Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The fleetline that may be someday

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jeffs_sledz, Jul 28, 2014.

1. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

Well, its taken me years to get this far on the project, but my fastback finally looks like a car. Got the fleetline about 4 years ago from a fellow hamb'er.
    The car was chopped a while ago, not really sure when it was done though. And someone removed the front suspension before it came into my possession.
    I had planned to do the mustang front end and I had gathered all the parts to do the swap when I stumbled onto a 50 Chevy at the local junkyard. Needless to say the mustang plan got trashed and I bought the stock front suspension for the car. That was about 4 years ago. Then sadly, the project got stalled out. life getting in the way again.
    Fast forward to two weekends ago when a buddy found me the one part i didn't have for the car. The radiator core support. I got it home, cleaned it up, and finally was able to assemble the front sheetmetal.
    So, that's where I am right now. The fleetline finally looks like a car, and needs everything. My next step is to find a decent running inline 6 for the car and make her roadworthy.
    Anyhow, here are a couple pics of the car. The first two are from the previous owner and the last two are from this past weekend.
    Now i just have to hope the project doesn't stall out for another four years...

2. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

here are the pics

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      478.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      369.5 KB
      Views:
    • 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      410.6 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      387.1 KB
      Views:
  3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Awesome!

Just keep plugging away and soon it'll be cruisin'

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Hey, on TV all that only takes less than 1 hour - Ha! one day at a time, with future planning and parts gathering. keep updates going

5. 'Mo

'Mo

jeffs-sledz, I've been wondering how you're doing.
    That really is a beautiful chop. Glad you got the Chevy front end.
    You don't mention that KILLER motor project (I don't want to give it away). Is it still in the plan? Did you find what you needed for that? I hope you'll update us on the 216 board. Cheers!

6. Torchie

Torchie

Hang in there. As you said it looks like a car now.
    I won't even begin to talk about how long my latest project has been taking....
    Torchie.

7. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Looks like they did a nice job on the chop.

8. Eric H

Eric H

That's a very nice chop. It's strange that it stalled out at that point for someone, most quit once the roof is just tacked back on. What worked for me on this last one was to spray it all one color with some $100 single stage semi gloss and then got it running. It's all about mental warfare with yourself, these two things are major in altering your own perception of the car and what it needs. After that compartmentalize each job and before you know it it will be done. Compartmentalizing things helps the mind and the wallet, it will keep you moving forward and on track. Great car, hope this helps.

knotheads likes this.
  9. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Very nice chop, not too much and really nice flow. About as nice a chop as I've seen on a Fleetline. I will be interested in the final outcome.

40fordtudor likes this.
  10. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

My main problem is the projects that keep following me home. I'm finishing up a 1965 Dodge D100 that will be the new daily driver. It's got a full custom interior, but everything else looks stock.
    Then I have a 1950 Bel Air Hardtop that just followed me home. Getting that one running to try and sell it for a little profit.
    And then it's time work on the Fleetline again. Right now I'm gathering parts for it. So far the newest parts for the car are the 1955 Chevy grill and the 1956 Olds headlights. I'm going for a late 50's period custom. I just had to see what the car looked like as a complete car.

And Mo, I still haven't found the head gasket for that engine, so I'm building a mildly hopped up 235 for the car until I can get that one sorted out.
    M goal is to have the Fleetline on the road by Christmas.

Eric H likes this.
  11. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Hey dont sweat it! It took me 7 years to restore my 62 ford galaxie.with job, wife,grandkids and the passing of my firstborn life goes on.Im now working on a 56 ford victoria.

12. 'Mo

'Mo

jejjs-sledz, I don't know if you saw this on the 216 board, but here's a kick in the pants for you.
    (I hope I'm not giving too much away on that absolute KILLER motor. LOL! Priceless!)

'nuther kick, dude!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  13. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

music to my ears!

14. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

Ok Mo, sneak peek at my longterm plan for my drivetrain....Just because its a custom doesn't mean it cant have a cool mill under the hood...[​IMG]

flyin-t and Eric H like this.
  15. 'Mo

'Mo

16. The original "W M D" - WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION.... written right there on the side of the head

17. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

The lead for the head gasket fell through. So my search continues. I'm still hoping to find one somewhwere, but worst case scenario is to o-ring the sucker and just use a copper shim gasket. Extra money I don't really have right now.
    But for now I found a running 235 babbit pounder to drop in the fleetline. I am in the process of pulling from its home in a 1950 Chevy. Time for some cleaning and paint to maker her all purty for now. Ill post some pics when I can...

18. 'Mo

'Mo

That 235 must be from a Powerglide car? Be sure and pull the 3:55 pumpkin/torque tube, while you're at it!

19. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

That is the nicest chop I have ever seen for that body style---usually they are botched pretty badly.

20. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

Not much new to report yet, but I did find a cool valve cover to use on the mild engine until the Wayne is finished.
    A McGurk valve cover. Hadn't seen one in years. Was out at Pomona swap meet last week and got a sweet deal on it. I'll post a pic when I get home today.

Otherwise I've just been collecting small parts I didn't know I needed until I assembled the front clip. Who knew there were so many damn parts to it

21. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

if you haven't posted anything at inliners.org about the need for a gasket for the Wayne head, might be an idea to consider.

22. Yep, agree with above posters, nice looking chop on a Fleetline.. Looks good.:)

23. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

I'll give the Inliners a try again, they are the group that gave me a lead for the head gasket that ended up falling through

Attached Files:

24. 'Mo

'Mo

Hey 'Sledz, "Christmas Time's a-Comin'!!!" Are you getting stuff out the way for an end zone run?
    I hope you'll refresh your pics on the 216 board!

25. jeffs_sledz

jeffs_sledz

Not much progress to report. Been collecting more parts for the car.

I've been busy with my 65 Dodge pu, and it's finally ready for final assembly. So it's almost done. And then back to the fastback