Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Questions from a noob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordoors, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Fordoors

Fordoors

My 50 is coming along nicely. Waiting for the long Phoenix summer to break.

I'm using these few months to get some things addressed. specifically body work. I've been going back and forth on shirts and finally decided she'll look better with them. Anyone have any past experience with a particular vendor? Didn't see any vendors in the alliance that carried these.

Also thinking about using 46-49 Lincoln buttons to replace the door handles. I'm a novice (as in my welder is brand new) welder and am wondering if this install might be beyond my skill level at this point. Sure I could try but I might just screw it up beyond repair so thought I'd canvass the group to see if its worth jumping into.

Thanks!
    Michael

2. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume you are referring to fender skirts instead of shirts.

I haven't seen any vendors that specialize in fender skirts. HRP

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

And I'm going to assume you already know those Lincoln buttons cost almost $400.

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hmmm, perhaps the driver would look better with "shirts," but I'd suspect the car definitely would look good better with "skirts"...however, there are several places that carry "skirts"...Nite Prowlers is one of them and Google is your friend: http://fenderskirtdepot.com/Chevy/

There's a manufacturer of new Lincoln push buttons on here somewhere...possibly do a search of threads...or the HAMB O-dex...(I'm not sure you'd need to weld anything to put in the Lincolns...guess it would depend on the car...)

Good luck with the build, post some pix as you go...

R-

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Fender shirts...Why not? My Porsche customers fitted their 356es with BRAS...

I recall seeing those repop Lincoln buttons on here too, seemed like $140 the pair?
    Someone knows...

6. not sure if you are up to installing those buttons or not....i'm guessing that if you aren't sure , then maybe not. why not post some pictures of what you have done so far? we could then get a feel for your abilities

why do you want to install them? are you building a custom? i like the look of the stock handles on a `50 Ford. i suggest you put the time/effort/money elsewhere on the car

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I think I saw muscle shirts on a Chevelle once....

8. there are plenty of vendors on here that sell shirts!:D

It depends on what look you are going for. I decided to remove my skirts when i did my body work the first time. I thought it looked good with the look was going for. I've seen plenty of them with skirts that look great too

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

XXXXXL My T Bucket takes a 2XL.

10. Fordoors

Fordoors

Dagnabbit!

Anyhoo...yes, skirts. I like the shaved look...to a point. From what I've heard, electric poppers are a pain, so figured the Lincoln buttons and a mechanical popper would be a good alternative. 36-3 makes a good point...so many other things on my list. Suppose I was equating how she looked to the money I put into her. That said, I just trimmed off what I thought was some light rust only to find the fender underneath the skin was no bueno. Not sure how deep I want to go on what is just a fun weekend driver. Maybe glob on some POR15, weld some new metal and hope for the best. Ugh.

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

Electric poppers are great for show cars,but if you plan to use it as a daily or more than occasional driver,go with the Lincoln buttons.

12. As far as electric door openers,I learned a long time ago that they are cool until it's raining and you can't get them to work,,I a motel parking lot you will end up looking for a nice big rock from their landscaping,,ask me how I know! :rolleyes: HRP

13. camerl2009

camerl2009

what part in the rust on(its always worse on the other side) macs auto parts mite have a patch panel for it. in my train of thought por 15 is for surface rust I like using it inside panels to give them some protection but id just replace the metal if its rotted through or real thin

14. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

REALLY...??? I guess I must have owned a lot of "show cars" over the years...matter of fact, I've only owned one car that had door handles...and that was my Stude coop...of course, that was before I learned how to make them work well...

I guess I must have the magic touch then...I've never had any trouble making electric door openers work, in the rain or freezing cold...I'd better pat myself on the back...

R-