Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 42' ford coupe front end questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtmopar, Aug 7, 2014.

1. vtmopar

vtmopar
    from Vermont

Hello,
    I am getting ready to start up this winter on my coupe still gathering parts and doing research.
    I have to decided to use my stock front axle with adding disc brakes.
    Can you guys shed some light on what I should expect and use to make this work.
    thanks.
    5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern
    drivetrain 302/C4/9"

2. Speedway makes the brake kit and brackets, but there are lots out there.. The '42 frame is the same as the '46 (the 41 axle was slightly narrower).

You need the bracket and calipers and brackets, I got my from Speedway because, being cast iron, looked beefier than the steel ones... you'll need a dual MC, MP brakes makes the whole bolt on bracket that goes under the floor.

You may need residual valves because of the underfloor MC, just remember to mark which one goes where BEFORE you take them out of the package... They look the same.

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It is a pretty straight forward conversion, just use the proper kit for your spindles which should be the square back style. The cast brackets mentioned above are for the 37-41 round back spindles. The 4.5" bolt pattern set up uses a Chrysler rotor (Volare, Diplomat, etc). Some kits use the GM G-body (metric) caliper and some use the GM larger full size car caliper.

4. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I have the speedway kit for 4-1/2 bolt pattern...I have the 42 spindles.
    I have the Chassis Engineering brake pedal with a Ford dual master disc/drum late 60's mustang.
    2# res valve for the front and 103 for the rear drums.

Kit was a breeze to install, my kit had all the parts, calipers, rotors etc and they were same as 31Apickup said.
    The spindle nut was a pain to get the cotter pin in, and the dust caps needed some "help" to get them seated.

Good luck

5. vtmopar

vtmopar
    from Vermont

Thank you guys points me in the right direction.

6. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

That's what I am running on my 46 coupe and drives great, if you do split the wish bone , there are several kits available that split the wishbone and also give you a tranny mt. don't mess up the geometry of the front end by splitting the wish bone too far apart. 41 to 48 fords have tons of room and there is no reason to butcher the frame or front suspension.

7. vtmopar

vtmopar
    from Vermont

I was looking at one from speedway with the trans mount.
    What one would you recommend?