Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 pickup build plan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A-Bomb, Aug 1, 2014.

1. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

OK guys, I have been working on a 32 ford pickup build. It has a 33 cab, but everything else is 32. My plan is to keep the stock length bed, stock height cab, full fenders, 6 row louverd hood top with no sides, lakes headers, early 5 spoke Americans with big and littles. Of course it will have the 4 inch dropped and drilled axle with hairpins. I will also use a 2 gallon moon tank on the front for my radiator overflow. I have not decided on a color yet, but want to keep it 60s style just like my yeller "A" coupe. If you will, picture this in your head and tell me what you think. Any artist out there that would like to sketch this idea ???? I am keeping the stock height cab and length bed to be different from everyone else and I am over 6 ft tall. Thanks in advance for your input

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Light to medium metallic blue would have a nice early 60's vibe

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Good to hear you are back on the truck again,Dale,I remember your yellow truck and I'm voting to go yellow on this one! :) HRP

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  4. clem

clem

Thanks for keeping it stock height - Pickups are the only '32 that look better stock height. IMO

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm digging this thread.

6. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Thanks Danny, I have been picking up a lot of parts and now have all sheet metal except hood. Will start stripping and repairing cab next. I will try to start posting some pics. I don't work near as fast as a lot of people. I am trying to do a lot of "sub assemblies" and putting them on the shelf ready for later. Hope to see you at pigeon forge show. I will be scouting the swap meet for more "stuff".

7. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I like the blue vote

8. I like your plans. I think that will be stylish in any color. But I like dark colors on these trucks. Nothing looks better than a glossy black, maybe with some old style flames on the fenders.

9. This will be a good'un!

10. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

image.jpg
    AA
    started on firewall...flattened and reformed bead for master cylinder clearance. Welded up factory insulator mounting bolt holes

11. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Home made brake pedal assembly near complete. image.jpg

12. Color Chips....

Attached Files:

13. Love the build plan. Did you tell us about the power end of things yet?

14. Dale,how about posting a photo of your old truck? HRP

15. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Here is a picture of a picture of my 34 pickup in 1987. image.jpg

16. Didn't you drive that truck to the NSRA appreciation at Paris Mountain a bunch of years ago?,,I seem to remember something unusual about the exhaust. HRP

17. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Yes, me and Randy"deuce roadster" came up with it. I had "chambered mufflers" on it. The ones that look like they have crimps in them. They were optional on 69 Z-28. With the short 4 inch megaphone exhaust tips it really sounded good. A little noisy though. I will be using them on the 32 pickup also. I also have them on the "A" coupe. They are sold online now and I think they are called "power sticks" chambered mufflers.

18. I remember just how good that truck sounded,,I was driving a black 40 DeLuxe sedan at that time. HRP

And now back to the regular scheduled Deuce pickup truck thread.

19. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Rocket, I will be using a SBC (I know, I know) dressed early 60s style. It will be built a little lumpy, but dependable. I will have an auto tranny of some sort in this one. I already have a V-8 maverick 8 inch rear that I just installed a new 3.55 gear set in. I have a set of 56 ford pickup front brakes freshly rebuilt waiting on the shelf.

20. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

That blue really looks good on the T bucket !!

21. According to a feature article on that car in SR magazine May 2010 the color is described as:
    '1956 Dodge Royal Lancer Blue Metallic'

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

I've looked at that chambered pipe, and was thinking about that as an option for my 32. I bet it does sound good. Keep the updates coming

23. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

I have a original 32 frame that was under a drag car years ago. The rear horns were bobbed off and the front horns were all twisted. I replaced all of them with Re-pops. I will use the four link set up in a parallel position. I have welded in an original "A" front crossmember. I scored an unused tubular frame crossmember set up that will be blended in with the 4-link crossmember.
    The Mack Products 32 bed is really nice and fits the frame perfect. I have have also fabbed a new rear spreader bar . image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

24. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

56 Ford P.U. Hubs and drums re-drilled for 4 1/2 bolt pattern. New drums turned on hubs and sprayed with grey hammer tone paint. Backing plates blasted, primed and painted with rustoleum gloss black. I used new 66 ford P.U. Brake shoe hardware to have self adjusting brakes.
    Front 14 inch 5 spokes blasted and outer rim polished the best I could. New center caps and lugs.15 inch will be on rear.

Attached Files:

25. Dale,you did a great job on those old mags! HRP

[​IMG]

26. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Thanks Danny, I wish there was someplace close by that could weld up the nicks and polish the outer rims real good. Shipping is just too high to send them across the country.

27. That just adds character and shows you are using mags that have a past!

Besides, when the truck is finished no one will be notice the little imperfections.HRP

28. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Center is now trimmed out of pickup dash with a little lip left to support gauge panel. Dash has been blasted and epoxy primed and is ready for glazing putty. Two louvers worked into top of dash for defrost vents. Home made gauge panel complete with early style VDO gauges.

Attached Files:

29. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

I blasted the original stainless 32 car headlight buckets with aluminum oxide media. This leaves a not too rough finish that the primer and body color paint will stick to .I wanted to have painted head and tail light buckets for more of a commercial look.The original rings were polished. New lenses and clips will be used. I bought a set of commercial 32 tail lights and brackets off Ebay for a super price.

Attached Files: