Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front end side to side wobble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zep058, Aug 8, 2014.

1. zep058

zep058

Wondering if you guys could throw out some ideas on a issue I have. My mid 60s Chrysler has a weird side to side wobble from a stop up to 15-20 mph. I can feel and actually see the movement. Once above that speed it smooths out and there is no shake through the steering wheel.
    Have had what I think is a decent alignment to eliminate too much castor.
    I have jacked the front up and checked for run out or bent wheel against a guide. Swapped front to rear with wheels, I'm running supremes which are unilug

What are some scenarios, would a worn steering pump, steering gear be a cause or a bent lower arm or spindle after a pot hole hit- how could I check something like that?

I'm at a bit of a loss on what it could be..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Are the tires the same type size and age, front and rear? Reason I ask is, my first thought was tires, especially if they are older and/or bias ply. But when you said you swapped wheels front to rear, that made me wonder if I was barking up the wrong tree.

Are the wheels deep set...sort of like reversed wheels? If so, that changes the front end geometry a bit and easily can/does cause the front wheels to be easily displaced from their path by minor road imperfections. As speed builds the momentum (gyroscopic effect) of the wheels can overcome that displacement more easily. Couple that with normal wear for car your age and what you describe is certainly possible.

3. zep058

zep058

Same size wheels and tires, standard offset 15x7 radials and a year old. Front end was rebuilt 2 years ago with everything replaced.
    This has appeared in the last few months or at least when I have noticed it.

4. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

At such a low speed it makes me think tire
    Air tires up good and tight, about 50 psi and take a short drive to see if it improves
    If its a tire they usually improve with higher pressure.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

By the way.....I really like those Chrysler hardtops from that era. Even the sedans and wagons are classy.

6. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Could be lower ball joints, I had a truck do this and was bitch to get the lower balls to move to check for slop,they were shot,once replaced that took care of problem.

7. Had a Chevelle once with the same problem. Drove me crazy trying to find out what was wrong. It turned out to be a separation of the belts on one tire. Very hard to see visually until it was pointed out.

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Chrysler made some great bodies and great engines but their front ends were pure S-H-I...you know the rest.
    70s Aspens had the nasty habit of the front wheels falling the Freak Off.

Do the simple stuff like make sure the air is up on the tires and that they are balanced. Check wheel studs, bearings, tierods ect ect.

Have a reputable shop check it out to eliminate the possibility of a part about to fail like a A arm or spindle.

9. Out of round/crooked tire/s or wheel/s

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Do you have another set off tires and wheels to run on the front just to test it? That may at least help in eliminating if it is the supremes or current tire set up?

Good luck.

11. Most likely to be tire related. Jack it up, give the wheels a spin, place something next to it so you can judge any runout.

12. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I am also thinking it is the tires. Find a set of tires and rims you can try and see how it goes. I find the belts in radial tires moving around to not be that uncommon.

It is sometimes hard to see when a belt is shifting in a radial tire.

Neal

13. zep058

zep058

Thanks for all the replies! I have another set of wheels but when I swapped front and rears it was an identical result. You would think if a bad belt was on one wheel the sensation would change slightly but was identical!
    When I get a chance will swap wheels out again but my feeling is something else is going on, so looking past tires would caster cause side to side or just a death wobble style?

14. Warped rotor or brake drum,,we had almost the same thing happen on our delivery van at work. HRP

15. Sometimes a ruptured belt is very subtle and almost impossible to find. I've had to dismount radials in the past and look at them from the inside to find it.

16. Usually you feel that through the brake pedal more than anywhere else. I would shake down the entire front end and take a good look at the upper control arm bushings.

17. Try your spare on each side,,,,

18. zep058

zep058

That seems to be the general consensus but such a pain in the ass