Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage mechanical fuel injection pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by longstory1948gmc, Aug 11, 2014.

1. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Hi guys just wanting some pictures of some vintage mechanical fuel injection setups. I love the looks and performance and wanna see some.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Deuces likes this.
  2. There were a bunch. Hilborn, Enderle, Crower, Moon, Rochester, Lucas, Algon and Kinsler are a few to get you going. Hillborn, and Kinsler still exist. Alcohol is ran alot with mechanical injection. Rons Racing, Alkydigger dot com, and the previous companies still sell a lot of those pieces. It's always on, needs maybe a squirt or 3, to get it fired, but it is cool to see the pumps spun by a cam belt or what have you. Some of the sprint racers, and mud racers still run them. Wouldn't think it would be too crazy, far out, to run. It's been around a long time.......Bendix, Bosch, and some of the factories I think ran them stock in whatever lineups existed then...maybe a hundred years old by date of first use? Dunno'....just know enough that the rednecks still run them...so what the hell? Looks cool, and guessing not so bad to work with. Perfect place to ask. Many Gods of the Iron around these parts. These cats amaze me daily. Even you, just asking to run this setup. Different breed of people here. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. Know you asked for pictures....just figured Google could help you now. Have fun.

deucendude likes this.
  4. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Listed on the world famous auction site as we speak....under Hilborn fuel injection. There are some mind bogglers listed too....427's and 426 Hemi issued goodies. Wow kinda' thinking there brother. Definitely looks funner than a carburetor.....even if you have to tow it there.... There are companies that retrofit/hide electronic efi in some of these older setups. If you have the budget, anything is possible.....but then again, brains, and temperament, sometimes is all you need.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Find a local dirt oval track that runs winged sprint cars, check the schedule, take your camera with you, buy a pit pass, be respectful(remember ; to us it's entertainment, but to them they have a show to put on!), ask first, then take all the pictures you desire! Oh, STAY ALERT : RACECARS ARE NOT TOYS, & CAN BE DANGEROUS IF NOT RESPECTED!!

6. Here ya' go. Vintage Hilborns and vintage me!
    [​IMG]

elgringo71, glrbird, racer-x and 20 others like this.
  7. Larry T

Larry T

8. image.jpg image.jpg Hilborn Two Port.... On a 6-71 GMC Blower...

On our dragster

9. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Thanks guys I know what is out there as far as manufactures of that stuff but I just like seeing them actually on running cars.

10. Damn, even the trees look good! White pipes, new jacket, sweet hot rod.....take the picture once my hair part lines up! That is an awesome picture sir. I'll take any of the above....especially the hair!

11. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

I know this soundw dumb but is there a cfm rateing or is the in the tuneing? Also would a mechanical stack be decent for a daily driver?

12. How about a little Hilborn 4-71 2 holer. I gave Rocky Childs $200 for this set up when he sold his blown '37 Chevy coupe. I tried hard to make it work on the street, but it wouldn't happen, so I went to the 2 WCFB's.

[​IMG]

13. Larry T

Larry T

I gotta go with Dean. I've heard folks say you can make them work on the street and read the magazine articles, but as far as making it a good, practical fuel system for a daily driver -- it's probably not gonna happen. You might look at GM's mechanical FI from the 50's and 60's to see what "sorta" works.

14. rascal55

rascal55

Check out alkydigger.net , Mike Chilandro , can make it
    run on the strip or street .

15. It's time to throw cfm out the window. Cfm is more of a carburetor designation. No venturi, so to speak with injection....so no cubic feet per minute.
    Throttle bodys have butterfly sizing as a flow indicator. The injectors supply your fuel of choice under pressure versus your engine's fuel demand. With it being a constant flow fuel charge....the fuel of choice is supplied as the pump is spun. Being mechanical, this pump is determined purely by what your engine rpm is.
    Your nozzle, and main throttle body jet(if I can call it that, depends on your setup)....develops the pressure, to flow fuel into your engine. With higher RPMs....the fuel pump will produce more pressure and volume than the engine can use. So, at wide open throttle, a hi-speed bypass or fuel cutoff is required.
    A mechanical setup, will have a fuel pump, spun by cam device....belt/drive....your fuel nozzles...your main jet...and your barrel valve(..again, different setups...but all are typically close). Your nozzle size delivers enough fuel at wide open throttle for your engine, while your main jet is used to vary the amount of fuel allowed to return to your gas tank, setting up your actual fuel curve. 180 degrees different than a carburetor.
    The barrel valve acts like a fuel shutoff, controlling the amount of fuel for engine idle and transitional fuel change to wide open throttle. Barrel valve works together with the secondary bypass valve for off throttle fuel control.
    Hope this helps. Sounded good when typing, but sitting here with my eyes crossed, reading it back.....I have determined.....that you may want to find a book on the subject. The description is just your BASIC fuel injection introduction. It's not that hard to wrap your head around. Similar to electronic fuel injection, one can pretty much throw as much "CFM so to speak" that your engine and driving style can handle.
    As far as drivability goes.....that all depends on how bad you want it to work, and what your realistic definition of "driving" may be.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  16. hilborn on a 401 buick I had in a Model A roadster mid to late sixties. I converted the setup from alcohol to gas.
    [​IMG]

mgtstumpy and Deuces like this.
  17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many nice injection setups here. I run a Rochester 4800 unit in my 57 FI BelAir and it runs very well-has for years but doesn't like todays fuel too well-can cause a little hard start issue when hot but just blow it out and you're good to go.Runs great on race fuel but too pricey just to cruise around.

18. My 32 truck with Enderle direct port injection. racetruk5.jpg RaceTrukEngine.jpg RaceTrukEngine1.jpg
    I used an electric fuel pump to prime the injectors from the Moon tank until the belt driven pump took fuel from the large tank in the bed. The injection ran good at the drags but only marginally good on the street.
    To be honest mechanical injection isn't as sophisticated as a carburetor. A carb has idle circuits, etc and the injection is built basically to work at WOT.
    I messed around with it for a while but just wasn't smart enough to make it streetable.

Mick

mgtstumpy, 72yenkonova and Deuces like this.
  19. Vintage Hilborn-Travers unit for Ford flathead.

DSCF0686.JPG DSCF0685.JPG

20. Later Hilborn flathead unit.
    DSC02482.JPG

mgtstumpy, KiWinUS and Deuces like this.
  21. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Reynolds Aluminium BBC, Crower manifold, Lucas mechanical metering system. MVC-018F.JPG MVC-010F.JPG

22. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

J
    God, I love them can am cars. I can only imagine what that injected big block winding to the moon inches away from your head must sound like!

23. 0ldracer

0ldracer

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

^I would love to build an engine like that^

Deuces likes this.
  25. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

This truck was at the Melt Down Drags. It is a bad ass truck talked to the owner in the staging lanes. Real nice guy and has a real passion for 292s. I've always been a SBC guy but I would mortgage the house for that setup in my 55. It has a clutch type Jerico. Man I can't get that setup out of my mind. Ron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Heres my old 31 Chevy with an old Crower straight stack setup. Quain Stott is making it run better here.

Meltdown Drags
    July 17,18,19 2015

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, Deuces and enloe like this.
  27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here are some i have done that you could have found by doing a search. "56 Lincoln, 32 plymouth flathead, '32 Plymouth Overhead and '55 packard. Now go do yours.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

Lookin good !