Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Thoughts on this 1953 Hardtop Buick? Would YOU buy it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmillsUT28, Aug 6, 2014.

1. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

Hey guys, looking for a new project and found a 53 hardtop Buick. Sat in a barn for 14 years. Not sure if it runs has the straight 8 in it. Everything is there but is missing the seat covers, door panels and carpet. There is one dime size hole in the drivers floor. Surface rust but no rust through.

What's a far price for this thing? Any idea?

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

$500.00. all "what's it worth" cars on the HAMB are worth $500.00. no more, no less.

CurbFeeler likes this.
  3. I had a 53 about 10 years ago.It sat under a car port for the longest time.Got it towed home and had to replace the carb and fuel pump all the hoses and belts and tuned it up and painted it.She ran like a scaled dog too.with the straight 8.I think i payed $1800. back then.Bruce.

4. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

looks straight and complete. I'm sure that 8 can crank over with a little love. my old 48 hadn't run in 20 years and it ran with new starter and points and was the smoothest straight 8 ever. if u can get that sucker for 2k or under that would be sweet. I try to look at cars im buying like this, what would I sell it for? some guys may say only 500 no more, but if you owned it,, you want more than 500.
    I say 2k or less.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. aaggie

aaggie

The trim and tail lights are worth the asking price. The shoe box Ford guys are always looking for the side trim, it was THE custom touch back in the day.

6. 51-buick.png 53-buick.png blue one is a 51, red one is a 53 SPECIALS
    we have a winner at 5:18 PM, bobgl1951chevy

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was wondering why it didn't look like a '53.....................if the car in the OP photos was one I'd go $1,500 on it. Bob

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

How much is the owner asking for it?
    Is it titled? If not, is title work a PITA in your State?
    Are you "in love with it" or settling for less? In other words, do you like the car enough that you'll see the project through until completion? This is a good question to ask oneself when contemplating a new project.

Pros are that it's a 2 dr., solid and fairly complete car.

9. Squablow

Squablow

Appears to be a '52 Super, which is the bigger body car, but with the smaller engine. If the side trim is as nice as it looks, that alone would sell for $1000, but you won't want to part with it anyway, so that's kinda moot. If the engine turns over and it has a clear title, I'd say that car is worth $2K, maybe $2500 depending on details. If the engine is tight and there's no title, I'd try to pay $1500 or less, that way you could always part it out for a profit if it turns into a big mess. Pretty car with the 2dht roofline.

10. If she doesn't run or the motor is bad they're a bear to update, you have to put in trailing arms or some other means to locate the rear axle to go to open drive.

Otherwise it looks decent and I agree with the $2000-$2500 assessment. But it's a 2-door hardtop, even if you don't someone else would likely build it.

11. jr9162

jr9162

It's a 52 Super. Where in TN?

12. I'm with the $2,000 crowd.
    It needs to be purchased by by someone soon and have some loved tossed over it.
    Pretty body style.

13. My standard reply on all the "What's it worth threads".

Whatever your willing to pay for it! HRP

Bubba1955 likes this.
  14. gatz

gatz

15. Yea where in T.N.is it?Bruce.{i dont want it just wanted to know}

16. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

You guys are right it. It's a 51or a 52. Shows how much I don't know about buicks. More of a Chevy guy. They guys said yesterday that someone was buying it that day. So say it's already sold. But will update you all on it.

17. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

The car is sold guys.

18. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

Well guys I bought the 52. Hard to tell from the pics but many there is no rust on this! Rockers have 0 rust and even under the doors there's none. Plus the stainless trim on the sides are in great condition. Just have one scratch the size of a dime on one. Will post up a thread with more pics. I got the title and it has not been titled since 1963.

Attached Files:

willbe likes this.
  19. retromotors

retromotors

Good work! I was rootin' for you....

20. metalman

metalman

If you got that for anywhere under 3K I'd say you did good. Come on guys, it's rust free and a hardtop! Of course I'm one of those guys that will pay a premium for a rust free car, rust repair just eats up too many $$$ plus no matter how good you are they usally never as good as a rust free one.

i.rant likes this.
  21. Have you figured out the condition of the engine? It's a good looking car.

Posted using my chicken and 2 cigs

22. Great car for an easy project. See there is some extras in the trunk. I'm after an upper grille 'moustache' for a '53 Buick if you have a spare or know where one is. Good luck with the Buick.

23. Well done, that's a nice thing.

24. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

What did you pay for it. It can help the Next guy with a "what is it worth thread".

25. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

So, what's not to like?? Real good lookin' ride.

26. Good deal, watching!

27. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

Hey guys got it for $2000. Still amazed at the condition of this thing. There is not rust except for a few spots in the passengers floor. Hope to know more about the engine this week. I did take off the pan and cleaned up the gunk that was sitting in it. Found no metal shavings at all. Everything under there looked great.

I cleaned out the radiator and will be installing new rocker gasket and fluid today. Have a new battery so will figure how if this guy will run.

28. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

my 48 Buick sat for 20 + yrs. it needed fresh gas, battery, points n plugs and it fired. those straight 8s are fun and bullet proof. I rewired to 12v and was ran a forklift 12v battery because it was long and skinny like the original Buick batteries. I think u can find the skinny batteries in more places now than using a forklift battery. but it worked!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!