Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Merc Monterey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowmerc54, May 25, 2008.

1. lowmerc54

lowmerc54

Hey guys what do you think of early to mid fifties Mercs? I just started a '54 Merc Monterey 2dr hdtp. I'm using Jamco "3 in. lowering leaf springs on the rear and "3 in drop on the front. Motor is stroked 302 and c-4 combo, not sure on the color but it will be blue. wide whites and sombreros for sure. Any comments are appreciated, thanks.

2. Awesome cars. I got a semi custom 54 ford and would kill to have gotten a Merc. I am running a 351 and a c-4. Jamco stuff is great. Search the threads for 54 ford or merc threads. Lots of good ideas. Welcome to the HAMB

3. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

yes pic's please.... I love all Merc's

4. Kid in High School drove a 54 Sun Valley in red and white [factory paint] with a lowering job and beautiful sounding dual exhaust on the 255 Y-block....to die for.
    And it was just a stocker! I love 'em.

5. Brian W

Brian W

Oh yea! You gotta love the mid 50's Mercs! I had the pleasure of driving this one for about a year. What a beautiful machine!

[​IMG]

6. lowmerc54

lowmerc54

hey thanks guys for the replies, this is my first and not hopefully last traditional kustom. I'll try to post some pics tommorow, coincidently thats a nice hdtp in that pic. I have even given her a name i dubbed thee Sir H.O.S.S. that's the heap of shit special.

7. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Did you guys see this one in the Paso Maria thread yesterday?
    I have big plans for one, if I can talk my buddy out of his.
    [​IMG]

8. lowmerc54

lowmerc54

yeah i saw in the latest issue of rod & custom

9. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne
    from Olathe, KS

I think the '54 Monterey is a PAIN IN THE ASS trying to locate parts for! Seems just about everything for that model year is a one off part - hardly any interchangeable parts from Ford!
    BUT... Hey that's the fun part really. Sorta like going on a treasure hunt! I have met some incredible folks here at HAMB because of my '54! Besides, who wants a car that everybody else has because every part is available or reproduced? So besides spending countless hours on the web scouring parts, checking part numbers and calling possible leads for parts... I LOVE THE MERCURYS AND DAMN PROUD TO OWN ONE!

11. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

I had a 54 Merc hardtop in high school and when we got married we drove it from Seattle to Roswell, NM then back to Seattle when we got out of the Air Force. We brought both of our children home in that car and I finally sold it to get a 4 door to make it easier to haul the kids.

There wasn't any parts available back then either but the nice part about people on the HAMB is most of them will make something else fit if they can't find the proper part.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

13. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I had a 54 monty ht back in 05.I sold it an bought the 56 victoria im working on now.

14. missysdad1

missysdad1

DSC_0146.JPG DSC_0156.JPG My dream car since high school! Finally got my hands on one a couple of years ago. Rust-free Texas body, Lincoln MK VII 5.0 HO /AOD/9-inch. Lowered it with blocks in the rear, dropped spindles and Aerostar coils in front. Cleaned it up inside and adapted a '54 Chevy steering wheel to the previously installed '68 Chevy pickup tilt column.Got a couple of other projects to finish first, but can't wait to get this one underway! Good luck with yours!

15. bigm

bigm
    from Orange, CA

'54 Mercs are on my bucket list. All you gotta do is lower them, whitewalls and cool caps.
    Attaching one of my favorites, Herb Conways '54 from back in the day. DickJacksonCollection41-vi.jpg