Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Factory 58 ford 4x4???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChrisBlattie, Aug 12, 2014.

1. ChrisBlattie

ChrisBlattie
    from Montana

I just picked up a 58 ford pickup & the stuff under looks original to me, but I'm not sure if it really is...can someone tell me by looking at the Vin tag?

I can't seem to upload the pic of the Vin tag right now but I'll keep tryin.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. There weren't any 'factory' 4WD trucks in those days, you could special-order one but the conversion was done by an outside vendor, usually Marmon-Harrington. Look for a vendor plate....

3. GEORGE MAZ

GEORGE MAZ

NAPCO and Spicer ...names can be found cast along the axles, or a metal tag on the transfer case. Your stamped GVWR will be higher than stock model rating.

4. I thought Ford's first factory 4x4 was '59......
    Are you sure about the year? If "converted" by MH, etc it should have a tag on it somewhere.
    Any pics?

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Indeed 59 was the first year, it was equipped with a Spicer 44 on the front and a two speed transfer case.
    I'm sure some Ford 4x4 enthusiasts may be able to give you more production info.

Likely it is a 59 or maybe even a 60 mis-titled as a 58. That's quite common especially on a 59 if it was bought in the fall of 58. Another factor is that a owner was mistaken about the year and transferred that mistake to a Bill of Sale or Title.

59-60 4x4 truck with 58 sheet metal??

This could indeed be a 58 that someone converted to 4x4 with later parts. It's not hard at all and it can be done very easily with factory parts.

6. ChrisBlattie

ChrisBlattie
    from Montana

I'm still workin on the pictures

7. ChrisBlattie

ChrisBlattie
    from Montana

Still not able to upload it. I can email it to somebody though....

The serial number is F10J8K34882

GVW is 5000

8. ChrisBlattie

ChrisBlattie
    from Montana

9. ChrisBlattie

ChrisBlattie
    from Montana

1407869614137.jpg

Attached Files:

10. ChrisBlattie

ChrisBlattie
    from Montana

Pretty sure after a closer look from the creeper this is a morphodite

11. ChrisBlattie

ChrisBlattie
    from Montana

1407870173315.jpg Can somebody tell what the motor is?

12. Probably a 292, the carb is non-original to the truck but might be original to the motor if it's been swapped in from a later truck . Could also be a 272 or 312, but I would consider that a remote possibility.