn't the old one above.
    My gasser? It is a VW body shell on a rectangular tubing frame with a straight front axle and ladder bar rear set up. Front springs are 1/4 eliptics and rear coils. Rear end is from a Duster which is only about a couple of inches wider then the VW would have been. Power is by Slant six which I am screwing together today. My friend Bill Villneff who gave me this body because of my deutsche blood built one (a 1965 body shell) with a Chev V8 (383 stroker Small block)and ran it successfully at the last Picton Airfield race. People loved it and it is wearing its old cloths not shiny and new looking. I think VW were the ones specifically mentioned as verboten so unless I get a direct permission from the site owner or moderators I will not post any pics etc out of respect. I can get in enough trouble just trying to behave.

26. HOTRODPOWELL

HOTRODPOWELL

I dont care where you or the Austin is frome I'm just glat you postevd pics.
    Austin Gassers Rule

Attached Files:

II FUNNY and LOST ANGEL like this.
  27. rfraze

rfraze

Mr. Austin, Rob Stewart, may be able to help with parts. Austin Works is the company name.