Register now to get rid of these ads!

History SUNDAY SUNDAY at Aquasco Speedway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by schwinn1, Feb 21, 2009.

1. How many cars will be there?

2. There were probably 30-40 cars there as it was a "car show" as well as a tribute to Aquasco event. Not every car there was related to Aquasco. Marco DeCesaris had a car there on display and probably will again. It would be nice to see this event grow to the point where many of the other former competitors might attend. It's just not quite there yet.

lothianwilly71 and Manson like this.
  3. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Last year's show was a Friday night cruise in with a nice tribute to Aquasco Speedway that had some old trophies, photos, and memorabilia, as well as some really cool video footage taken there over the years and some folks talking about their experiences at the track. It was small which can be expected for a first year event, but I really enjoyed it and it was neat to hear some of the stories from the guys who raced there. As Don said, I really hope it grows in the coming years where you see more of the old racers come out, as well as some of the cars that raced there.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. I love the old stories. Went to the York reunion this year. My 39 Hudson will be a gasser when I get to it.

5. Great stuff! Thanks for posting it.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  6. DYNO360

DYNO360

Found a couple pics from Aquasco 1961. Evidently, I was impressed by the Corvettes. 4-spd transmissions were still rare and these cars would "squat" with every shift. Fast too. I was in the spectator area and couldn't get very close. Pics were taken with a "brownie" camera with a fixed lens. Notice the Southern Maryland dust that the cars would bring onto the track. Cars would go up a little hill to get to the starting line. They would spin the tires a little to clean off the red clay, but they couldn't get it all. "Burn Outs" hadn't been invented yet. Still looking for more pics.

Attached Files:

7. a few passes on video start at 1:37 into this

8. Very cool. Thanks for posting.

9. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

I didn't get a chance to take many pics of Sunday's show, but here's two that might be familiar to you guys- The first was an old Truimph drag bike, and the 2nd was the Gene Mori's ChevWagen that is currently being restored.

I wish I had the chance to get some info on the Truimph, as it was a really cool bike. By the time I saw what I assume to be the owner there with it my 2 year old was getting cranky so we had to leave. The turnout was decent- cars seemed to be coming and going throughout the afternoon, and memorabilia and old race footage was set up inside the firehouse. It's hard to say what will happen in the coming years with the new firehouse being built, but hopefully if they continue to have the show they'll promote it a little bit more and get some more of the historic race cars to show.

Attached Files:

10. Thanks for posting the pics. I didn't make it down there.:(

11. Here's a shot of Gene Mori's V-8 Volkswagon circa 1966 still in primer before being painted blue.

Attached Files:

12. Second photo is one of Malcolm Durham's early "Strip Blazer" Chevelles. 08192014.jpg

lothianwilly71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  13. 10052014.jpg If you spent any time at Aquasco in the late 60's you couldn't miss Rufus Boswell's '39 Chevy running B-Modified Production. Featured here in the Nov. '65 R&C the car used a '64 Chevy engine with 14.5:1 compression ratio and a 5:57 rear and was always a contender and always immaculate.

lothianwilly71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  14. 0ldracer

0ldracer

This blue Chevy Sedan was always superbly detailed. And let's not forget, Rufus Boswell won B/MP at the 1965 NHRA NATIONALS in Indianapolis. It ran as good as it looked!

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. ........................So true.:)

16. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Two weeks ago at the Rodders Journal Revival in Baltimore a gentleman came by and dropped off some old photos. That person is probably on the HAMB, and if he is, Thank You Very Much. This one is from Aquasco Speedway in early 1964. AltizerScan1.jpg
    Gene Altizer won A/Gas at the NHRA NATIONALS in the fall of 1963. Several weeks after that event, he took his A/Gas National Champion Anglia and stripped it down to the bare bones, saving many parts, running gear etc. and then scrapped the rest! He then built an all new car, and this is it shown on the return road at Aquasco.

17. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great picture Dave. You are such a wealth of information.

18. Thanks a bunch for posting this Dave. Love the old photos.

19. ..................................and stories.:)

20. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Another photo from the same donor as the one in post #260.
    BearScan1.jpg
    This is Fred Bear's Willys early in 1964, very possibly the same day as the previous Altizer photo. Shown here on the return road at Aquasco Speedway during shakedown runs the "first time out". The brand new car has not yet received the S&S Racing Team logo or any other lettering. This car would become Eastern Drag News B/Gas Record Holder later in the season at Atco Dragway in New Jersey.

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Pete L.

Pete L.
    from New Jersey

Fellas,
    Can someone post pics from the gathering at the firehouse ?

22. DYNO360

DYNO360

Great Photos! Gassers were the best. Thanks for posting.

23. 0ldracer

0ldracer

One more from the same batch.
    BearScan2.jpg Fred Bear's B/Gas Willys. Shakedown runs included trying to keep the front wheels on the ground, or at least close to the ground. Notice the weight bar attached to the tow bar brackets. The following week a few suspension mods including lowering the front ride height took care of that issue. The guy in the back of the truck is crew member Mike Dwyer.

Attached Files:

24. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Ooops, Second photo shrunk? Here is what is looked like a few weeks later.
    FredPushTruck.jpg

lothiandon1940 and kiwijeff like this.
  25. 0ldracer

0ldracer

I have no idea where this one came from. It may be on here already, but a slightly different angle of Aquasco Speedway in 1964. Home of the AHRA Summer Nationals one year.
    Aquasco1964-background.jpg

26. Dave I love these old photos. Especially the early S&S pictures. How about some early Fred Gene Pork charlie or your self pictures. Last year had the privilege to sit with Gene at Henderson and loved his drag stories.