Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thunderbirdesq Builds a Roadster!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thunderbirdesq, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Wow, just when you think it can't look any better it does.
    Nice

2. Hence the cars new nickname...The Moth Eater! Lookin' good Andy

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hah, I thought you were gonna call it the gaping hole! Yeah I think there's probably a few of his bretheren stuck in the grille as well!

Really? Why not, Jimmy? Just curious, as I REALLY dig 'em! I think it gives it a cold-blooded, almost reptilian facet... lol!:D

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  4. They don't tie in with the late 40s early 50s build, I feel they detract away from the simple lines of your roadster, Louvers are perfect for hoods, hoodsides & bellypans (where ya need to get rid of heat). I would never have a louvered decklid unless it was a rear engined vehicle. They also look like a giant cheese grater and also louvered decks reminds me of 1970s builds. Sorry to sound like an arsehole that is just my thoughts on louvered decklids. Besides the decklid, I have enjoyed your roadster build thoroughly.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Haha, Don't be sorry, no offense taken, I was just curious as to your thinking. I love them, and have seen more than a few examples in the littlebooks of the 50's (moreso on street/drag cars, I guess...) I suppose it's an easy enough thing for the next guy to change if he so desires. Now, excuse me, I gotta go grate some cheese...:cool:

6. I can't believe you punched those by hand with a home made die and a 5 pound hammer, you're freaking crazy !

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I LOVE the louvers...Seen lots of them on decklids in the little pages like you said

8. I like them, nice work Andy. Now go grate me some cheese !

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn Andy is keeps getting better.

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Added a finned delco coil and a chrome gen cover, also finally hooked up the whole road draft tube... Not much left to do! I bought old style hose clamps to replace the worm gear style on there too, haven't installed them yet.

[​IMG]

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yea, me too, except now I gotta find a brown cap for the mallory to match!:D

13. hasty

hasty

Looks fantastic

14. Andy,

Coil looks good in there. Let me look in my box of goodies, I may have a brown cap or two.

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Dude, if you have two, I want one of them!

Well, I'm in the final push to get this thing COMPLETELY done. I think that this will be the first time I've ever accomplished that with any vehicle I've owned. A personal milestone for sure. I know lots of folks say "they're never done", but don't believe it... In a few weeks, this old girl will be DONE.

I currently have it torn down to replace any semblance of modern hardware, new wire hose clamps, Rajah clips, polished alum thermo housings. Also working on the leather seat (finally).

Just picked these up yesterday too... two old original Stellings air cleaners! They're a little crusty, but look perfect on top. Mojo, fo-sho...:D:D

Attached Files:

16. Where'd you get the wire hose clamps from?

17. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

hey dont forget about that new cowl band at my place...u know if you need anything here just as its yours

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

A buddy of mine here bought out an old parts store inventory, going out to his place to grab them this afternoon. He's on the hamb, I don't know if he'd be interested in selling any more or not, but PM me and I can put you in touch...

Thanks bro, as always, you rock... I'll call ya later, I've been working on our club plaques!:cool:

19. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Sweet im around all day

20. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Not sure why I just found this thread....they seem to come and go fast....but excellent job with your roadster....nice build. Oh, and my coupe has a louvered deck lid and I like it...can't believe you did those by hand...amazing

21. haring

haring

It has been a long time since I've posted anything on the HAMB. Most of my projects were on hold, and I took a break from working on old cars. Just needed a little break.

This thread about your car got my fires stoked again, so thank you.

Building a great car is inspiration for everyone here.

22. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

The countdown is on! :D
    Incredible looking roadster!

23. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

I wanted to say thanks for taking time to post such a detailed description of your build. For guys that don't have much fabrication experience it really is helpful. I wouldn't have the first idea how to build a hotrod myself, and I haven't even learned to weld yet, however these are things I see myself soon learning to do.

Threads like this really help guys like me that have absolutely no one around them to learn from.

Also, of course, awesome build.

Brandon

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks Brandon, glad it could give you some insight. When I was younger I was in the same boat, I loved hot rods, but building one just seemed "out of my league."

Now if someone would just buy it...

Here's a shot by Dave Mckee from Detroit Autorama this past feb...

[​IMG]

25. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just discovered this, and this fucker ROCKS! Can't believe you're gonna sell this bad boy......unless it's to get a 32, 33 or 34!!!

BEAUTIFUL CAR !!!!!

26. Jantrix

Jantrix

It is a real treat to see such excellent craftsmanship and styling on a real traditional rod. Well doen and best of luck on selling it.

27. snot275

snot275

I know this thread is old as balls but... DAMN! Just read through all 20 pages and am almost sad it's over! Beautiful roadster and awesome build thread. Best 3 hours I've spent on the internet in a long time. Super motivating for my roadster build as well. Cheers to a job well done dude....
    And no people, I don't feel bad for bumping this. It's educational for new members, haha.

28. years later ..and yes that was one nice build..Good one Thunderbirdesq